Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Just regular Lucas additive..I've run it in most of my cars the past 5 yrs, never had an oil related engine fail. I'm tempted to throw a can in my new trans too.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Head is off, just one Lifter was bad..mech says block looks good. Piston walls are OK. He checked the rest of the lifters, all were good. He measured some clearances and said cam was OK..he ordered the necessary gaskets.

I'm headed for the parts store for oil, filter and Lucas. mech suggested some Duralube also..don't sound like a bad idea..cheap enough anyway..I'm goin' for it.

We'll put it back together tomorrow.

Last edited by SaxyVette; 01-27-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
dharmadan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoping for a good outcome. <3
Old 01-27-2015, 11:58 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

OK this is good.I just spent a few hrs at the shop..on inspection of cylinder walls and markings the mech says the block looks reasonably fresh and no way a 225K motor..heads also look new. Since I have no history of this car, and no info from where I got it, I can only go on what we see. Tomorrow she goes back together.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:33 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Well the job went OK, one new lifter installed..90% of the noise is gone..the car feels and sounds pretty smooth. Took it for a good roadtest, pulls real hard and strong.

But we know the car really needs a fresh cam and all lifters replaced, makes me think it's probably time to send the car to a new home..When I sell I'll disclose that it needs cam and lifters to be right.

Mech did a nice job and fixed some frail wiring on 2 sensors while he was inside. But my check engine light has popped on, we'll address that one in the morning.

Oh Lordy am I havin' an adventure, life ain't dull in a Corvette..
Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

dang man glad you got it fixed....but not going to lie if i bought a car and then the owner was like oh yeah needs new cams and lifters without telling i'd strangle him if i hadn't left his house yet and forcibly take my money back lol just make sure you deal properly from the beginning or totally just don't even mention it....honestly better that way....

Also I would put it up for sale and hope some high school kid or young graduate on a budget wanted it that didn't mind the higher mileage and stuff.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:23 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Thanks John, I drove it last night..sh*t and DAMN !! the noises have returned.. w/224K on the clock I'm putting it up for sale today as a Mechanic special needing at least cam and lifters. I probably should let the forum know it's for sale.

Last edited by SaxyVette; 01-29-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

this actually would make a great car for someone who wants to completely strip it down and build it how they want engine from top to bottom thats who you need to appeal too
Old 01-29-2015, 03:46 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Like they said in an old song..accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. My mech is coming by to give it a listen this afternoon.

Last edited by SaxyVette; 01-29-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:43 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

grrrrrrrr...mech says new lifter didn't hold,

Damn, unless I get a decent offer I may just have the motor rebuilt..Mech says he will give me a very good price on a complete new motor type rebuild job.

Bottom line I still love the car and have a lot invested in it, keeping it is my best option.

Who knows, anyway best part is GF just told me Christmas might come early..new mill, new trans, black on black=Corvette heaven...

I did run an ad in the F/S thread so If anyone has a serious purchase offer before it's restored PM me ASAP.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:04 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
grrrrrrrr...mech says new lifter didn't hold,

Damn, unless I get a decent offer I may just have the motor rebuilt..Mech says he will give me a very good price on a complete new motor type rebuild job.

Bottom line I still love the car and have a lot invested in it, keeping it is my best option.

Who knows, anyway best part is GF just told me Christmas might come early..new mill, new trans, black on black=Corvette heaven...

I did run an ad in the F/S thread so If anyone has a serious purchase offer before it's restored PM me ASAP.
Not surprised at the outcome. I've never seen an engine survive a lifer failure and patch it back up. Your mechanic should have known it wouldn't survive. Lot of wasted labor in it now. It may not need a complete rebuild but it will need a set of lifters, cam, and chain. If it were my engine it would come out and torn down to get all the metal out of it. It may just need a hone job, new rings and bearings to put it back in running condition. Might as well put an oil pump, have the heads done while it's down. Then it'll be ready for several more thousands of miles.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:31 PM
dharmadan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a good one.

(After 2 divorces, decided to enjoy life more => first vette. )
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

It will be a complete rebuild, orig block to the machine shop,new rings, polished crank, new bearings, etc..that's what he says..basically a new motor.should last longer than me.

forgot to mention the mech is including the $$ I already owed him in the rebuild price. not a bad deal.

Last edited by SaxyVette; 01-29-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM
jleews6
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I WAS enjoying reading your thread and now Im bummed for you. Sorry to see the motor is hurt but if you really enjoy driving the car and want to keep it I have an idea for you. Go to car-part.com and do a search for a motor. It searches all the local salvage yards for you.
Another option for you is to just drop a 5.3 or 6.0 motor in it. They are basically the same motor and you can pick up a low mile 5.3 for under a grand and it will drop right in.
Good luck.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

I checked the yards. Used engines ain't cheap..I think likely I will rebuild the block I have. I did get a lead on a lo-mile used motor but with shipping and all..well..6 of 1/2 dozen of the other..might as well have my orig motor restored so everything is fresh.

Polished up the car, got my new cover on and she's resting comfortably for now in the carport..

The Lo-Buck adventure continues..
Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Saxy, so sorry to hear all this. Myself, being a low-budget owner, I DREAD hearing about this stuff.
Too bad about the shipping part. Was that the guy I pm'd you about?
We're so f__kin' buried in SNOW up here, and MORE to come on Monday, I may not touch my stuff forever.. ouch.
With 150 or so days 'till I retire, I took a lay-off, to save one of the young guys' job.
So, as of Thursday, January 22, 2015, I'm RETIRED...
And I've begun pricing out the parts for that engine I have waiting out in my shed.
Also prepping to go to where the car's stored for the Jacking and disassembling.
Sending the transmission out while I'm doing the engine and torque tube stuff.
I'm doing the trunions kit and the Harmonic Balancer.
Oh, mention that to your mechanic. "Pin the Harmonic Balancer"... Vendors here sell kits for that. Be sure your balancer is still good. I can see mine 'wobbling', so I'm going with a new one. I'm also doing motor mounts while I've got it apart.
Best of Luck.... Keep updating.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Low budget

Meanwhile, with all the snow, and Corvette Plans, I've got this out in the yard behind the house, waiting for temperatures to get back above 30 degrees.
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives

Old 01-30-2015, 10:16 PM
jleews6
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I checked the yards. Used engines ain't cheap..I think likely I will rebuild the block I have. I did get a lead on a lo-mile used motor but with shipping and all..well..6 of 1/2 dozen of the other..might as well have my orig motor restored so everything is fresh.

Polished up the car, got my new cover on and she's resting comfortably for now in the carport..

The Lo-Buck adventure continues..
I understand. I was just thinking maybe you could get back on the road enjoying your Vette for cheap money. I just checked real quick and there is a bunch of motors in your area for less then a grand.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:10 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

how did you find the local used motors? also what's the deal if I got a crate motor. might be better to spend more and get something totally fresh. The car would last me a long time. I'll post in the engine section and inquire what guys use for crate motors.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:50 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtGle
Meanwhile, with all the snow, and Corvette Plans, I've got this out in the yard behind the house, waiting for temperatures to get back above 30 degrees.
Hey I built a truck in a tent over the winter years back came out the ***** too. Grab a torpedo heater and get to work!

Quick Reply: Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives