Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of rotor for my application?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 PM
1fstc5vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What type of rotor for my application?

It's that time to replace pads and rotors. My C5 is mostly garaged, but I enjoy getting on it and taking it to the track to drag at times. With that being said I've heard drilled brakes may look good for the bling, but may crack as well. What are your thoughts on brakeperformance.com's rotors? Should I purchase Cross-Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors, Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors, or Slotted only Brake Rotors? My C5 is black with chrome z06 rims, should I go with the zinc coated rotors that have the black slots and hat or the silver slots and hat? I will be pairing them with Hawk HPS pads.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'd go with the slotted only rotors with the zinc coating.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fstc5vette
It's that time to replace pads and rotors. My C5 is mostly garaged, but I enjoy getting on it and taking it to the track to drag at times. With that being said I've heard drilled brakes may look good for the bling, but may crack as well. What are your thoughts on brakeperformance.com's rotors? Should I purchase Cross-Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors, Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors, or Slotted only Brake Rotors? My C5 is black with chrome z06 rims, should I go with the zinc coated rotors that have the black slots and hat or the silver slots and hat? I will be pairing them with Hawk HPS pads.
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I'd go with the slotted only rotors with the zinc coating.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The C7 has slotted-only rotors.
The Viper has slotted-only rotors.
ALMS GT Race cars:
Corvette C6R: slotted-only
Ferrari F430GTC: slotted-only
Jaguar XKR GT: slotted-only
Porsche 911 GT3 RSR: slotted-only

So, yes, slotted-only is the way to go. Now, the most popular slot type is the J-hook b AP Racing. However, there are a few other rotors that cost less and have somewhat similar slots, such as the Hawk Quiet Slot design:

I'm sure they'd pair well with their own pads.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:54 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Slotted
Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 PM
jmccrary
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The slotted and drilled look soooooo good, but you are basically using a powerful cheese grader on the pads, so be prepared to replace them a lot!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

decent blanks. the hps is a pretty mild pad, great DD pad really, low dust, decent cold bite and no noise. with that pad there's no measurable benefit to a slotted rotor besides those people who think they look cooler

blanks are 40 a rotor, guys spend 5x that on cosmetic rotors here

i don't get it personally

centric has a high carbon iron rotor you can get fairly inexpensive shipped off amazon, stoptech also makes a high quality blank
Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 AM
jmccrary
Instructor

I like think the stockers do good for my daily driver, but racing I would go for a carbon ceramic type of breaking system. I guess in the end, what do you want to do and where do you want to go. A run down the interstate or even a daily, stockers are perfect. Race circuit would be full stainless lines, coupled with rotors, pads, and calipers that would cost more than my car.

Originally Posted by racebum
decent blanks. the hps is a pretty mild pad, great DD pad really, low dust, decent cold bite and no noise. with that pad there's no measurable benefit to a slotted rotor besides those people who think they look cooler

blanks are 40 a rotor, guys spend 5x that on cosmetic rotors here

i don't get it personally

centric has a high carbon iron rotor you can get fairly inexpensive shipped off amazon, stoptech also makes a high quality blank
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmccrary
I like think the stockers do good for my daily driver, but racing I would go for a carbon ceramic type of breaking system. I guess in the end, what do you want to do and where do you want to go. A run down the interstate or even a daily, stockers are perfect. Race circuit would be full stainless lines, coupled with rotors, pads, and calipers that would cost more than my car.

full carbon ceramic is expensive ! i've never even seen them on anything besides the c5-r

usually guys use $30 rotors and pads like the hawk DTC line if they go racing. they don't even really work until 300-400deg and up. absolute destroy rotors too, hence the $30 rotors, you destroy any rotor with a pad that aggressive. they also vaporize the booties on stock calipers. pads are spendy though, just under 300 for the fronts alone

you know something i just ran across? the c6z calipers and the c5 calipers have similar clamping force. the c6z is more modulated and stiffer but overall force is really similar. that surprised me

as for this thread, the only cosmetic perk i could see paying for is the zinc plating. on a street car that gets rarely driven it would be nice to keep the rust down

Last edited by racebum; 05-28-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:32 AM
jmccrary
Instructor

you know something i just ran across? the c6z calipers and the c5 calipers have similar clamping force. the c6z is more modulated and stiffer but overall force is really similar. that surprised me
Amazing that the clamping force is the same, well similar. I guess what sets them apart would be how much abuse the c6z can take over c5 stockers?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:05 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Hawk is the company that makes and recommends their quiet Slot rotors. Apparently, their HPS and Quiet Slots DO go well together - just call Hawk and ask them.

