Sponsored by:

gear shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 AM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gear shifter

I got to work the other night and the gear shifter would just slide back and forth without pressing down on button any answers to this and can this be fixed at home or is this a dealer repair also the car wont start because i think it stayed in drive when i turned it off is there a way to move the gear selector from under the car or is this a console removal,

Last edited by joe Villarreal; 06-17-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Are you saying the battery is drained? I doubt that is the case. If the car is not in Park or Neutral it is not going to start normally. There is a way to jumper this interlock to start but with your shifter issue I don't recommend it for safety reasons. If it were manual that would be different.

Seems like the shifter has an issue and not the cable or connection at the tranny. That is where I would put my attention. Should not be hard to resolve even if you take it to the dealer. The cost will be high because of the shifter cost I am sure. I would think the cost from someone like GMPartsHouse would a lot less.

If you want to try and fix this yourself we can help further.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

NO the battery did not drain the car is stuck in nuetrual cause i can move it back and forth
the shifter cable seems to have come loose or something do you know if it is accessable from under the vehicle it is a C5 auto trans...... thanks for any help available
Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I saw a thread a while back and it was a shifter fix, easily and inexpensive, cant remember specifics but google it or wait for others to chime n.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Default shifter issues car wont get into gear

OK now that i have more questions the key has to be in the on position and the brake pedal has to be pressed and the button on shifter has to be pressed to move the shifter from park or to be put back on park . now once out of park the shifter slides back and forth car does not start at all car seems to be in neutral looked under the vehicle but seems you have to drop exhaust to remove trans protection plate to get to trans cable. any help is needed guys...............................HELPP PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Get notified of new replies

To gear shifter

Quick Reply: gear shifter