Sponsored by:

Plasti-dip the dash????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Plasti-dip the dash????

I have a serious problem with the shiny dash in my vette.It is causing me to lose sight of the highway at times especially when driving through the mountain twisties.What is happening is the shiny dash is causing glare on the windshield.The sunviser and sun glasses are no help. I would like some responses about Plasti-dipping the dash with flat black.I am curious as to whether this would be easily removed if I don't like it.Some might say that they don't have any problems like this,but I am only 5'6" tall and I sit very low in the vette and I think this is why I get so much glare. I will really appreciate some help with this problem.
Thanks
Fred
Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
JohnnyB
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Fred, are your sunglasses polarized? I would make that my first step. I took mine to be inspected yesterday afternoon in bright sunlight and I had forgotten how reflective the dash was, and how effective my polarized sunglasses are at fixing this problem. They totally eliminate the glare. The only downside is that my HUD is not quite as bright when on full power. It's bright enough, just not AS bright.

Best of luck.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Have you tried one of those black or other colored carpeted overlays to cover the dash? That fabric covered surface will probably eliminate most of the glare. It works for me, altho I got one to use in the summer to lessen the heat buildup on the vinyl dash from the sun when I don't have the sunshade up inside the front window. It's a lot easier to cover it up than to have to remove the dash and recoat it.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PlastiDip smells.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Why is it so shiny in the first place? Try cleaning it with simple green as it should be a matte finish from the factory. Sounds like your interior could use a detail.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM
pacat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default polarized sunglasses

I had the same problem with the reflectiion of the dashboard on the windshield. I always bought the Walmart cheap sunglasses. One time I tried on my wifes Raybans sunglasses I couldnt believe the differance. Expect to pay at least $50 for a good name brand
Old 04-25-2014, 03:49 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you,all are great information and I will answer all.Yes I wear polarized glasses.Like Pacat says maybe I should change glasses.The dash was that way when I bought the car and I didn't know any better.I will do as WhiteOut suggests first,as far as using a dash mat,I tried one but didn't like it as I have a convertible.I figured the Plasti-dip would smell but again I have a vert and I never put my top up.Once in 4 years so I wasn't concerned about the smell.I will report results later.Thanks again
Fred
Old 04-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Drunkonunleaded
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you considered flocking the dash? It's what they do on WRC cars and the like to keep glare down. We've flocked a few dashes on some cars where non-cracked dashboards were hard to find. Looks clean, race-inspired, and zero glare.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tint your windshield
Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Black 02
Why is it so shiny in the first place? Try cleaning it with simple green as it should be a matte finish from the factory. Sounds like your interior could use a detail.
My dash does not have any glare at all coming off of it. I have never put any protectants on it and all I use to clean it if needed is a moist rag with some very mild dishwashing soap. I then go back over it with a moist rag (with no soap) and then dry the dash with a soft towel. Works well for me.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 PM
TintingKC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Narco944
Tint your windshield
50% is a perfect shade without being too dark at night.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Stop using Armor all on the dash. Just wipe it with a damp cloth instead.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 PM
2000CorvetteFRC
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

get a dash mat easiest way to fix that issue
Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
Hi Fred, are your sunglasses polarized? I would make that my first step. I took mine to be inspected yesterday afternoon in bright sunlight and I had forgotten how reflective the dash was, and how effective my polarized sunglasses are at fixing this problem. They totally eliminate the glare. The only downside is that my HUD is not quite as bright when on full power. It's bright enough, just not AS bright.

Best of luck.

I had no idea how hard the sunlight was on my eyes til my wife bought me some polarized sun glasses.. Now I can't drive without them!

Also check your laws for 50% tint on the windshield... If allowed you might only need a doctors note.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 PM
TintingKC
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbrent

I had no idea how hard the sunlight was on my eyes til my wife bought me some polarized sun glasses.. Now I can't drive without them!

Also check your laws for 50% tint on the windshield... If allowed you might only need a doctors note.
Just a FYI... Its not legal to tint a windshield in any state. Even with a doctors note most states do not offer exceptions for windshields. You can get the sympathy card with a skin condition or glaucoma in most cases. With the cheaper meters that law enforcement uses you can skate by if you do not go too dark. Their meters only slide over roll down windows. You can do 70 or 80% films too but you get no real glare reduction. Once you do a windshield be prepared to do every car you own. It makes that much of a difference.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:44 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

That's illegal in a lot of states, and provinces.

Frank

Originally Posted by Narco944
Tint your windshield
Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

only you want to devalue your car and make it look like, well you know, but it is your car so do as you please

Get notified of new replies

To Plasti-dip the dash????

Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 AM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

Plasti-dip the dash? WTF? May as well do the door panels console and visors so they all have the same panty dropper look. If its a short thing, get a phone book.

Last edited by CINNEMAN; 04-26-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 AM
pacat
Instructor

Default Meguiar's Natural Shine

If you use something like Armor All on your dash you might also try a different type of cleaner/protectant like Meguiar's Natural Shine. I use it and it does not have the high gloss shine, its more of a flat or satin shine

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...tectant-16-oz/
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
only you want to devalue your car and make it look like, well you know, but it is your car so do as you please
Originally Posted by CINNEMAN
Plasti-dip the dash? WTF? May as well do the door panels console and visors so they all have the same panty dropper look. If its a short thing, get a phone book.
You guys know that plasti-dip is temporary right? Non-permanent. Yea, it's going to 'devalue' lots. In the same way a wrap or goofy leather bra 'devalues' your car.

Anyways. I would strongly suggest not using plasti-dip due to the smell. It's quite hard to get rid of. I did a few trim pieces in another car (removed the trim of course) and even after they dried the smell kind of moved into the car.

You'd probably be going through all the trouble of removing the dash so I'd do something worth it. Flock the dash or get it wrapped in e-suede. After seeing the dash on the Evo X 311rs and some of my friends Evo 8/9s I'm sold on it. Looks nice and no glare.

The flocking process and how easy it can be--> http://forums.evolutionm.net/motor-s...r-weekend.html

Quick Reply: Plasti-dip the dash????