Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anxiety attack - Should I back out of this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT

Better to do your homework in person . . .and might be a fun 1100 miles home! Good luck.
I would love to do the homework in person, but other factors in my life are not going to permit it. I will take your other suggestions to heart though, and I thank you for them.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:16 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Koufax
I would love to do the homework in person, but other factors in my life are not going to permit it.
Put a request in the regional section. I'm sure there is a local CF who would be happy to do it.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not sure I understand. The car is 1100 miles away and I have no expertise. What would be the point of my going to look at it? I have 40 photos showing every little visual detail. What I can't assess is the mechanical condition and my being there wouldn't do much. The inspector will be able to drive it, put it up on a lift and examine it. He'll be able to evaluate it better than I.

And yes, if I have issues with the f45 I will bring it to the local Corvette guru -- or the GM dealer that I trust -- and ask him to fix it. And yes, that costs money, but that's how it works for those of us with little mechanical knowledge or skill. Fortunately I have other skills that provide me with wherewithal to afford to have a mechanic fix my car.
well, my point is i would never recommend buying a c5 with no expertise in auto repair. they are just too old and it's expensive to hire it out.

if you make the money to do this sort of thing, my vote would be for a 2008-2013 c6 which can be had for pretty good deals these days
Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

I have a '99 that came with the F45 originally. I couldn't really tell any difference over the three settings. A couple of years ago, I got a good deal on some Z06 shocks so I put them on, even though the F45s still seemed okay. Through this forum, I got lucky to get assistance from Bill Curlee in tuning them out. He and I met up at Carlisle and he used his Tech II.

With the Z06 shocks and anti-sway bars and new metal end links, the handling noticeably improved. Just got back today from a week-long trip to Stockbridge, MA, and Stowe, VT, and did not think the ride was too hard for the New England roads.

I'm with the consensus on this - don't let the F45 be a deterrent.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. At least, they feel faster.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Originally Posted by racebum
well, my point is i would never recommend buying a c5 with no expertise in auto repair. they are just too old and it's expensive to hire it out.

if you make the money to do this sort of thing, my vote would be for a 2008-2013 c6 which can be had for pretty good deals these days
The least expensive C6 convertible with 50k miles or less that I have found is $8k more than I am paying for this car. In the next 4 years, is the C5 going to chew up that much more in repair costs?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I bought a C6, the body style never grew on me like I thought it would. I couldn't pull my codes from the DIC. Didn't like the electronic door handles. Hated the fob in your pocket push the button to start style. To say you can buy a C6 for a little more doesn't necessarily mean you'll be happier. I went back to a C5 and feel much more comfortable, and they still get lots of attention from non-car people who think they are new.
I will go along with the sentiment, don't let the F45 influence you. It may work and you may like it. When and if it fails, you can replace the shocks and disable it. To answer your other question, I can't imagine that you would have to spend even a couple of thousand for repairs on the C5. I've had 5 and they are very dependable, reliable cars. They have a few things that are problematic, but they almost all have reasonable fixes available (after 2001 anyway)
Old 07-04-2014, 11:10 PM
racebum
Race Director

The least expensive C6 convertible with 50k miles or less that I have found is $8k more than I am paying for this car. In the next 4 years, is the C5 going to chew up that much more in repair costs?
correct, and resale will be higher when you go to sell it. meanwhile you'll have a newer car

but

if you like the c5 more, none of that matters, you simply buy a nice example and enjoy it
Old 07-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Originally Posted by racebum
correct, and resale will be higher when you go to sell it. meanwhile you'll have a newer car

but

if you like the c5 more, none of that matters, you simply buy a nice example and enjoy it
I like the C6 a bit more but not a by a lot. I find both quite beautiful in their own way. I prefer the greater sophistication of the C6 and the beauty of the C5. The only C6 that I could afford would be an '05 or an '06. Is 3 or 4 years of relative youth worth a 33% increase in purchase price? Perhaps it is, but my wife, who is second to none in anxiety, would have a stroke if I bought a C6 ... unless I waited until winter, when the prices of convertibles comes down.

So my choice is between a beautiful C5 that I can enjoy now and a sophisticated C6 that I can enjoy next year. Unless the C5 is going to be one headache after another, I am inclined to go for now. (I am 67 years old. My confidence in next year arriving is shaky.)

I have a 2010 Lexus CPO (with 3 years of warranty ahead of it) as a winter beater / summer backup. I don't need the C5 for daily reliability, but I want to be able to take a 200 mile trip without worrying whether I will be able to make it back without being towed. From what I understand after months of reading this forum, the C5 is at least that reliable. But this is only wisdom gleaned from reading a self-selected message board. If others wish to educate me as to the true risk associated with taking on a C5, I am all ears.

