Sponsored by:

Windshield wipers STILL won't turn off after replacing motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 AM
ramairguy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wipers STILL won't turn off after replacing motor

I posted the other day about this issue ...So I replaced the windshield wiper motor like some guys had told me and these wipers are still turning on when I start the car up! They will not stop! Driving me nuts.. I have to pull the fuse to get them to stop.. Any thoughts guys???
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 AM
stewgy12
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had this problem once before. Although I was lucky and just drying everything out seemed to solve my issue. I cant remember whether or not the motor and the electronics were integrated. I dont think so. In the motor compartment there is an electrical board. Thats what's causing your issues. I remember removing mine and drying it out thoroughly. Also cleaning it up a bit. If I rememeber correctly its a pretty basic electrical board. You might be able to visually see what's wrong and go from there. I feel your pain. I was so pissed when it started happening. Literally like a day after I bought my car too.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:07 AM
ramairguy
Cruising

Originally Posted by stewgy12
I had this problem once before. Although I was lucky and just drying everything out seemed to solve my issue. I cant remember whether or not the motor and the electronics were integrated. I dont think so. In the motor compartment there is an electrical board. Thats what's causing your issues. I remember removing mine and drying it out thoroughly. Also cleaning it up a bit. If I rememeber correctly its a pretty basic electrical board. You might be able to visually see what's wrong and go from there. I feel your pain. I was so pissed when it started happening. Literally like a day after I bought my car too.
Gotcha. Where is the electrical board located .?
Old 05-18-2014, 11:24 AM
stewgy12
Advanced

So let me apologize in advance. To be fair it was a long time ago.I just had a look and The board I was referring to was intergrated into the motor. I had just washed the car and the motor housing became flooded. I pulled the motor and when I disconnected the wiring water litterally poured out be the motor. I actually took my entire motor apart..... revealing the electrical board. Cleaned it up and inspected it. Im sorry. If you've replaced your motor this wouldn't be relevant. The next place id move to would be up the wiring toward the column switch. How did this happen? Did your motor become flooded? The easiest explanation is usually the right one. Id definitely double check that connector for some kind of oxidation.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:42 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Have you tried to exercise the wiper switch on the column in case the contacts are stuck? Not at home with the FSM to look at other options at this time.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:46 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Just throwing this out there, sticking relay?switch?
Old 05-18-2014, 11:57 AM
ramairguy
Cruising

So let me apologize in advance. To be fair it was a long time ago.I just had a look and The board I was referring to was intergrated into the motor. I had just washed the car and the motor housing became flooded. I pulled the motor and when I disconnected the wiring water litterally poured out be the motor. I actually took my entire motor apart..... revealing the electrical board. Cleaned it up and inspected it. Im sorry. If you've replaced your motor this wouldn't be relevant. The next place id move to would be up the wiring toward the column switch. How did this happen? Did your motor become flooded? The easiest explanation is usually the right one. Id definitely double check that connector for some kind of oxidation.
Yeah. Np. Brand new wiper motor. The wiring connection looked very clean..
Old 05-18-2014, 12:00 PM
ramairguy
Cruising

And I've exercised the wiper switch too... Getting irritated with this ! Aaaaaaa
Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM
stewgy12
Advanced

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/mcvgreg/2009-03-07_165002_1999-Corvette-Wiper-Sch.gif

Here's a very basic wiring diagram. Im looking for a better one. I really have to get on getting a factory service manual. Looks like your purple wire is going to be a good place to start. If you've got it all apart and dont mind a little experiment id check the purple with reference to ground, "voltage and resistance" and flick the switch to see if it changes. Just something to try. Im not even certain of what expected values would look like. Seeing a change at all would be a good sign though. what changed? Flooding or did it just happen one morning?
Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

So guessing they stop when you turn the key off? And they stay off until you turn them back on via the switch.

Last edited by mrr23; 05-18-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM
ramairguy
Cruising

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/mcvgreg/2009-03-07_165002_1999-Corvette-Wiper-Sch.gif

Here's a very basic wiring diagram. Im looking for a better one. I really have to get on getting a factory service manual. Looks like your purple wire is going to be a good place to start. If you've got it all apart and dont mind a little experiment id check the purple with reference to ground, "voltage and resistance" and flick the switch to see if it changes. Just something to try. Im not even certain of what expected values would look like. Seeing a change at all would be a good sign though. what changed? Flooding or did it just happen one morning?

Thanks. I'll try that
Old 05-18-2014, 12:28 PM
ramairguy
Cruising

Originally Posted by mrr23
So guessing they stop when you turn the key off? And they stay off until you turn them back on via the switch.
Yup. Key off. Wipers stop
Old 05-18-2014, 12:33 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm betting on the lever. The connection on is sticking and won't let go on its own. When you shut power to it via the key the internal lever releases because no electricity is getting to it. Think of it as a spring lever. The spring has gotten too weak to overcome the amount of electricity passing through to pull it apart

Last edited by mrr23; 05-18-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 PM
stewgy12
Advanced

What exactly are they doing? Are they o hi, low, int? Very well could be the lever switch.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 PM
ramairguy
Cruising

The seem to come on at a low speed but will go to a high speed when I move the lever into high mode
Old 05-18-2014, 12:59 PM
ramairguy
Cruising

You guys think I should just replace the lever/ switch on steering column? I'm really trying to avoid bringing it to the dealership..
Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 PM
stewgy12
Advanced

Any resolution for this. Im kindve interested. I hate that feeling when the car is broken and ha e no idea what's wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wipers STILL won't turn off after replacing motor

Old 05-18-2014, 05:49 PM
ramairguy
Cruising

Any resolution for this. Im kindve interested. I hate that feeling when the car is broken and ha e no idea what's wrong.
Nothing yet . I took a shot at running the washer fluid to see what would happen, and was able to finally get the wipers to stop for about 3 seconds after doing that, but of course after 3 secs, the wipers started running again on their own.. I really think the switch is bad
Old 05-18-2014, 06:16 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

First of all where did you buy the motor ? Was it new or rebuilt ? Did it come with the electronic module on it ? If it was rebuilt and bought through Advance auto parts or one of those parts places then it is probably bad because the same thing happened to me. I bought the complete motor with module and it did the same thing. I inspected it inside and it was barely touched . Still had rust and dirt inside. I returned it and got a second one and the same thing, wouldn't stop running so I went to GM and bought a brand new module and put it on my original motor and it fixed it .
Old 05-18-2014, 06:25 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem as ramairguy. My electric guy found the udders were clogged, which caused the motor to get flooded. When he got the motor apart it was fine, but the module was toast (shorted).

He cleaned up the motor (took out the dirt/crap), put on a new module, cleaned the udders, put it back in and it's been fine for the last 18 months.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers STILL won't turn off after replacing motor