Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:34 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Just curious concerning California Corvette owners.

This thread pertains to California Corvette owners only.
How many of you display your front license plate, and how many of you don't?
Being a two plate state, it is required.
I don't have mine on my car because it takes away from the clean, uncluttered look of the front bumper, and with the front plate, it looks stupid.
Have you ever gotten a ticket for not having your front plate on the car?
Where the state is always looking for ways to cut spending, having only one plate (for the rear) would cut the expense of making plates in half.
Figuring all the vehicles in the state, that is some big, big bucks that could be saved.
Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 07-03-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
I don't have mine on my car because it takes away from the clean, uncluttered look of the front bumper, and with the front plate, it looks stupid.
Where the state is always looking for ways to cut spending, having only one plate (for the rear) would cut the expense of making plates in half.
Figuring all the vehicles in the state, that is some big, big bucks that could be saved.
Bob.
Texas is also a two-plate state. I have been pulled over 5 times for not having a front plate, the last I was given a warning ticket. When I got a speeding ticket a couple of months ago the officer made a point to check my front bumper to make sure I had a plate there; he would have given me a ticket for it that would have cost me $200 on top of the fine for speeding.

I can't afford to go without a front plate so I don't. I also don't want my car to become a target for bored cops.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I can count on my thumbs the number of C5s and C6s with front plates I've seen in my area...been running without one for three years now, counting the time with the Porsche. There's an APD substation about a mile from my house, so I pass by more than the average number of cops on a daily basis. If I'm forced to put one on, it's not really that big a deal: I can't see it from the driver's seat anyway.
Be careful what you wish for. The potential savings probably amounts to round-off noise on the DMV's budget, and if the state really wants to use license plates to enhance revenue, they'll just jack the no-front-plate fine up to some obscene number the way Texas did.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:28 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Never had a front plate...never been pulled over for it. (knock on wood)

Have a front screen I'm putting on next, so I hope I never get ticketed for it.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If you only wanted to "draw in" California drivers, you should have put that in the thread title instead of "just curious". "just curious" is very hard to search for if someone is interested in finding the same information you're getting.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Nevada is a 2 plate state and I have no front plate and have never been questioned about and I have been stopped for other things.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:36 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Maryland also is a two plate state. You will eventually get pulled over here. Stands out like a sore thumb on a sports car. Lots of folks here run the hideaway/flip up plate.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

Oregon is also a 2 plate state. State troopers are about the only ones to enforce it though. The cities that have cameras are starting to enforce it also. I had to put a plate on the aero nose Fiero, I didn't want the hassle so I just put a body color filler trim around the plate on the '97 and later on the '03 AE.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
calguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by meflyfrc
Maryland also is a two plate state. You will eventually get pulled over here. Stands out like a sore thumb on a sports car. Lots of folks here run the hideaway/flip up plate.

What is a hide-away flip up plate?
Never heard of it.
Sounds like something I would like to know more about.

Bob.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 PM
RF1979C3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Virginia is a two plate state. But I do not display the front plate on my C5. I am in a rural area, and the local cops don't really care. But in the larger areas like Fairfax and Richmond I have been told that they really like to make an issue out of it. It has went to the state legislature something like four years in a row to repeal our stupid two plate law, but it never makes it out of committee. Hard to figure, in a state that has budget issues you could cut the cost of making the plates in half, and generate more tax revenue from increased sale of vanity plates for other vehicles (Like my C3's)
Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RF1979C3
Hard to figure, in a state that has budget issues you could cut the cost of making the plates in half, and generate more tax revenue from increased sale of vanity plates for other vehicles (Like my C3's)
Is VA a state where you get new plates every year? We get a new set only when the car is sold through a dealer; for private party sales the old plates stay with the car. In any case, the cost of the physical plates is too just small to matter: they probably cost more to mail than they do to manufacture.

And I really don't see how only having one plate would increase the sale of vanity plates.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Missouri is a two plate state also. I have always run the front plate on my car. No use giving an LEO another reason to make a stop.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:20 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

What is a hide-away flip up plate?
Never heard of it.
Sounds like something I would like to know more about.

Bob.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-shipping.html

Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To me it's just not worth it so I run a front plate. Don't care what people think.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:16 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Oregon is a 2 plate state as described above,but I don't believe most of the LEOs ever pursue it that much.I have never heard of a single vette owner that has been pulled over for not having a front plate.I personally don't have one and I never will.
Fred
Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 AM
calguy
Drifting

Thanks for posting the video.
That is an interesting concept.

Bob.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:59 AM
mrm13
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am in Colorado, where a front plate is mandatory. Here is the funny thing.
I never even attempted to put a front plate on the car. I live in a very small place, so my bumblebee loud car sticks out. I get pull over weekly or more. For all the stupidest things you can think of. It is always the same "…..and by the way, how much did you have to drink?" The answer is always "Nothing!" And away I go, 'till the next time. It got the point where I am thinking "OK humor me. What did you pull me over for now?"
lights on license plate not there - multiple times and total BS
switching lanes without turning signal - BS
having a clear cover over the rear plate (obstructing of license plate) BS
I even had a "unlawful demonstration of speed" with 10mph, when I just got in the car and pulled away.
But all these times, not once someone actually said anything about the only legit reason they could have - NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE.
This is going on a year and a half now. So I thing it has a lot to do with where you live and how the cops are there.

Get notified of new replies

To Just curious.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks.

I run a front plate, I don't need to give them more reasons to pull me over.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:20 AM
tazor
Advanced

Yea been to shows where i was warned about no front plate. so its on. added the clear cover.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:32 AM
projectcop
Advanced

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is
issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.

These are "cut and pasted" from the Ca. Vehicle code.

That being said, I have had my C5 for a little over a year and got pulled over for speeding a few weeks ago. He gave me a "warning" on the speed; but did write me a fix-it for no front plate.
I have purchased a clear cover to replace the body colored one and will install the plate with the cover over it.

BTW: Note that the "letter of the law" states the plate "must be attached" to the vehicle. It does NOT specify that "it must be visible." Get where I'm going with this??

The astute amongst those of you reading this are right when you are thinking; "ahha...... He has a bra for the car!!!!"

Disclaimer!!!!: I am NOT recommending that you install the plate and cover it up with a bra!!!! If you choose to do so; you will at some point have to debate the "letter of the law" with a traffic court judge!!

Quick Reply: Just curious.