When I was a young pup I bought a beautiful Rover TC2000. I took it for a shake-down cruise on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It broke down, I had to get towed, and nobody in North Carolina know how to work on that car. That was the beginning of a long, tempestuous and expensive relationship that ended 4 years later with me abandoning the car on the Ohio Turnpike. (I believe that the statute of limitations has run on that crime.)

If the C5 is like that, then I will wait until winter and buy a C6 when the prices come down. Nothing I have read, however, suggests any resemblance between the Rover and the Corvette. Please educate me if I am wrong.

By the way, I want to say how much I appreciate the wisdom of this crowd. Without this forum, I would never have known how to approach buying a second-hand Corvette. I don't know half as much as those who actually own them, of course, but I know a hell of a lot more than I did 4 months ago when I first came here. Thank you all for that. It has been fun learning and I have enjoyed your company.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:15 AM
racebum
Race Director

based on what you just said a c5 makes sense for you. unless you simply like the c6 body more there's really little difference between an 04 and an 05 regarding reliability. in fact it's easy to argue the 04 is more reliable since it was the perfected c5 and the 05 was the first year c6....which did have a few issues.

this particular car may or may not be the one for you. what i can say is the more you read, the more you learn, and the more you study the cars, the better choice you'll make when it comes to buying.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 AM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There are a few approaches to eliminating the computer when you remove the F45 shocks.

One is to buy 4 10 watt 10 ohm resistors at a store like radio Shack or one that sells electronic components. The shocks are removed and the resistors are soldered to the connector that formerly plugged into the shock. You then want to waterproof or seal over the resistors. Install the shocks of your choice and your done.

Another is to purchase Sims which are basically the resistors above already sealed up but with a connector that mates to the one on the car. Sort of a plug and play approach but they are some what more expensive than a DIY solution with the work being done by you.

Yet another is to find someone with a Tech II that will program out the F45 option from the BCM and then just remove the old shocks and install the new and your done, Tough part of this solution is finding someone with a Tech II other than a dealer. Depending upon where you are in New England, contact Bill Curlee as I seem to recall he has a Tech II and would likely help you out. I believe he is somewhere around the New London part of Ct.
Nice options
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Of all the thousands and thousands of C5's made, the majority have been driven with no issues. If you read on the forum 20 times that a car had (fill in your own issue), that sounds like a lot. However as a total percentage, it's no more troublesome than any other car. They just don't have a forum to share information on problems and fixes. I'm on my 5th C5 and the only problems I've had are minor. The most difficult to fix so far was the oil pressure sender, and that was fixed by learning here what to do. You need to get over this anxiety stuff and move on. Do you NOT buy a tv because the sound may go out? That has happened on a few of them, you know.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Koufax
Drifting

I reported the VIN to my local GM dealer. He looked it up and found that there was no warranty work done on the car other than the steering wheel lockout recall. He printed out the build sheet for me to pick up.

I have had no offers from anyone local to assist with the DIC trouble codes, so I plan to make sure that the inspector does this himself. If I understand the matter, step 1 is to collect the codes, step 2 is to clear them, step 3 is to drive the car, step 4 is to read them again. I gather that the ones that show up on the second reading are the ones most likely to be a current problem, and the others might be a sign of trouble or they might be ancient history. Is that correct?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You are correct about the codes. Just make sure he notes under what module heading the codes occur and if they are H, C, or H and C.

Have him view this also.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.

To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Koufax
Drifting

OK, the inspection has been done. Here are the results. First of all, there were 10 diagnostic codes before the road test. None of the codes had an H after them. The inspector then cleared them, drove the car, and then checked. There were no codes after the test. Here are the codes:

PCM - code P1631 (thefte deterrent password incorrect)
TCS module - codes P1214 (sol valve relay contact or sensor) and P1226 (LF wheel excessive spin)
LDCM module - B2214 ??; B2282 and 2284 (battery faults), U1064 (loss of communication with BCM)
RDCM module: B2283 and 2285 (batery faults) and U1064 (loss of communication with BCM)

In addition, the inspector noted the following:

tranmission fluid level sensor shows heavy seepage of fluid. Either the sensor or the seal needs to be replaced.

Driver's seat - left shoulder area - seat moves too much. The prior owner may have been a heavy guy who wore out the left shoulder of the seat grabbing his seat belt.

Right rear storage bin has 3 inches of water and the carpet staples are rusted.

Right and left outer tie rod boots are dry rotted and cracked, but not split.

left headlight motor contines to run for 3 seconds after the headlights close.

