Sponsored by:

ecklers shipping cost sucks

Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default ecklers shipping cost sucks

Went to order some fuel rail cover stickers from them online that will weight .5 lbs and go into a large envelope and shipping will be 16.99 to go from Titusville to orlando. Talking an hour away. Called to discuss it and was told nothing can be done about it. I said sure there is just won't order it. I could drive there but that will be 15.00 in gas. Could go to beach while there but still shipping price is retarded. Rant over
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It's not just Eckler's that is this way - many vendors are high on shipping costs and not just car vendors. They base the shipping charge on the price if the item and many times the item costs less than the shipping charge.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to hunt down a steering wheel nut. $5 part, same flat envelope, and all the GM parts houses wanted $10+ for shipping. I just got a pile of tools from Amazon in two days with free shipping (Prime). I'm right there with you. I hate rip-off shipping rates. I'm willing to spend money on my car, but sometimes they're just over the top.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Ordered something from Corvette America. Weighed less than a pound. Came with 3 and half pounds of catalogs, inserts and other crap. Needless to say shipping was far more expensive than it needed to be.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

In contrast, an example of someone doing it right -

Solo Performance. Two reusable decal panels. I cannot recall the weight but they are fairly heavy vinyl. probably 3 or 4 pounds. shipping was 4 bucks.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

To boot I found the stickers at corvette accessories for 10.00 cheaper qualifying for free shipping. Called but no answer if they had in stock. Maybe someone from ecklers will see this and rethink the shipping. I'll pay the extra 10 bucks for the stickers. Or they can match price difference.

Last edited by mrr23; 04-11-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23
To boot I found the stickers at corvette accessories for 10.00 cheaper qualifying for free shipping. Called but no answer if they had in stock. Maybe someone from ecklers will see this and rethink the shipping. I'll pay the extra 10 bucks for the stickers. Or they can match price difference.
All the Corvette vendors are basically the same when it comes to shipping. Their shipping costs are based on price rather than product and are unreasonable for many things, such as stickers. They also will not deviate from "policy" irregardless of whether they lose a sale or not. I believe shipping charges are a big revenue generator for these suppliers.
As a result I minimize any ordering from them and use other means, such as Amazon, with free shipping on many items and reasonable charges on others!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Everyone has to have a minimum shipping charge and that is $9.99 for us. I do believe if it were me personally and the item cost $5 I would get it locally and avoid any shipping charges at all.

Amazon can charge free shipping and give it to you because the vendors are paying for it. Yes, we have an Amazon store and the Prime free shipping you get is on us.

Shipping is not a high profit generator regardless of what you may think. We purchase brand new boxes for most of our items and we have special tape, etc.

The cost of bubble wrap, boxes, multiple other shipping supplies, the cost of personnel to order the items, receive them, put them away, prepare the items for staging until ready to ship and then ship the items. Then pay for the 401K, medical, dental, vision and other benefits, then the cost of doing business and the things you take a loss on no matter what you try to do, you are left with pennies at the end of the day. And we haven't even started to get to the cost of the facility, keeping the lights on, heat on, running water, etc.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM
mcrank
Advanced

If They can paid if order from Amazon why not when we order.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:47 AM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

Thats why i refuse to buy from ecklers anymore, i bought a gasket that could have fit in an envelope with a stamp, but they charged me 9bucks. and the gasket was only 4 i believe. Some vendors are as bad as an ebay shipping ripoff artist.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:56 AM
Hombre
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do feel you guys pain, but it is not just Corvette or car parts in general doing this. I shoot 1,000 Yard rifle competitions. To do this and be successful you must load and build your own ammo. I ordered a nice order that consisted of 4 barrels ( they weigh 11 lbs each) and with this order I also bought powder and bullets. order was shipped in three box's. Total weight of this order was 25 lbs of powder, 32 lbs of bullets and the 4 barrels at 44 lbs. Cost of these items was $1600 for the barrels. $750 powder, and $625 for the bullets for a total of just sort of 3 grand, shipping cost was billed at $285.

Now don't misunderstand me I am not complaining not at all. Shipping is just something we have to deal with and I for one am grateful that I can pick up the phone an get all of this stuff delivered to my door in 3 or 4 days.

RS
Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 AM
jmxp69
Racer

So what you're saying is shipping was < 10% of the cost of good purchased vs. 200% of the cost of a $5 nut? Sorry, but an envelope, stamp, and 1oz nut is not the same as 100lbs of powder and steel. Big difference.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup, I agree

Two gaskets from Corvette Central, could've fit in a padded envelope... Arrived in a shoebox-sized box and corresponding cost
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm glad ecklers is a few miles up the road from me. Walk ins get a discount, and no shipping. Even after that though they're still higher than a kite on most items.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

It's not that I don't understand there is a cost of materials to ship an item. Nowadays tracking is needed to ensure delivery. Aesautoparts has treated me very well when I have orders stuff from them. 10.00 to ship the door kick panels which came in a 4 foot box is one thing. 17.00 for a sticker that is 12" long I just won't deal with. Find a different shipper.

Last edited by mrr23; 04-12-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:15 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

Agree that some of the shipping charges are crazy! JEGS ship everything for FREE no minimum order & they sell some pretty heavy automotive items.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:26 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Everyone has to have a minimum shipping charge and that is $9.99 for us. I do believe if it were me personally and the item cost $5 I would get it locally and avoid any shipping charges at all.

Amazon can charge free shipping and give it to you because the vendors are paying for it. Yes, we have an Amazon store and the Prime free shipping you get is on us.

Shipping is not a high profit generator regardless of what you may think. We purchase brand new boxes for most of our items and we have special tape, etc.

The cost of bubble wrap, boxes, multiple other shipping supplies, the cost of personnel to order the items, receive them, put them away, prepare the items for staging until ready to ship and then ship the items. Then pay for the 401K, medical, dental, vision and other benefits, then the cost of doing business and the things you take a loss on no matter what you try to do, you are left with pennies at the end of the day. And we haven't even started to get to the cost of the facility, keeping the lights on, heat on, running water, etc.

Well stated and oh so true!!!

Get notified of new replies

To ecklers shipping cost sucks

Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Ordered something from Corvette America. Weighed less than a pound. Came with 3 and half pounds of catalogs, inserts and other crap. Needless to say shipping was far more expensive than it needed to be.
That's one of the reasons that I won't buy from Corvette America. They use you to cover their shipping costs of all of their junk mail even though they have already sent the same stuff out to you over and over. Not to mention that they are way higher priced than everyone else. I told them to stop sending catalogs in the mail and they keep coming.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I agree, lets boycot them, that is only way to get their attention
Old 04-12-2014, 11:59 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley

Excellent response. For those who have become spoiled by opening a web page, sit at home and wait for the proper package to arrive, then complain about having to pay for the privilege this reminder. You don't have to pay for it. Go drive around to stores for several hours and do your shopping. I'm willing to pay for the benefits of home delivery and time savings. It's the same as it's always been, if you don't like the price of something, don't pay it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ecklers shipping cost sucks