Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early (98 MY, 97 actual MFG) C5 Clutch swap-lots of weird stuff not on any tutorial

Old 06-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Early (98 MY, 97 actual MFG) C5 Clutch swap-lots of weird stuff not on any tutorial

So, I'm doing my clutch, a project that's been beset with delays because of craziness at work related to a new hire. Anyway, got my seals in the mail, new diff, torque tube bushings, pilot bearing, slave, master, clutch, flywheel, etc. I keep running into all this stuff that's not in any of the DIY/tutorial photos, and there's been no mention of how to deal with it (I've gotten along fine). A few of the things in this category (pics tomorrow, too tired now):

Bolted onto the rear suspension behind the differential is a sort of junction box, it looks like the brake lines are routed through it. It's not on any of the tutorials I've seen. I dealt with it, but why wasn't it in any of the guides? Is it something they got rid of after the first year(s)?

The old differential had what looks like a rubber ballast bolted to it that had to be removed to get the brake line around it. Does my new 3-rib z06 diff need that, or is it trash?

Directly below the shifter, next to the torque tube, the brake lines change orientation into a horizontal side-by-side configuration rather than a vertical one-over-another configuration. I don't know why this is, but it does make dropping the tube needlessly difficult. How do you get these lines out of the way so that the tube can be removed without crushing/denting them? The horizontal, splayed part of the line system doesn't seem to unhook like the vertical parts, and it figures that it's also the only part of the brake lines the tube won't pass effortlessly over.

Finally, though they've been generally helpful, all the instructions for the separation of the torque tube from the bell housing that exist online fall into this category:

No matter how low the assembly it goes (within safe spec), no separation between the tube and the bell housing that could even fit the thinnest pry-bar appears. pulling/pushing the transmission jacks backwards is similarly fruitless, and 90% of the guides don't even mention this as a step, which makes me think it must have been very easy for them. Is there some trick to it?

Thanks.

Last edited by Endeka; 06-10-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early (98 MY, 97 actual MFG) C5 Clutch swap-lots of weird stuff not on any tutorial