Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weather stripping

Old 03-08-2014, 04:55 AM
gippy87
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weather stripping

My windows leak. i know not only is the weather stripping bad but the sealant behind the metal channel that holds the weather stripping is bad allowing water to come in from behind the weather stripping. I've purchased new weather stripping but i'd like to go a step further and purchase the metal channel that the weather stripping sits in. Mine appears to have been taken off previously and looks slightly damaged. My question is where can i buy this and is there an official name for what im looking for? I can never seem to find it in any search results.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Originally Posted by gippy87
My windows leak. i know not only is the weather stripping bad but the sealant behind the metal channel that holds the weather stripping is bad allowing water to come in from behind the weather stripping. I've purchased new weather stripping but i'd like to go a step further and purchase the metal channel that the weather stripping sits in. Mine appears to have been taken off previously and looks slightly damaged. My question is where can i buy this and is there an official name for what im looking for? I can never seem to find it in any search results.
Here's the part diagram for the roof panel on my 98.
CLICK HERE
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

gmpartshouse.com would be a good place to start. Good prices and great service.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 PM
gippy87
Instructor

definitely a good start. I found weather strip retainer which is what im looking for except they dont list it for the hardtop.. getting closer haha
Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good advice above!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a hardtop good luck .. They all leak

Do the targa conversion like I did .. I haven't even sealed any of the tracks and used old weatherstrips and somehow I have no leaks

Mine leaked some as a hardtop .. Looked like it was caulked previously and needed redoing

But look on eBay .. I've seen a few on there .. Search for reveal moldings c5, c5 weatherstrip, windshield weatherstrip c5 corvette, etc

Sold all mine to a guy on here when I did the conversion
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 PM
gippy87
Instructor

GM parts house has been very unhelpful so far. The way they've handled the emails give me the feeling they're mad at me for not buying the weather strip from them.. lol as crazy as that sounds see for yourself.

Me:
Original message
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2014 11:11 PM
To: gene@gmpartshouse.com
Subject: Parts

Hello I'm looking for weatherstrip retainers for a 2000 corvette hard top. I
can not for the life of me find them anywhere. They are easy to find for the
coupe or convertible but not the hardtop/z06. I have just purchased new
weather stripping but the channel itself is damaged and also needs to be
replaced i hope you guys can help!

On Mar 10, 2014 9:49 PM, "Gene Culley" <gene@gmpartshouse.com> wrote:

Hello Christopher,

I looked and couldn't find where you purchased the weatherstrips from us.
What weatherstrips are they?

Thank you,
Gene.

Owner Of GM Parts House
Shop Online @ www.gmpartshouse.com

Me:
I didn't purchase the weather stripping from you. Do you have the weather strip retainers for a hard top?

Me after few days no reply:

Any luck finding them?

On Mar 14, 2014 5:46 PM, "Gene Culley" <gene@gmpartshouse.com> wrote:
Hello Christopher,

You’ve provided me with vague information, even after requesting further information. I can’t help someone only wanting to provide little information. I would suggest contacting the company from whom you’ve purchased the weatherstrips from.

Thank you,
Gene.

Owner Of GM Parts House

Shop Online @ www.gmpartshouse.com

Me:
I'm sorry, I don't know what other information you need. You've only asked me about the weather strip I already purchased which I informed you was not purchased from GM parts house. I stated in the first email 2000 corvette hard top weather strip retainers which I thought was pretty detailed. if you need more than that please let me know what else you need and I'll get you that info. I bought the weather striping from a private sale on a forum not a buisness so they will be no further help to me in purchasing new parts for my car. I came to you because of all the great reviews and recommendations on the corvette forum. Hope you guys can help. Thanks!

Last edited by gippy87; 03-17-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Formatted E-Mail to read top to bottom
Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

it would of been alot easier for him to just say "no, sorry we dont sell that part" instead of getting all pissy b/c you bought a part from somewhere else

I used his website for diagrams when I did my targa conversion and just looked at it again .. no sign of the retainers for a hardtop

EDIT - sending you a PM .. I might know someone who will have some ready to sell soon

Last edited by Adrians99FRC; 03-14-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
gippy87
Instructor

Just an update I've still never gotten a response from gene @ gmpartshouse since the last email shown above. Crazy, there are so many good reviews i believe i've even purchased parts from them in the past without an issue. Thanks Adrians99FRC but I'm not sure we are talking about the same parts here. The reveal moulding is the actual plastic moulding that goes up the a pillar on the exterior of the car correct? I'm looking for the metal channel that holds the weather strip in place. mine is bent.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

It's two pieces .. Most of the time there sold together

Well on a hardtop there's 4 pieces on each side .. Two moldings and two channels
Old 03-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Need to seal between the car and the reveal molding then between the reveal molding and the channel that holds the weatherstrip

Get notified of new replies

To weather stripping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weather stripping