Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

No such thing as a "cheap" 'vette. You're likely going to find out that repairing and maintaining a 'vette is going to get expensive fast. Absolutely nothing on the 'vette is cheap to replace. $7500 might sound like a steal but I guarantee you that a bulk of those miles were driven hard.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
BTW..I did the free vin search thing that reported 38 reports or issues..they don't say what the issues are.

Oh well, what the hell's the difference anyway, I bought the thing already..

I suppose a 15 year 'vette with 222500+ on the clock could very well have had some "issues" along the way (I had a few myself)

..I guess as long as it ain't salvaged or stolen I'll consider myself LUCKY.

Anyway at this point I can't see spending 40 bucks on a carfax just to crap myself out..I'll spend the $40. on some hood struts after it gets here.

Bottom line I just bought it to drive the hell out of it and enjoy the car for what it is. Besides, for $7500. I didn't expect a Virgin trailer queen that's for sure..

..Now I'm trying to figure out a cool personal plate for a Sax Player in Vegas..
SAX2VET Since you went from a sax player to a proud "vet" owner.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:23 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by reactor2
No such thing as a "cheap" 'vette. You're likely going to find out that repairing and maintaining a 'vette is going to get expensive fast. Absolutely nothing on the 'vette is cheap to replace. $7500 might sound like a steal but I guarantee you that a bulk of those miles were driven hard.
Well let me put it this way my friend, one thing I've learned is that nothing in this world is free.

I've owned many Corvette's over a 30 year span. I've spent anywhere from $1500-$35,000 to buy my cars, just for the simple joy of driving a Corvette.

here's some short history. (wish I still had my Red '72 454 4spd 'vert)...yrs ago I traded a 911 Targa (that I paid 9K for) to get that car..(sold it a year later with a flat cam for 13K)

I've had only one C2 it was a '66 Big Block 4spd coupe ..I drove it for 3yrs like I stole it and made money when I sold it.

I've owned 6 different C3's and in more recent years three C4's '86-'87-'88...never lost a dime on any of them. ('cept maybe a little on an '81 I blew off in a trade)..

Knowing how and where to spend goes a long ways.

Some were good cars, some not so good.. but in the end I've survived and had a blast with every one of them.

It ain't my first rodeo..

Now this IS my first C5..with it's own special set of issues, I know..but truth be told I could sell it tomorrow and make money..but I didn't buy it to sell it...holy cow, will it detonate in the meantime and send me to poor house?? only time will tell..This one spoke to me and I rolled the dice, just like all the others..I'm determined to enjoy it ..that's it.

I buy 'em to drive 'em, and if you actually look at the pics, my newly acquired '99 is a damn straight car.. If it causes me grief or when the party's over I'll move on, simple as that..win lose or draw..

A Corvette is a hobby to me..an investment in having a good time.

You say that you "guarantee me" ..well I don't think so..There are no guarantees...at my age I realize that much.

But thanks for your thoughts anyway..
The following users liked this post:
mike48750 (11-26-2015)
Old 06-06-2014, 12:45 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Anybody know if that's a Stock Exhaust system under there ????
Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 AM
seansz28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know if that's a Stock Exhaust system under there ????
yes, definitely stock
Old 06-06-2014, 11:44 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Thanks Sean, I'm glad it is. I'm not a big fan of extensive mods anyway. Seems like some mods can cause extra problems that I don't need...

The car sounds real good anyway. I think those Tips will polish up real nice when I finally get to start detailing my new toy.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:47 AM
mpride
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Sean, I'm glad it is. I'm not a big fan of extensive mods anyway. Seems like some mods can cause extra problems that I don't need...

The car sounds real good anyway. I think those Tips will polish up real nice when I finally get to start detailing my new toy.
Don't forget to update your profile pic when you get a good picture of the car.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

I got my 99frc for around 13k. drove it home which was about 85 miles. 2 days later the torque tube goes out. up on the lift the shop realized the whole assembly of the rear cradle and everything was hand tightened.i called the old owner and of course he failed to mention that he and his friends had messed with it. so after the new torque tube and cradle comes in and we start it all up again we see the oil leaks. I called the old owner and he failed to mention that it had 3 oil leaks. oops right? so I fixed the front timing seal, oil pan gasket, rear main seal. when we start the car up after that fix the column lock goes out. so the car sits and gets fixed, right after its fixed the battery goes out. fix that and on the drive home from the performance shop the ebcm and ac goes out. im yet to fix those. a few weeks later the transmission starts acting up. long story short; after owning this car for a couple of years im still fixing it.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4gone
I got my 99frc for around 13k. drove it home which was about 85 miles. 2 days later the torque tube goes out. up on the lift the shop realized the whole assembly of the rear cradle and everything was hand tightened.i called the old owner and of course he failed to mention that he and his friends had messed with it. so after the new torque tube and cradle comes in and we start it all up again we see the oil leaks. I called the old owner and he failed to mention that it had 3 oil leaks. oops right? so I fixed the front timing seal, oil pan gasket, rear main seal. when we start the car up after that fix the column lock goes out. so the car sits and gets fixed, right after its fixed the battery goes out. fix that and on the drive home from the performance shop the ebcm and ac goes out. im yet to fix those. a few weeks later the transmission starts acting up. long story short; after owning this car for a couple of years im still fixing it.
Hmmmm..not a good story...

