Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's amazing how scary fast these cars are when Supercharged!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
NA is for the guys who can't boost. LOL!
FI is for guys who can't build a motor
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
MAN...!! now that's MUSIC to MY ears..That thing is a freakin' ROCKET..
thank you ... it's gone 9.5's on a 100 shot, i'm getting it ready to drop 300 (NANO), eliminate the high flow cats, go 3" all the way thru the Corsas. my other car is also N/A running .05 sec slower in the qtr.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much wait time with a Maggie. 10# of boost at 2500rpm, it don't take long
Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by road pilot
I like big hp no matter how you make it.............
we'll said, who cares as long as she smokes tires and make plenty of noise (music to our ears)
Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

FI takes the car to a whole other level. To me, this is the first performance mod that should be done
Old 06-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick

I used to be in the NA crowd poo-pooing the FI side saying how wonderful all my bolt-ons and head/cam work was.......UNTIL!
I think both NA and FI have their pros and cons and are better suited to different situations. For a road course or track type car, NA all the way. For a drag car or highway pull call, FI is hard to beat.

For the record, I have one of each type. My FI car is much slower than my Z, but it is fun when the boost comes on. It's also no fun when it gets heat soaked and falls off by fourth gear on a pull.

I will probably get laughed at for this one, but as I am getting older I'm learning that power isn't everything. A well balanced car that you can drive at 85% of its capability at legal speeds can be way more entertaining than an overpowered car that you can't use more than 15% of at any given time. I guess this is why some old cars are so entertaining to drive even though they can't really keep up with some modern family cars in a straight line. With that said, too bad we don't have more curvy roads in Texas, at least my area. In Houston, we pretty much only have straight lines which is why we probably have so many overpowered cars here
Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Keane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run large displacement motors most of my life, but adding a SC to my Z resulted in a great ride. There is no turbo lag to speak of with centrifugal superchargers like many of us run. That is to say that there is no added delay in the throttle response from before and after the install. It just has more horsepower than before and the difference in HP increases as RPM'S climb. This is my first SC after many high horsepower big displacement motors and I was very pleasantly surprised with the results.

I get into the boost countless times each drive. And when I go down the interstate, I routinely take the off ramps just so I can get back on and enjoy the acceleration again.

And the SC is quiet along with the exhaust being smooth which makes it a bit of a sleeper if you can call a Z06 a sleeper.

I should say drag radial were a must or else I would leave 100 foot long black strips downshifting flooring it from 75 mph with GYE F1

Last edited by Keane; 06-09-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

sure wish I wasn't the only one in here that posted a video - keep hearing how fast these cars are but haven't see anything yet except a lot of talk and pictures
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would absolutely positively love to go FI whenever I get tired of filling my nitrous bottle.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

My C5 is stock but my 05 GTO LS2 has a Magnuson tvs 1900 and blower cam along with the usual added equipment. It's at 620 hp now which is more than enough for me. I love the whine of the maggie as it's in boost. Now working on stiffening up the rear suspension.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 AM
mrfyzv
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of high speed so I always go in speed stability
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels
I break my tires loose when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 85 mph on the hwy. A well preped track with tire is really the place to see just what you can do with these things

Heads / cam LS-6 naturally aspirated - enjoy!

I do like supercharged vettes but have not driven one.
DAYUM!!!!! That is one sweeeeeet sounding Vette!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

sfc rick:

You still have one of the coolest C5's around.

It's not how I would build it, but I love everything you have done! And I also love the pride you take in it...as you should.

As far as a FI C5, no I have not driven one. I have driven several CTS-V's, both auto and manual trans, and I describe them as having a nuclear powerplant under the hood. I can only imagine how it feels in a (much) lighter C5 Vette!

Bob
Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
sfc rick:

You still have one of the coolest C5's around.

It's not how I would build it, but I love everything you have done! And I also love the pride you take in it...as you should.

As far as a FI C5, no I have not driven one. I have driven several CTS-V's, both auto and manual trans, and I describe them as having a nuclear powerplant under the hood. I can only imagine how it feels in a (much) lighter C5 Vette!

Bob
Thanks Bob..... you rock!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
Horses for courses. Around here, I would have to drive a very considerable distance to even consider five minutes of speeding, too many cars around.

I have only driven a supercharged boat, everything else has been normally aspirated and rarely hit above 110.

If I go over to the hard core traffic areas on the West side of town, it is easy to see why Tesla cars set up shop in the area.

Traffic is so tight around there you get a lot of time to sit and consider feeding hundreds of horsepower while going nowhere, while the guy next to you is using almost no energy in the same traffic jam, sitting in a Tesla S model, a nice car by all reports. Makes you realize the power adders of the future will be electric.

I don't need more power, but then I am old and without any need to express extra power with or without a machine. I get my thrills communing with nature, by way of body surfing. It sure feels fast and exciting at the time, yet the only tool is the body and mind. Trying to optimize performance in those systems is also challenging.

Plus, if I was using the power levels you guys are talking about , I'd run out of skill pretty quickly, so no blower for me.
No one likes to talk about it much, but the eco terrorists that want to litter our world with toxic batteries is going to be a big deal in the very near future. There will be very huge drawbacks to disposal of the large toxic batteries the likes of which will dwarf the scenes from back in the 70's of those garbage laden barges that no one wanted to allow to offload. Where will be the "nuclear waste-like battery landfills" go?

Just saying....I like the instant torque of electrics and have seen some lightning fast vehicles using them...for a short distance(pun).

History repeats itself if you haven't learned it well. In the 1800's and early 1900's electric cars were the norm with much the same mileage ranges, but lost out to gasoline for the same reasons they fall short today. I guess it's ok to keep trying and see if the first failures were accurate.....and it appears it was.

Anyway...back to the topic and I apologize for wandering.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I'm one who prefers a nice turbo setup over a S/C. Converted my daily driven GTP to a turbo setup from the stock blower and loved every minute of it. Even with only making 346hp/525tq to the wheels on low boost that car was a blast to drive. Can't wait to do the same to the Vette.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:56 AM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Right on...don't worry, you will!

I'll be happily post-whoring right there along with ya' bud (and expect to make a few people "mad" because they think I'm posting/boasting too much).

Keep 'em coming! This forum exists "solely for the entertainment of our viewing audience" as they say on TV. If not for the serial posters like (you know who I'm talking about), this place would have dried up and blowed away long ago. I NEVER get tired of seeing what you guys have been up to.

Get notified of new replies

To It's amazing how scary fast these cars are when Supercharged!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:41 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
I like big hp no matter how you make it.............
Right on!!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:42 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Funny thing is I like to look over and right around 3500rpms they usually are grabbing everything in the car to hold on.
LOL. That is the best.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
DAYUM!!!!! That is one sweeeeeet sounding Vette!
Thanks Bob..... you rock!

Quick Reply: It's amazing how scary fast these cars are when Supercharged!