Sponsored by:

Pull key wait 10 sec

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 PM
roarkace
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pull key wait 10 sec

Been getting Pull Key Code a lot lately. No column lock issues ! Installed new battery etc. Still getting code . So I search the forum for clues . Get in car,insert key,turn to on position,hear column lk motor energize, Turn key off ,pull key,hear column lk motor energize again,so far so good ! Now the problem ,my steering wheel is not locked! All the years that I've owned the 03 I never noticed that the wheel was not locked ! If the previous owner from 10 years ago had installed a CLB would the lock motors energize ? I thought the CLB bypassed the lock motor and it did not energize ! What have I got here ?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:35 PM
roarkace
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If there was a CLB or LMC5 installed the lock motor would have been disconnected so it cannot cycle. ie you DO NOT have either installed.

Send an email to either of the two following Forum supporting vendors along with your VIN and ask them to email you a copy of the GMVIS for your car.

dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com Dennis Fichtner

gene@gmpartshouse.com Gene Culley

When you get the GMVIS back look to see what date(s) are associated with the column lock recall service. Specifically is there a date around or just after Jan 2006? Several possibilities of what could be going on.
Post back the dates of Column Lock service by GM.

In a nutshell the column lock system works on the concept of a command issued by the BCM must result in a response to the command so the BCM can keep track of the "state" of the column lock. Several things can result in the BCM NOT getting back the "completed" signal from the lock motor in response to a lock or unlock command. The Pull key...... message is a result of the BCM having an incorrect "state" for the system. Specifically it has a "unlocked" state when it expects to have a "locked" state. When you insert the key to start the car the BCM senses this action and first checks the "state" it keeps for the system. If the state is locked, the BCM generates an UNLOCK command to the lock motor. The lock motor is supposed to retract the lock pin and then generate a "completed" back to the BCM. If the BCM failed to get the completed signal it assumes the column is locked and sends an "enable fuel shutoff" command to the PCM and then generates a "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" message in the DIC. If the driver ignores the message the PCM will shut off the fuel when the vehicle reaches 2mph. Idea is to prevent a dumb driver from attempting to drive with a locked column. BCM has NO WAY short of the state it keeps to know if the column is locked or unlocked.

On the other hand if the BCM received a completed signal after the unlock it marks the state as "unlocked" and allows you to start and drive the car.

When you turn off the engine and remove the key, the BCM senses that and sends a LOCK command to the lock motor. The lock motor is supposed to extend the lock pin and send a "completed" signal to the BCM. If the BCM receives the completed it sets the state to locked. On the other hand if the BCM never got the completed signal, nothing happens until the next attempted start of the car when the BCM discoveres the wrong state.

In your case you say you hear the lock motor operating. What we need to know is if recall variation 04006C was done to the car. That variation would have replaced the lock plate with a small diameter lock plate that prevent the column from physically locking and also would have installed the legendary GM K Harness in the column lock circuit.. The K Harnesses are crap and most fail quickly but are most prone to failing when the battery goes low. Since the K Harness is installed in series between the lock motor and the BCM, a failure of the K Harness can prevent the BCM from getting back a needed "completed" signal. The K Harness is a relay and it is possible for part of the relay function to fail but NOT all of it.

Info about the actual work and dates of GM Column lock recall service on your car will help refine what is actually happening. The Column Lock relay (located in the passenger footwell above the BCM may be waht actually failed.

And for what it's worth, GM has NEVER EVER had a permanent solution to the column lock symptoms. Every GM solution will eventually fail CLB or LMC5 will resolve the column lock symptoms.

The best long term solution will be to install a CLB or LMC5........
Thanks, the lock motor is definitly cycling, and the steering wheel is not locked,so i'm guessing it has the lock ring installed ,i will email and try to get the GMVIS notes
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have nothing to add
\
good luck
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 AM
roarkace
Instructor

Received my GMVIS and it appears that N040006 service recall was performed Nov. 2004.Seeing as how my column does not lock ,it looks like it was actually done ! So i guess i need to find the K Harness and replace it with an updated CLB ,any suggestion which is the best ?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I highly recommend the LMC5. Slick design and you DO NOT need to remove anything done in the recall. They have a great video on the install in their eBay ad, it may be on their website also by now. It also allows you to unplug or remove the factory CL relay to take is out of the circuit so it cannot fail and introduce an issue. Feel free to PM me and I can discuss.

PS: Richard provides great service also. Some BCMs have a slightly different timing response so he actually has some versions he will provide/free replace if you have any issue with the install. It is cheap too at only about $40.

Get notified of new replies

To Pull key wait 10 sec

Quick Reply: Pull key wait 10 sec