My '99 has so many miles on it that I know it's been driven for sure. Fortunately it's doesn't appear to have been badly abused either. I'm thinking perhaps a Lady owned it..for a car with 200+ thousand miles the interior is not trashed or the seats broken down..

On the rack my undercarriage is very clean and shows no signs of anything leaking. I got a fresh Battery with my used car when I bought so it starts fine. My a/c seems to work OK although the Fan only goes to 4. I ditched the aftermarket junk stereo and now have a hole in the dash.

My car is basically stock and unmolested. I hope along the way the column issues and other C5 gremlins have been chased down. Of course I'm getting a new trans so hopefully I'll have no issues for a long time.

..it definitely sucks when what should be so much fun turns out to be so much pain.

Let's hope you'll sort these issues out and you'll finally be able to enjoy your car.

Last edited by SaxyVette; 09-07-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM
c4gone
Drifting

I too took out the radio and put in a stock radio.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by c4gone
Wow!! I hope you will eventually be able to enjoy it without something going out. Seems like the previous owner was kinda shady...
Old 06-06-2014, 02:03 PM
c4gone
Drifting

well he didn't take care of it. he didn't know that a white frc was only made in small numbers. that's why i bought it. i was looking for a white frc for 4 years. mine is the only one i have seen. so in a sense i knew i was going to take it. but yes it does bite. right now its in the garage with trans issues, no ac, ebcm, slight oil leak again,
however its so clean. id post pics but i have none
Old 06-06-2014, 03:29 PM
seansz28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid 11 for my 99 frc. Shortly after starter went out then throw out bearing then I blew the diff in half and sheared my 6spd output shaft in half from launching it and getting wheelhop. Engines still goin strong with 170k in the clock.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by seansz28
I paid 11 for my 99 frc. Shortly after starter went out then throw out bearing then I blew the diff in half and sheared my 6spd output shaft in half from launching it and getting wheelhop. Engines still goin strong with 170k in the clock.
So many of these cars are modded and abused. I know they're a performance machine but some guys thrash them beyond belief.

Mods are another issue, I guess it's the thrill of being able to brag about your HP/torque stuff..Don't matter at all to me . These cars are plenty fast enough for me out of the box.

I prefer a car that's basically stock and unmolested anyway. Better resale that way too. When guys list endless pages of engine Mods I see endless pages of potential issues. That's just my school of thought. Even lowering I have my doubts about, the C5 sits pretty nice as is to my eyes. I can see perhaps better shocks and some accessories but thats about it. Even the stock exhaust sounds pretty good to my ears..

Glad to see your engine still going strong at 170K..mine at 220+ seem a bit noisy on cold start up but quickly quiets down and sounds fine. I'll probably throw some Lucas in at my first oil change. Can't wait to really drive mine as I don't know how strong it pulls yet as I bought it with the bad trans and never really got it off the car lot.
Attached Images     

Last edited by SaxyVette; 06-07-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:26 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I couldn't agree more with you. I think a car that has been modded has most likely been viciously abused , after all isn't that the whole idea. When I see a Corvette that has mods I run not walk the other way. I learned at an early age that if you abuse a car , you will experience the abuse in the way of pain to your wallet. With a mechanically bone stock Corvette you get a lot more for your money in dependability. Like to hear it or not , it's true.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:13 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 540i 6spd
Saxy
Saxplyr
Brassvette
Saxyvette

***update***

They raised the price for the personal plate, I said forget it.
The DMV guy says "how 'bout a triple digit, no charge" well of course me being on a slim to none budget the price was right, so I went for it..
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2014, 02:05 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Good numbers for Vegas... Am sure the license plate "sax addict" was already taken.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives

Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 PM
mpride
Pro

Pretty cool plate especially for the price.

Did you get the car back yet?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:30 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by mpride
Pretty cool plate especially for the price.

Did you get the car back yet?
Not back yet, the car went on the rack day before yesterday (Thurs) Today is Sat and the shop is closed.

I'm figuring probably Wed-Thurs next week..Man am I nervous. The mgr did say about a week for the job.

It looks like a decent shop, "Bacas National Transmission"

I checked their website it looks OK. All certified Techs and warranteed work.
Attached Images   

Last edited by SaxyVette; 06-07-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 PM
mpride
Pro

I dont know why but this is one of the coolest threads I've followed in a long time. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives