Sponsored by:

Z06 MAF on 99 FRC with Donaldson Blackwing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 AM
jasonprobasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 MAF on 99 FRC with Donaldson Blackwing

I've got a 99 FRC that I'm trying to upgrade to a 85mm Z06 MAF. The car came with what looks like a Donaldson Blackwing air intake. Is there different couplers needed to run the Z06 MAF? I realize that it's slightly larger than stock, but I was under the impression that this is a relatively common upgrade. It's just that everything isn't slipping together like it should.

FYI...I do have the necessary 5 wire to 3 wire harness adapter.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 AM
jasonprobasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proper fitment with the air bridge is also an issue.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:00 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

The MAF really isnt a huge choke point when it comes to these things. You must hit a lot of HP before a new MAF is needed. For example my 00 is just kissing the 450rwhp line with the oem MAF and the dyno shop said there is plenty of room to spare. The hassle of making it fit on top of retuning your ECM to calibrate for the larger MAF and different wire set is not really worth it compared to any gains in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonprobasco
I've got a 99 FRC that I'm trying to upgrade to a 85mm Z06 MAF. The car came with what looks like a Donaldson Blackwing air intake. Is there different couplers needed to run the Z06 MAF? I realize that it's slightly larger than stock, but I was under the impression that this is a relatively common upgrade. It's just that everything isn't slipping together like it should.

FYI...I do have the necessary 5 wire to 3 wire harness adapter.
Yes. The Blackwing for a '99 came with a different coupler. If I remember correctly the 78mm MAF slipped partially inside the Blackwing. The larger MAF will not do that. It can be difficult to get everything together and to get the Blackwing and air bridge mounted on the locating pins, but it can be done.
As mentioned unless you are doing other mods that require your engine to be tuned, it probably isn't worth the trouble to install the larger MAF. You will need to the correct MAF table loaded into the PCM.

Last edited by Greg_E; 04-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 MAF on 99 FRC with Donaldson Blackwing

Quick Reply: Z06 MAF on 99 FRC with Donaldson Blackwing