Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam input

Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM
SumToy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head/Cam input

Ok guys I have had old school hot rods with heads and cams. (Most was solid lift & Not to streetable.)

Now thinking of doing heads and cam just wanted to know how streetable are they? Do yall do road trips or just stay around town? The thing is I want to be able to drive the car not just have it so that you get worried about it braking springs or something.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:46 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by SumToy
Ok guys I have had old school hot rods with heads and cams. (Most was solid lift & Not to streetable.)

Now thinking of doing heads and cam just wanted to know how streetable are they? Do yall do road trips or just stay around town? The thing is I want to be able to drive the car not just have it so that you get worried about it braking springs or something.
These cars are very streetable with H/C/I. Keep the lift under .600 and you shouldn't have problems breaking springs.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Streetable is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. But what you shuold consider is a mild cam for street use. Duration is what to look at IMO. 220 to 228 on both intake and exhaust with a 114 or 115 LSA. Reason being, these cams keep up torque from a low rpm and give power with little effort off idle. Everyone wants to shove a big cam in their car, but they find that low end torque is gone unless smashing on the peddle all the time. And if your car is an auto, you will want to stay small on the cam otherwise a new torque converter will be necessary. This leads farther and farther away from what would be considered streetable not to mention fuel efficiency.

Just for reference, Im making 430whp with a 220/228 115lsa cam. This is through p&p 243's and LT headers etc. But as you can see, huge cam specs aren't necessary to make power. And the smaller the cam really is the most usable power on the street.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I kept this link. Lots of good info for you on H/C..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...fferently.html
Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Just a note....YOU have to pick where you want your power, the cam spec is going to determine where it's at...either low, mid, or WOT bouncing off the Rev Limiter. I picked a 228r/112/.588 and kept my power building from 3500rpm and up.

Just decide where you want your engine to live at, which in turn determines how much life that build will have. For street use and longevity I stayed on the mild side.

Edited..... mild if you include the Supercharger! LOL!

Last edited by sfc rick; 05-27-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Head/Cam input

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head/Cam input