Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
bop
CF Senior Member

Default reserve fuel

How much gas is left in the tank when the reserve fuel message appears on the DNC. The DNC was showing I had 103 miles to go before I would run out of gas. It was showing that I had averaged 30.9 MPG with interstate driving at 75 to 80 mph.
bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
F&Yb0dluvr
CF Senior Member

Reserve light comes on at 3 gallons left.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
bop
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the information that would work out about right for my gallons left and the mpg I was getting and the miles left before I run out of gas. I was trying to get back to my non ethanol station to fill back up but did not want to take a chance of running out on the interstate last Saturday.
bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Corvette_Ed
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
Thanks for the information that would work out about right for my gallons left and the mpg I was getting and the miles left before I run out of gas. I was trying to get back to my non ethanol station to fill back up but did not want to take a chance of running out on the interstate last Saturday.
For best results fill up when you reach 1/4 tank. This will help avoid the dregs from the tank flowing through the fuel system.
Corvette_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
3boystoys
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed View Post
For best results fill up when you reach 1/4 tank. This will help avoid the dregs from the tank flowing through the fuel system.
And it keeps the pump cooler which makes it last longer.
3boystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
66dts-v
CF Senior Member

Because my driveway is so steep, it seems I'll park it with 1/4 tank and when I leave for work, it's on "Low Fuel", I always hit the gas station before I head out, its on the way to the highway.

But I have gone close to 80 miles on reserve before. Far less than ideal, but it does happen.
66dts-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
aj98
CF Senior Member

mine pops the reserve fuel warning when the computer calculates my range is 50 miles, based on the current average MPG.

so yea...about 3-1/2 gallons ( @ 15.x mpg city )
or
30-odd mpg as user bop states

Last edited by aj98; 08-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.
aj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Phanni
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Phanni

Why would anyone run their tack that low on purpose? It's hard on the fuel pump (it's immersed in the tank and needs the cooling) and you also suck the dregs through the fuel system. There is no good excuse!
Phanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boystoys View Post
And it keeps the pump cooler which makes it last longer.
This is especially important. I always try to fill up when I have no less than 1/4 tank left.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanni View Post
Why would anyone run their tack that low on purpose? It's hard on the fuel pump (it's immersed in the tank and needs the cooling) and you also suck the dregs through the fuel system. There is no good excuse!
100% No acceptible excuse for letting the tank get that low! "It happens" Don't cut it...........
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
2CRUZIN
CF Senior Member

Quote:
2CRUZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
thisMSGgood4me
CF Senior Member

with those who mention the fuel pump. Best to keep it immersed to keep it running cool.
thisMSGgood4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
TheVettePirate
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 View Post
100% No acceptible excuse for letting the tank get that low! "It happens" Don't cut it...........
TheVettePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Lee DeRaud
CF Senior Member

Lee DeRaud

Quote:
Ok, two questions...
First, how many gallons in the tank does it take to cover the pump? Reserve is 12L, call it 3.2 gallons, and 1/4-tank is 4.5 gallons, only about 5 quarts difference. I usually start planning the next gas stop at 1/4, but around town that's only about a 20-25 mile window.

Second, how hot is the pump designed to run anyway? I'm thinking 100+ day in Phoenix, exhaust pipes running right past the tanks...

I also find myself wondering how much early filling helps with the dregs. Seems like the dregs don't stop building up because you fill the tank more often: eventually the dregs will accumulate to whatever arbitrary fill-up point you select. The fact that there's no easily-replaceable fuel filter in the system is also a bit disturbing.
Lee DeRaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
Lee DeRaud
CF Senior Member

Lee DeRaud

Upon further review, we may be overthinking this...
The fuel pump pickup is at the bottom of the tank, right? Where the dregs are?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
95Z28M6

And wouldnt you think that at 1/4 tank even, the fuel is low enough that it is sloshing from side to side in turns, which would stir up this "dregs" and make it suspended in the fuel. Also the fuel pump is in a sump at the bottom of the tank so it doesnt suck air in cornering when the fuel is low. So as long as the car is still running, the pump is still under fuel.
95Z28M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #17
Biotex
CF Senior Member

Tank has baffles inside that keep sloshing to a minimum. The motor (bearings) are above the pump so it is going to affected by lack of cooling fuel first.

Personally, I feel 1/4 tank is the bare minimum to keep the motor cool. I have noticed the pump gets louder as the gas is being used up. 1/2 a tank sounds like it is not covered to me. I'd love to know the exact position if anyone knows.
Biotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
FourG63 97GST
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to FourG63 97GST

fuel is heavy, that's why
FourG63 97GST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
66dts-v
CF Senior Member

I have a 40+ mile commute and if I take the long way (Skyline Blvd), I have a 40+ mile stretch along the ridge of the west hills. I average 65mph (3rd/4th gear) along that stretch and the nearest GOOD gas station is a solid 15 miles PAST Skyline on my way home.

I prefer to get gas at Skinnys (Shell) in town I am often caught 40+ miles away from there when I notice I am at a 1/4 tank.

So yeah, it happens.

<edit> If running at or bellow a 1/4 causes the pump to fail, then that is a **** poor design. Should have made a bigger tank.

<edit2> I fill up on average 3 times a week with my commute, the last thing I want to do is go to the gas station MORE.

Last edited by 66dts-v; 08-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.
66dts-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #20
Lee DeRaud
CF Senior Member

Lee DeRaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotex View Post
Tank has baffles inside that keep sloshing to a minimum. The motor (bearings) are above the pump so it is going to affected by lack of cooling fuel first.

Personally, I feel 1/4 tank is the bare minimum to keep the motor cool. I have noticed the pump gets louder as the gas is being used up. 1/2 a tank sounds like it is not covered to me. I'd love to know the exact position if anyone knows.
Your half-full tank is a 9-gallon air-cavity resonator.

If the pump requires a certain amount of gas covering it to cool it, a competent engineer would put the reserve limit above that point. If you want to imply that the C5 design engineers were incompetent, be my guest...just let me get out of the splash zone first.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page reserve fuel