Sponsored by:

C5 Head Light Not Opening

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Daytona Rick
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C5 Head Light Not Opening

When my headlights turn on, the drive side doesn't pop open. Anyway to force open the head light. Also need long term fix.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you pop open the hood, you will see a black **** at the rear of the headlight. Turn that **** and it will manually raise the headlight. If the gears have stripped out you may need to help it to raise by lifting up on the front edge of the headlight while turning the ****. Is there any noise associated with that light not working? Need to know more of the symptoms to diagnose. Once the light is raised, will it lower with your other headlight normally? In other words will it close but not open or is it completely inoperable?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Daytona Rick
When my headlights turn on, the drive side doesn't pop open. Anyway to force open the head light. Also need long term fix.
C5 originally came with plastic drive gear, in the headlight motors. All have or will fail, it seems.
Fix, is to order brass gears, and replace. Comes in a kit, from most Corvette retailers. Fairly simple fix, do a search and find lots of info and pictures of replacement process.

Probably, this is your issue, and fix is not too difficult.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
snidely
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem briefly with one headlight. No noise associated with it's inoperable condition. I played with the black **** mentioned by MG Red 99, and mine started working again. Must have just been "stuck".

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Head Light Not Opening

Quick Reply: C5 Head Light Not Opening