Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM
drseth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem. I am on my 3rd tank with Techron. The gauge has gone to 3/4 to empty twice now.

I am taking my car in next week for a PCM update, injector service, coolant flush, and manual transmission fluid change. Hopefully I won't see the P1431 for5 a long long time.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

This is why I never brag about Gas Mileage on my C5 - you have to get great mileage to offset the extra $12 of Techron per tank to keep the gas gauge semi-working.

Still surprised no 3rd party ever developed a better sender-unit solution. I don't see any other cars that have to guess at their fuel level. I have already replaced my senders once and I have spent hundreds of dollars in Techron (and BG 44K when the Techron quits working).
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine was acting up for sometime and still isnt 100% all the time but its pretty darn good. A techron bottle every now and then helps. Shell V Power gas seems to keep it pretty happy. I always reset trip A once I fill up just incase the gauge fails and wont come back with the diagnostics on the computer so I know roughly how many miles I have gone. OP keep trying the techron. Even filling then driving and letting it sit should help soak the senders.

What are the worst stations now? I noticed sunoco is bad. I thought it was the fuel of NASCAR!! I know Shell is Top tier and I guess BP has recently joined but what about some other main stream ones like Speedway and Marathon with STP!!!? haha I'm in Ohio and can find 93 pretty easy. Shell and BP like to price premium a bit higher than others but again I've always had luck with V power.

Last edited by PEETYZ; 04-15-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:20 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Not just sender contamination

Everyone new to this situation needs to keep in mind that sending unit contamination/failure itself, is NOT the sole cause of the fuel gauge being driven to "zero" by the pcm.

Those that may be, or are, unknowingly experiencing failure of the right tank siphon-jet pump, are going to be very surprised when they find themselves on the side of the road while awaiting the AAA guy to bring them gas.

IOW, just using the Trip odo to keep track of miles driven in order to ignore the fuel gauge "zeroing" out until they (hopefully) reach 300 - 350 miles driven, as some may be tempted to do, is going to BITE you.

At a minimum, I would recommend replacing the right tank pump/sender assembly if you have tried Techron (or some other fuel treatment) unsuccessfully.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM
riverrat68
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default gas guage

Mine , like I said isn't zeroing out. It is only filling to half way. I think maybe my problem might be caused for the same reason???
Jerry
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Everyone new to this situation needs to keep in mind that sending unit contamination/failure itself, is NOT the sole cause of the fuel gauge being driven to "zero" by the pcm.

Those that may be, or are, unknowingly experiencing failure of the right tank siphon-jet pump, are going to be very surprised when they find themselves on the side of the road while awaiting the AAA guy to bring them gas.

IOW, just using the Trip odo to keep track of miles driven in order to ignore the fuel gauge "zeroing" out until they (hopefully) reach 300 - 350 miles driven, as some may be tempted to do, is going to BITE you.

At a minimum, I would recommend replacing the right tank pump/sender assembly if you have tried Techron (or some other fuel treatment) unsuccessfully.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 PM
drseth
Instructor

One problem with using the trip odometer in lieu of a malfunctioning fuel gauge is that, if the battery goes dead or is disconnected, the trip odometer goes to zero on the return of electric current. So, if you have driven 150 miles when the battery goes dead, you may run out of gas with 200 miles on the trip odometer.

Why would I know this? I had an Oldsmobile with the same problem and had to call AAA for a gas call.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luke87gt
I notice you show two vin numbers? Based on your feedback:

35111542 or greater requires you to drop the tank
35222542 means new fuel system

Are you saying that if the vin occurs between these two numbers you have the old fuel system AND you still have to drop the tank?

My vin is 35114XXX, so I'm between these two numbers you provided.

Also, I'm still hoping someone can steer me to a recall#/TSB for this.

In the meantime, I'll still try the Techron for a couple more tanks.

Lastly, what is RPO mean?
don't think there is a recall considering GM put the same sensors in the C6
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the issue with my 02 and after replacing the sending units in each tank 4 times I finally found out that top tier gas like Chevron or Texaco that has Techron in it is all you can use. Once I had changed out the units in each tank and always used the top tier I never had another issue. You can't use these off the wall brands like at grocery stores or convenience stores or Race Track, cheap fuels will ruin the units.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM
riverrat68
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a recall on the sending units or fuel cross over lines on the 08?
Jer
Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Vette Boy TN
Advanced

Default Infamous Gas Gauge

I added Techron at about 3/4 tank and before it had used to a 1/4 tank the gauge was working again. Then I added another 20 oz of Techron to a topped off tank (EXXON no Texaco or Chevron within 50 miles of where I live still open) and the gauge registers almost a full tank but, not quite. Do I still have a problem?
Also, I've found a 100% gas station that says it does not add ethanol. Would that be better than one with 95% gas and 5% ethanol for the gauge issue and the car overall?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM
drseth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vet Boy
I added Techron at about 3/4 tank and before it had used to a 1/4 tank the gauge was working again. Then I added another 20 oz of Techron to a topped off tank (EXXON no Texaco or Chevron within 50 miles of where I live still open) and the gauge registers almost a full tank but, not quite. Do I still have a problem?
Also, I've found a 100% gas station that says it does not add ethanol. Would that be better than one with 95% gas and 5% ethanol for the gauge issue and the car overall?
We must be in the same boat, because my fuel gauge pointer is on the mark below the full mark.

I just came home from the dealership, after having a radiator flush and refill, manual transmission fluid change, oil change,and a fuel injector service. The dealer said the injector service might help, since they also added this BG additive in the fuel tank. I filled it with 92 Octane, even waiting to see if it might take a while for the tanks to equalize and read full, but it still is at the mark below full on the gauge after fill up. If I get another P1243 code, I will let you know.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Had this problem from Day 1 on my 98 C5. Tried Techron, made no difference. Turn the car off and on again and the problem goes away for a while. It was not permanently fixed until 2006 when the dealer reflashed the computer with updates. Has not happened since. I still chuck Techron in occasionally, mainly 'cos I typically run cheap gas - Costco or supermarket "off brand" - plus of course Costco regularly puts Techron on sale.
It's interesting...

Some people swear by the Techron and some people say Techron didn't help. For me it helps but doesn't cure the problem.

Some people say the PCM reflash cured the problem and some say it didn't help.

F YOU GM for designing such a POS fuel sensing/sending system and causing so many of us heart-ache.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Durran Ranney
Navigator

Default dealer reflash for tsb

Originally Posted by 98-corvette
Techron at Autozone, buy one get one 20 or 12 oz.
can anyone that has had this reflash done for the fuel sending units tell me what is cost and how you went about explaining it to them
Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 PM
drseth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Durran Ranney
can anyone that has had this reflash done for the fuel sending units tell me what is cost and how you went about explaining it to them
When I took the car in last week, they said the reflash had already been done. The reflash TSB was from 2003, so unless you have not been to the dealer since 2003, a reflash would help.

Reflash.....Check
Techron x 6.......Check
New Sending Unit......Next
Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 PM
drseth
Instructor

I just came in from taking the car on a drive after replacing the right side Fuel Pump/Sender. I found an AC-Delco Unit on Amazon for less than $200, and it came today via UPS. I spent 3 hours total, most of it draining gas out of the tank, but it was very straightforward. My car did not require dropping the fuel tank, so it was a matter of jacking the car, removing the right rear wheel and inner fender, then remove a part of the tank shield held with a 10mm net and a 12mm bolt. From there the fuel pump/sending unit was looking at me. I unhooked the two fuel lines, the wire connector, and 6 7mm screws and it came right out!!!

After replacing the sender and putting everything back together, I went on a test ride. No runs, no drips, no errors, like Johnny Bench used to say. I did fill it up, which caused the fuel gauge to go just past the full mark. Previously it topped off at 7/8 tank when it was full.

I looked over the sender I took out, and the contacts were full of deposits that were so thick, my ohm meter could not register for most of the sweep. I took some emery cloth and gave it a good going over, and it worked perfectly.

Some thoughts. I am so glad I didn't let the dealership change it out, charging me $983.00. I got an AC Delco unit, same as the dealership specified, for under $200 on Amazon, and some sweat labor got it fixed. If I didn't have to drain gas, I could have done it in under 2 hours. Seeing how well the old fuel pump/sending unit is working now, I think my suggestion on someone having gas gauge problems is to remove it and clean it, and put it back in. I didn't need the fuel pump/sending unit after all. It just needed a good cleaning and light sanding.

Instead of almost $1000, I spent $200, but I could have fixed it for just my labor.

Something to think about.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
drseth
Instructor

Originally Posted by drseth
I just came in from taking the car on a drive after replacing the right side Fuel Pump/Sender. I found an AC-Delco Unit on Amazon for less than $200, and it came today via UPS. I spent 3 hours total, most of it draining gas out of the tank, but it was very straightforward. My car did not require dropping the fuel tank, so it was a matter of jacking the car, removing the right rear wheel and inner fender, then remove a part of the tank shield held with a 10mm net and a 12mm bolt. From there the fuel pump/sending unit was looking at me. I unhooked the two fuel lines, the wire connector, and 6 7mm screws and it came right out!!!

After replacing the sender and putting everything back together, I went on a test ride. No runs, no drips, no errors, like Johnny Bench used to say. I did fill it up, which caused the fuel gauge to go just past the full mark. Previously it topped off at 7/8 tank when it was full.

I looked over the sender I took out, and the contacts were full of deposits that were so thick, my ohm meter could not register for most of the sweep. I took some emery cloth and gave it a good going over, and it worked perfectly.

Some thoughts. I am so glad I didn't let the dealership change it out, charging me $983.00. I got an AC Delco unit, same as the dealership specified, for under $200 on Amazon, and some sweat labor got it fixed. If I didn't have to drain gas, I could have done it in under 2 hours. Seeing how well the old fuel pump/sending unit is working now, I think my suggestion on someone having gas gauge problems is to remove it and clean it, and put it back in. I didn't need the fuel pump/sending unit after all. It just needed a good cleaning and light sanding.

Instead of almost $1000, I spent $200, but I could have fixed it for just my labor.

Something to think about.
And all of the Techron, BG Fuel System Cleaner, and the GM Fuel System Cleaner in the world could not remove the deposits that kept the sender from working correctly, but all it needed was some elbow grease and Emery Cloth.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 PM
luke87gt
Pro

It took about three treatments of Techron, but so far the gas gauge has been working normally for the last month or so... I'm not going to hold my breath however, lol

Get notified of new replies

To Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0

Old 05-18-2014, 01:26 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by luke87gt
It took about three treatments of Techron, but so far the gas gauge has been working normally for the last month or so... I'm not going to hold my breath however, lol
When this happens it takes at least 3-4 treatments for mine to go back to normal. Happens I'd say every 2 years or so.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrec10
Techron techron techron techron techron

Since purchasing a new '03 Z06, I've used nothing but Chevron 99% of the time and the other times I've used Shell, Exxon, and Mobil, along with a 20 oz. bottle of Techron every 3K miles. My gas gausge doesn't work after 11 years. Techron isn't the entire answer.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:58 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Interestingly, my issue with the gas gauge is error when the car switches tanks (about halfway fuel capacity).

Wonder if there is a reflash for that?

Quick Reply: Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0