Driver's side mirror - top 1/4 inch is very dull. Liquid seeping out?

Shocks - no sign of leaks.

Bushings OK excper for the tie rod boots.

Photos suggest that the body is in very good shape.

This is a 12 year old car, I don't expect everything to be perfect. But I am paying a slight premium over NADA pricing, so I expect the car to be in pretty good shape, with no really major repairs needed right away.

What do you make of this report? Walk away? Run away? Go for the gusto and have fun driving this sucker?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, the inspection has been done. Here are the results. First of all, there were 10 diagnostic codes before the road test. None of the codes had an H after them. The inspector then cleared them, drove the car, and then checked. There were no codes after the test. Here are the codes:

PCM - code P1631 (thefte deterrent password incorrect)
TCS module - codes P1214 (sol valve relay contact or sensor) and P1226 (LF wheel excessive spin)
LDCM module - B2214 ??; B2282 and 2284 (battery faults), U1064 (loss of communication with BCM)
RDCM module: B2283 and 2285 (batery faults) and U1064 (loss of communication with BCM)

In addition, the inspector noted the following:

tranmission fluid level sensor shows heavy seepage of fluid. Either the sensor or the seal needs to be replaced.

Driver's seat - left shoulder area - seat moves too much. The prior owner may have been a heavy guy who wore out the left shoulder of the seat grabbing his seat belt.

Right rear storage bin has 3 inches of water and the carpet staples are rusted.

Right and left outer tie rod boots are dry rotted and cracked, but not split.

left headlight motor contines to run for 3 seconds after the headlights close.

Driver's side mirror - top 1/4 inch is very dull. Liquid seeping out?

Shocks - no sign of leaks.

Bushings OK excper for the tie rod boots.

Photos suggest that the body is in very good shape.

This is a 12 year old car, I don't expect everything to be perfect. But I am paying a slight premium over NADA pricing, so I expect the car to be in pretty good shape, with no really major repairs needed right away.

What do you make of this report? Walk away? Run away? Go for the gusto and have fun driving this sucker?
Well the TC/ABS light should be ON with the 1214 code. Headlights will new new gears soon if not now. Cheap fix <$200 but the water in the trunk would be a show stopper for me. I say RUN.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Koufax
Drifting

First thing I would do is clear the codes and then take the car for a drive. When the drive is complete, pull the codes AGAIN BEFORE you shut off the ignition. Codes that return are the ones you need to be concerned about.

If you cannot drive the car then be prepared to have the EBCM sent out for repair ( C1214 code) and to replace the battery. LDCM and RDCM codes you listed are indicative of a battery related issue.

While a low or bad battery MAY have been the cause of the C1214 TCS code, unless you can drive the car after clearing the codes and pull codes again and NOT have the C1214 code return, you have to expect the worst. Cost to repair theC1214 EBCM (unless you want to DIY) is about $150 plus shipping.

If you want to repair the EBCM yourself read this link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-fleabay.html

With the water in the back I would probably pass on this vehicle.
Thank you for the reply. I thought that this thread had died so I re-posted. A $150 repair bill is not a worry. A $1,500 repair bill is a worry.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Koufax
Drifting

First thing I would do is clear the codes and then take the car for a drive. When the drive is complete, pull the codes AGAIN BEFORE you shut off the ignition. Codes that return are the ones you need to be concerned about.

With the water in the back I would probably pass on this vehicle.
The inspector did check the codes before and after the test drive, but I never told him to do the second check before turning off the engine. That's the first I've heard of that.

I am worried about the water in the back. No telling where it came from.

Get notified of new replies

To Anxiety attack - Should I back out of this?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

The inspector did check the codes before and after the test drive, but I never told him to do the second check before turning off the engine. That's the first I've heard of that.

I am worried about the water in the back. No telling where it came from.
I'm betting it's had some body work done and now it leaks water. How much is this thing?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Did he clear them after the first pull and BEFORE the test drive? If not then the second pulling was a waste of time unless there was some difference between the two.

Pulling the codes BEFORE you shut off the engine lets you see C or Current codes. The majority of the codes that happen and are current while the car is running/being driven will turn to H or History after the ignition is cycled. A few exceptions but most change to H .
He cleared them after the first pull and before the test drive. After the test drive, no codes came up. Befor the test drive, there were 10 codes, but none had an "H" after them.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:26 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

He cleared them after the first pull and before the test drive. After the test drive, no codes came up. Befor the test drive, there were 10 codes, but none had an "H" after them.
The 1214 WILL COME BACK!!! Really sounds like your trying to talk yourself into this nightmare. Water in the trunk is NEVER a good sign.

Quick Reply: Anxiety attack - Should I back out of this?