Sponsored by:

Home-made low profile ramps

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:06 AM
vpshockwave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home-made low profile ramps

I was having issues getting the car up onto the ramps I bought now that it's lowered, so I decided to make my own. Four ramps total, two front and two rear. Measured so neither the rear nor the front scraped one bit. Worked like a charm.
Attached Images     
Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Good job. nice car.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:48 AM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by black match box
Good job. nice car.
I did something similar since I have a lift (frame lift). That was the only way of driving my cars onto the lift without scrapping the bottom. I actually bolted them to the concrete & painted them, so I made them permanent.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:13 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Cool I like them, good job, I like how U staggard them.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Is that about 6 to 8 inch spacing on front boards? I have been thinking about doing the same thing for awhile. I believe I would like to get a couple inches higher.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Very nice.

Mine are similar, but after looking at yours, I see how I can improve mine a little.
Thanks.

Don
Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 AM
I8URSVT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive been meaning to make the same thing. Looks good!

What size boards did you use?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 AM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice looking ramps. Where did you get the stops?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice DIY! I too like the stops you have there. I made some a while back with 2x12's but I need to add some of that Anti slip stuff (the mat stuff you put under a rug) on the bottoms to keep them from sliding on my garage floor when I go to pull the car up. You should post up the dimensions of yours heck of a lot cheaper than race ramps!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Tastee Twirl
LIFE IS SHORT HAVE FUN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Nice DIY also like stoppers!
I also make 2x12s ramps with 2x4s in between the 2nd and 3rd 2x12 full length.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like they get the job done.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Not a week goes by where I don't hear from a customer wanting to upgrade their heavy wooden ramps to lightweight Race Ramps which are normally much higher than the wooden ramps. Usually the reason is that they are tired of lugging around the weight, especially in the case of trailer ramps.

Yesterday, I heard from a customer with a completely different motivation for retiring the wooden ramps. After years of leaning the wooden ramps against the garage wall, the customer is worried that his young grandson will knock the ramps over and get crushed by the weight.

Race Ramps make over 60 different ramp models and Reverse Logic offers an additional dozen custom extended length or extra tall ramps. It's possible to make wooden versions of some of the smaller Race Ramps, but, it's not practical to make the larger ramps from wood.

A wooden version of our RLL-78-2 ramp (78" L x 14" W x 12" high) would weigh about 130 pounds. And that's just for one! It's true that Race Ramps are not inexpensive. But they are very safe to use and you won't break your back lifting them.

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
Very nice DIY! I too like the stops you have there. I made some a while back with 2x12's but I need to add some of that Anti slip stuff (the mat stuff you put under a rug) on the bottoms to keep them from sliding on my garage floor when I go to pull the car up. You should post up the dimensions of yours heck of a lot cheaper than race ramps!
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
Not a week goes by where I don't hear from a customer wanting to upgrade their heavy wooden ramps to lightweight Race Ramps which are normally much higher than the wooden ramps. Usually the reason is that they are tired of lugging around the weight, especially in the case of trailer ramps.

Yesterday, I heard from a customer with a completely different motivation for retiring the wooden ramps. After years of leaning the wooden ramps against the garage wall, the customer is worried that his young grandson will knock the ramps over and get crushed by the weight.

Race Ramps make over 60 different ramp models and Reverse Logic offers an additional dozen custom extended length or extra tall ramps. It's possible to make wooden versions of some of the smaller Race Ramps, but, it's not practical to make the larger ramps from wood.

A wooden version of our RLL-78-2 ramp (78" L x 14" W x 12" high) would weigh about 130 pounds. And that's just for one! It's true that Race Ramps are not inexpensive. But they are very safe to use and you won't break your back lifting them.
Race ramps are really nice, but for me that 400 bucks could be put to better use.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by JR-01
Race ramps are really nice, but for me that 400 bucks could be put to better use.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE a set of race ramps especially if i used ramps on regular basis then I would definitely buy a set. However I've only used my diy ramps twice in the last 6 months. I'm also one of those that like building my own stuff. Sometimes even when it makes no financial sense whatever to diy I still have a very hard time not doing the diy thing.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE a set of race ramps especially if i used ramps on regular basis then I would definitely buy a set. However I've only used my diy ramps twice in the last 6 months. I'm also one of those that like building my own stuff. Sometimes even when it makes no financial sense whatever to diy I still have a very hard time not doing the diy thing.
We all would love a set of Race ramps.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:05 PM
vpshockwave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Is that about 6 to 8 inch spacing on front boards? I have been thinking about doing the same thing for awhile. I believe I would like to get a couple inches higher.
Yep, 8 inches per board. That was based on the distance between the base of the wheel and the front of the air dam.

Originally Posted by I8URSVT
Ive been meaning to make the same thing. Looks good!

What size boards did you use?
They're 1x12s, or speaking of actual measurements, .75"x11.25"

Originally Posted by 64Corvette
Nice looking ramps. Where did you get the stops?
The wheel chocks were actually given to me by a buddy with the simple jack you see pictured under the rear. Not sure of the actual brand off the top of my head, but I found these that are either the exact same brand or close enough:

Amazon Amazon

The boards are 1x12s, or in actual measurements, .75" x 11.25". The front ramps are made up of 7 boards. Starting from the bottom, the length of the boards are: 72" - 64" - 56" - 48" - 40" - 32" - 24". The rear ramps are made up of 4 boards total. The bottom board is 72" just like the front. I think the next three are 60", 48", and 36". The dimensions of the other three board were picked at random though (as long as they're 8" minimum apart it shouldn't have been a problem). I chose those lengths because it worked out with the amount of lumber I had. The most important point is that the overall length of all the ramps be the same (72" in this case). I did this so I could essentially chock each ramp under each wheel at the same time and drive up all of them at the same time. If you make the rear shorter (which you technically could) you would have to get out halfway up the front ramps and place the rear ones and hope that they're positioned correctly. This way you place them all at the same time smack against the wheel and you know that as you move they're all synchronized. I was originally going to make rear ramps but I still couldn't get my jack under the rear with just the fronts, so I measured the clearance I had under the sides of the car (roughly 4" I believe, maybe a bit more") running pretty much the from the rear wheels to the front splash guards. The rear ramps slide straight under each side nice and easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Home-made low profile ramps

Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, had to do this myself recently too. Nice work
Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I really like my race ramps. I have wasted a lot more money than what these cost on other
stuff I shouldn't have bought. But, you insist on making your own heavy wood ramps, at least cut the leading edge at a 45 degree angle, make the rear section removable, and put in a stop just made out of a 2 x 2. You could also make them progressive by staggering the
lengths. Always costs a little more for something better, faster, and lighter.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:45 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I really like my race ramps. I have wasted a lot more money than what these cost on other
stuff I shouldn't have bought. But, you insist on making your own heavy wood ramps, at least cut the leading edge at a 45 degree angle, make the rear section removable, and put in a stop just made out of a 2 x 2. You could also make them progressive by staggering the
lengths. Always costs a little more for something better, faster, and lighter.
More than a little.

Quick Reply: Home-made low profile ramps