Sponsored by:

Polishing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 AM
CorvetteSPAZ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polishing windshield

Has anyone had experience polishing the windshield? I've always had windshield wiper marks before I got the car, replaced the windshield wipers a long time ago, but wanna make the windshield glass clear again.

Can little windshield wiper scrapes (can't be felt by your thumb or nail) be polished out with rubbing/polishing compound without too much trouble?

Regards,
Mason
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by CorvetteSPAZ
Has anyone had experience polishing the windshield? I've always had windshield wiper marks before I got the car, replaced the windshield wipers a long time ago, but wanna make the windshield glass clear again.

Can little windshield wiper scrapes (can't be felt by your thumb or nail) be polished out with rubbing/polishing compound without too much trouble?

Regards,
Mason
I'd try Clay Bar first, see if that removes some of it.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I have tried polishing out my windshield, all the compound does is fill in the pit marks temporary. There has to be an industrial product available, as glass is polished when the lenses for telescopes are made. But , I assume it would be a real heavy duty abrasive.
Let's see what comes up in this thread.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny71
I'd try Clay Bar first, see if that removes some of it.
Clay bar does not work, it only removes high spots,
Not abrasive enough.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I asked my trim & auto glass shop guy awhile back and he wouldn't recommend it; often resulted in distortion he said.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:51 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I tried to polish out some pretty nasty wiper marks on a windshield on an old truck I had and it looked worse after my attempt.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Ed Prov
Heel & Toe

Default Windshield scratch repair

Regards,
Mason
Visit gtglass.com or eastwood. Both have scratch repair
solutions.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Regards,
Mason
There are several products made to polish auto glass. I've used the one from Autogeek on my C5 using a PC XP polisher after claying the glass. I didn't have wiper marks so I can't say anything about this product's ability to remove those, but the glass came out looking better.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

Any "polishing" will just remove glass, the same thing an optometrist does when she makes glasses. There WILL be distortion. How much is in direct proportion to the amount of glass removed.

I'd rather have the scratches.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Mothers Quik Detail Spray and it works great for me; better than Windex or other similar products.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 PM
TWO5GPA
Racer

I used very fine steel wool (0000) and then rainex. I had seen a video on youtube for windshield cleaning. Worked great for me. Crystal clear.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 PM
wheelman1944
Advanced

Default glass scratches

Originally Posted by TWO5GPA
I used very fine steel wool (0000) and then rainex. I had seen a video on youtube for windshield cleaning. Worked great for me. Crystal clear.
This may sound dumb...but I've tried it on my eye glasses on the advice of a tech at the eye drs. ....pledge....plain ol pledge furniture polish.... May not work.... But sure won't hurt....its a miracle on eye glasses though.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 PM
xdmikey
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try this one first.

I, too, have wiper marks. I thought I was the only one who's previous owner rather wipers without a blade in one!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:02 PM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had good results using compounding polish to clear up a wiper streak. It was down at the base where only visible from the outside. Seems to me that the glass in the windshield is softer that the paint.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 PM
pmurray
Racer

Maybe try RainX or a glass wax. This may fill in the scratch and make it less noticeable.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a glass repair tech come out to my house to repair a rock chip. He did a pretty good job on the chip but he recommended a new windshield one of these days due to the excessive pitting. He is right. When the sun hits the window at a certain angle the windshield is a mess. Thousands of little dots. Almost like paint overspray. I know it's not because I tried scraping the entire windshield with a razor blade. Didn't change a thing. My windshield is pitted. One of these days I'll change the windshield.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wheelman1944
This may sound dumb...but I've tried it on my eye glasses on the advice of a tech at the eye drs. ....pledge....plain ol pledge furniture polish.... May not work.... But sure won't hurt....its a miracle on eye glasses though.
Pledge is also widely recommended for cleaning and restoration of clear vinyl boat windows.

Get notified of new replies

To Polishing windshield

Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 AM
crazystevex
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelman1944
Guy I bought my last truck from cleaned the inside with Pledge....I had to use Plastix polishing compound to remove the perminate milky white streaks etched into the plastics on the insturment cluster just to see the gauges. I would suggest keeping that stuff in the house and away from your cars.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by crazystevex
Guy I bought my last truck from cleaned the inside with Pledge....I had to use Plastix polishing compound to remove the perminate milky white streaks etched into the plastics on the insturment cluster just to see the gauges. I would suggest keeping that stuff in the house and away from your cars.
That was not caused by Pledge,
Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

You would be better off to just man up and buy the new windshield. Buffing something that deep usually just causes distortion or overheating the glass will crack it. The money not spent on buffing supplies can be put toward a new windshield.

Quick Reply: Polishing windshield