Sponsored by:

Lighting issues after HID install

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:47 PM
TheSmoothDragon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting issues after HID install

Last weekend I had a set of the Radioflyer bi-xenon HIDs installed with a set of upgraded LED DRLs and HID fog lights. When I picked the car up, all of the lights worked great.

A few days later I moved the car and the twilight sentinel system kicked my lights on since it was dark. When I got out, the headlights didn't close after the lights shut off. I spent some time on forums searching around for a solution. Spent a lot of time toying with the multiswitch (headlight stalk) to try to get them to close.

I eventually figured out that my #6 fuse under the passenger side blew. Popped in a spare fuse and the lights closed. The problem was that now my gauge lights, tail lights and parking lights didn't work. The turn signals worked. The brake lights worked. The gauge lights worked when I pulled out the key.

Went back to the internet and I found I might have messed up the multiswitch in my attempts to get the lights to close since they are apparently fickle. I took mine apart and attempted the free fix by bending the contacts which didn't work. I ordered a new one from Ecklers and just tried plugging it up today and that didn't work.

Any advice on what else to try? I'm at the point where I'm going to put my steering column back together and take it back to the shop who installed the lights to see if they can diagnose the issue. I called a Chevy dealership and they said their solution would be to put in the old lights again because they won't chase aftermarket item related electrical issues. It's frustrating having finally pulled the trigger on everything and getting it installed and now I can't use my car at night.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the same set up but without the HID fog lights and I have had no problems. I did the install myself. You may want to give George (RadioFlyer) a call and see what he has to say.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM
TheSmoothDragon
Intermediate

I've been trading e-mails with him and he's been super responsive and helpful. I wanted to post to see if anyone else had similar issues or knew other things to check.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:54 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Wouldn't it make sense to take it back to the installer and have them check things out? It's most likely that there is a problem with the installation.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One of the fixes George came up with for the headlamps not closing is to upgrade the early 55w low beam ballasts to a 70w ballast. When I got my HID kit with the 55w ballasts, the headlamps would close only when the high beams were turned on. They would not close with the low beams on. But I don't have either of the DRL or fog HID pieces.

Apparently it had to do with not enough resistance from the ballasts. When I got the 70w upgrade ballasts, that solved the problem. Can you turn off the twilight sentinel feature to see if that makes a difference?

Dealerships never really want to do troubleshooting on aftermarket equipment. Their techs are trained to work on factory equipment and the dealerships don't want the liability from trying to fix problems that aren't part of any factory system.

Everything that George sells is designed to be plug-and-play. I agree that you should go back to the installer and have them check everything so that the install matches the provided instruction.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 05-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 PM
TheSmoothDragon
Intermediate

I'm going to try to schedule something with the installer tomorrow. I've got to put my whole steering column back together from swapping out the multiswitch. It sounds like something just went wrong with the install then.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I installed RadioFlyer's ACA Bi-xenon lights a couple weeks ago myself. Do you think maybe the Hi-4 Relay may have been wired improperly? Check your under hood fuse panel against RadioFlyer's online install instructions. Maybe a jumper is not in the right position or its not grounded correctly. Just a thought. I know issues like this are frustrating!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:36 PM
TheSmoothDragon
Intermediate

I spent some time digging around in the fuse boxes today and found out that my #6 under the passenger well popped. The headlights still went up and down which was weird but I know that one also affects the parking lights and tail lights (and hopefully the fog lights because those aren't working now).

I replaced it and it popped again when I turned on the headlights. This time they stayed open. When I would replace the fuse the lights would close but it would pop the second I tried turning on the parking lights. I tried out a 15amp fuse just to see if it was a spiking issue but that blew as well. I'm thinking something isn't grounded correctly. I've got an appointment on Wednesday to take it back in to the installer to have them recheck their work. Thanks for the advice, all.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 AM
TheSmoothDragon
Intermediate

Wanted to close out this thread so anyone having similar issues knows how it got resolved.

I took the car back to the installer and it turns out one of the turn signal bulbs was shorting out the system. They replaced it with the old bulb and everything works fine. RadioFlyer is sending out a replacement bulb which I should have before the weekend. Luckily that's one of the easy bulbs that I can just reach under the car to change in a few minutes.

It was great working with RadioFlyer. We traded a lot of e-mail during the last 2 weeks and he helped with troubleshooting the issue. Highly recommended.

Get notified of new replies

To Lighting issues after HID install

Quick Reply: Lighting issues after HID install