The benefits I've seen and experienced are:

1. Faster initial "bite" with less pedal travel
2. Pads stay parallel to the rotors
3. Glazing due to infrequent use is not an issue
Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave68
Hawk is the company that makes and recommends their quiet Slot rotors. Apparently, their HPS and Quiet Slots DO go well together - just call Hawk and ask them.

a company recommending their own products

you don't say?

i'm not even going to ask how you believe slots make the pad say parallel to the rotor, or what exactly that even means. multi piston calipers almost never have uneven wear issues if that's what you mean

this is literally the ONLY car forum i visit where people are hung up on bling rotors. evo forum, honda tech, we're all on blanks, cheap and throw aways. if you want more bite, use a higher friction co efficent pad, the hp+ perhaps, or, one of my all time favorite street pads ever, the ferodo ds2500, the MU on the new ds2500 is close to .43-.50 depending, the hps isn't even .40 if i remember right. hawk also released an updated pad called the 5.0 which looks pretty cool on paper, higher MU than the hps, but without the dust or noise of the hp+, they are something like .42 or .43, no idea if that climbs as they warm up

the only thing i've found slotted rotors to be useful for is with pads that glaze easily, well, that and they seem to dust more and last fewer miles, likely because of that sweeping motion on the pad...which is why they are great for pads that glaze easily

Last edited by racebum; 05-28-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Uh, I think I have some experience, here. I've been designing and testing rotors for years - slotted, drilled, blank, cast iron, stainless steel (hardened to Rc 40), and of course, lots of pads, including sintered metal.
Even if you don't believe my own experience, seeing all those stock and racing cars with slotted-only rotors, you STILL believe they are bling only? Give AP Racing a call and see if they believe YOUR theory.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:34 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a street car just get centric premium rotors with stoptech street performance pads. $300 for all 4 corners from forum vendor KNS, done.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-serie...nce+Brake+Pads

Last edited by troyguitar; 05-28-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

napa premiums
Old 05-28-2014, 02:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Uh, I think I have some experience, here. I've been designing and testing rotors for years - slotted, drilled, blank, cast iron, stainless steel (hardened to Rc 40), and of course, lots of pads, including sintered metal.
Even if you don't believe my own experience, seeing all those stock and racing cars with slotted-only rotors, you STILL believe they are bling only? Give AP Racing a call and see if they believe YOUR theory.
race cars and street cars have absolutely nothing in common, how you set a car up for consistent operation at 1500deg and at ambient are night and day

there's a reason nearly everyone at your local SCCA meets is on blanks. the braking performance is all in the pad and these are street cars

what works in autocross is vastly more important than what works on a high speed track car when it comes to a street setup

there's a host of solid information on the web about this sort of thing if you cared to look for it rather than just follow the marketing arm of the people pushing these expensive rotors

http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-...d-and-warping/

to start

along with countless threads on forums where people actual care about performance {which isn't here}

i mean, if you want to spend more because you think it looks cool, that's one thing, but street pads don't gas and usually don't glaze. if you had some that did, slotted make sense but you also get more dust and a shorter pad life

in my mind, if i wanted a higher MU on a street car, i'd just get rid of the hps and use the hp+, even their new 5.0 is a has a few points more on the friction mu scale and doesn't have any of the drawbacks of the hp+. on the fronts you would have hps $100, expensive rotors $300-400, OR, 5.0 pads $135, delco durastop rotors $80, that's 400-500 vs 215 and the 215 combo at least has a measurable rise in MU rather than a "i think the slots are increasing my initial friction" feeling

as for the part about you work for and design rotors or whatever else. i don't play the old people internet credibility game. if your argument doesn't support itself i really don't care if you're einstein incarnate

Last edited by racebum; 05-28-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have slotted rotors on the front of my car. I only bought them cause the were closeouts at kns and $100 shipped for both fronts. I didn't notice 1 when switching from a standard blank. I can tell you that 2 and 3 aren't the case. My pads still taper as they always will with matching pistons, and they glaze up if you use the wrong pad for the application. Hell even the right pad. I think to a degree they cause issue because the brake dust in the groves comes out and melts/sticks to the rotor face causing uneven deposits and smearing. They have tons of ****** deposits on them now which is why i am replacing them.

I have plain blanks sitting in my kitchen atm. I got all 4 for around $100 using some coupon codes and shopping for deals. I can just replace them every track weekend without thinking about it for that kind of money.

Last edited by Socko; 05-28-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What type of rotor for my application?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

this is literally the ONLY car forum i visit where people are hung up on bling rotors. evo forum, honda tech, we're all on blanks, cheap and throw aways.
HAHA! my other car is a fiesta ST, not only do all those guys think they are driving straight up race cars. They also feel that slotted and drilled is the only way to go.

I tend to leave them to their sillyness as I use mine as a fun commuter. If nothing else those boards make me laugh at least once a day.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Socko
HAHA! my other car is a fiesta ST, not only do all those guys think they are driving straight up race cars. They also feel that slotted and drilled is the only way to go.

I tend to leave them to their sillyness as I use mine as a fun commuter. If nothing else those boards make me laugh at least once a day.
that's a great commuter,
Old 05-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Dave68
Race Director

So according to you guys....

NO ONE should ever pay more than the price of GM shocks for coilovers for the street

NO ONE should ever buy a catch can, since our cars didn't have them from the factory.

NO ONE should ever install a CAI setup, since you won't gain anything when street-driving.

You can post all you want about how none of these products make any difference, but there are thousands of CF members who can prove you wrong - sorry to burst your bubble.

By the way, the slots in my PowerSlot rotors do NOT fill up with brake dust. I am running the OEM pads, which are very good in their own right.

Quick Reply: What type of rotor for my application?