Interesting Smart Phone Apps for Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:32 PM
drseth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting Smart Phone Apps for Cars

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and use Google Maps, Trapster, and someone mentioned an adapter that connects to the OBDII port and transmits data to the smart phone. I just ordered one for under ten dollars.

What other interesting Apps are you using in your Corvette or other vehicles?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have the Galaxy S4 and bought one of the bluetooth ELM327 OBDII devices for around $10.

So far the only app I have used with it is DashCommand which seems OK for displaying some data but I have not yet compared it to competitors like Torque.

My next step is to get a double DIN bezel with the new Kenwood DDX8901HD and MHL cable for direct control of the phone from the dash. Check it out:

For music playback I use Poweramp for local files and Pandora as my "radio" device.

The S4 multi-window feature is nice if you want to put up maps and music or gauges at the same time. I suspect it will be even better with the larger 7" screen on the Kenwood unit.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I love torque. Started with the free version. Figured if I paid it would allow a couple extra features or similar. Suprisingly it is completely different. That may have changed since its been a couple years since I started using it
Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM
drseth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
I love torque. Started with the free version. Figured if I paid it would allow a couple extra features or similar. Suprisingly it is completely different. That may have changed since its been a couple years since I started using it
Different for the better or.......?

Can these Double DIN displays connect with the OBDII Bluetooth gizmo to display data on the screen?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 AM
drseth
Instructor

Default The OBDII Bluetooth Gizmo came yesterday

The gizmo came yesterday, but I had to drive my 2009 Yukon, so I connected it to the OBDII port and paired it to my smartphone. Pretty neat using the $4.99 Torque App. I was surprised at the amount of data that I could access through the phone.

A really neat gadget.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

aLapRecorder and a dash mount.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...o.alaprecorder

Shows engine data, GPS info, lap info for tracks, g meter, all sorts of cool stuff. I've only used the free version.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Smart Phone Apps for Cars

Quick Reply: Interesting Smart Phone Apps for Cars