Sponsored by:

Radio problems -- HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 PM
kenr57
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radio problems -- HELP!!!

Last week I entered a post about removing the radio in my 2004 C5 as my concern was the radio code. Deciding that there was no flashing light on the face of the radio in the upper right hand corner with the key off indicating that the radio code had not been set, I felt secure in removing the radio to install an interface for my XM radio. PROBLEM: With everything reconnected, the radio will not turn on. Here are the steps that I have taken to try to find the problem:

1. Checked the fuses. Fuse no.5 is good - checked with ohm meter.
2. Removed the interface connection and re-installed the original connector -- radio still will not turn on.
3. Schematic for radio indicates that power is supplied to the original connector by the orange wire.
4. With the key on, the volt meter on orange wire indicates approximately 4 volts flowing through it.

Question: Even though there was no blinking light on the face of the radio, could the code have been set? If the code has been set, how do I find out how to undo the code so that the radio will turn on?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Longhornamus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by kenr57
Last week I entered a post about removing the radio in my 2004 C5 as my concern was the radio code. Deciding that there was no flashing light on the face of the radio in the upper right hand corner with the key off indicating that the radio code had not been set, I felt secure in removing the radio to install an interface for my XM radio. PROBLEM: With everything reconnected, the radio will not turn on. Here are the steps that I have taken to try to find the problem:

1. Checked the fuses. Fuse no.5 is good - checked with ohm meter.
2. Removed the interface connection and re-installed the original connector -- radio still will not turn on.
3. Schematic for radio indicates that power is supplied to the original connector by the orange wire.
4. With the key on, the volt meter on orange wire indicates approximately 4 volts flowing through it.

Question: Even though there was no blinking light on the face of the radio, could the code have been set? If the code has been set, how do I find out how to undo the code so that the radio will turn on?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The book for my 2002 basically says if you forget the code you have to contact the dealer. It does not indicate a method for re-setting without inputting the current code first. Sorry this does not help!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

See if any of this looks familiar or is otherwise helpful:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/unlock-c5-radio/
Old 05-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Off the wall idea...
The schematic indicates a case ground. I'm wondering if the Bose works like the Becker head unit in my old Porsche: if the head unit wasn't physically installed (i.e. plugged into the dash and bolted down), nothing would work. (Which of course makes troubleshooting a total pain.)
Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM
kenr57
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Off the wall idea...
The schematic indicates a case ground. I'm wondering if the Bose works like the Becker head unit in my old Porsche: if the head unit wasn't physically installed (i.e. plugged into the dash and bolted down), nothing would work. (Which of course makes troubleshooting a total pain.)

I did not think of that, but I did had the radio fully installed and bolted in. If it was case grounded, it should have worked. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 PM
kenr57
Advanced

Default Hurray! Power back on

I traced the problem to a loose fuse caused by the fuse holder being spread too far apart. Radio now works. I is great to be able to talk to friends who always seem to have the answers I need. THANKS TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME TO LOOK AT MY PROBLEM.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Glad you were able to trace down the problem and fix it without having to take the car into the dealer.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 PM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

The 139010 code used above is no longer valid.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio problems -- HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Radio problems -- HELP!!!