Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start/charge amps

Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Start/charge amps

No problem, just idle curiosity. I do a lot of short hops, in the 3-5 mile round trip range...for better or worse, just about everything I need is close to the house. So I got to wondering how long the engine needs to run to put back into the battery what came out during each start. I'm assuming, as a rough approximation, that start amps X cranking time has to equal charge amps X run time. Easy enough to solve, except I don't have a good feel for the typical values for 'amps' on either side of the equation.

My question is, how many amps does the starter typically draw and how many amps get delivered to the battery in charge mode?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:16 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
No problem, just idle curiosity. I do a lot of short hops, in the 3-5 mile round trip range...for better or worse, just about everything I need is close to the house. So I got to wondering how long the engine needs to run to put back into the battery what came out during each start. I'm assuming, as a rough approximation, that start amps X cranking time has to equal charge amps X run time. Easy enough to solve, except I don't have a good feel for the typical values for 'amps' on either side of the equation.

My question is, how many amps does the starter typically draw and how many amps get delivered to the battery in charge mode?
Good question. I take a lot of short trips too.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM
billc80
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default charge

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud

I do a lot of short trips too. I hook up my batt. charger and it charge's about 5 amps for 30 to 40 min. I'm running the air so that might make a diff.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

My rough-cut back-of-the-envelope worst-case analysis came out something like this:
Cranking draw is something on the order of 200A, assuming a 50% efficiency 1.5HP starter motor. Figure 2 seconds of cranking time, for a total of 400 amp-seconds from the battery.
Typical battery chargers operate in the 8-10A range in quick-charge mode, let's figure the charging system in the car is optimized for battery life and use half that: 4A. So it takes 100 seconds of run-time to pull the battery back up to where is started, and I doubt I could come up with a more conservative set of assumptions.
Sounds like it's not a problem. I'd still like some authoritative numbers for start and charge current though.

(Note: I doubt the starter draws much more than 100A, it's probably something under 1HP. Also, if it cranks for a full two seconds before it starts, something is very wrong. I may be way off on charge current though.)

Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 07-09-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is why I always keep my "toys" on the tender all the time, I never worry about this.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Ya, you're very conservative. The starter will draw below 200A and the alternator does not limit the battery charging current to only 4A. You could basically consider the alternator as a 14.4V source with a 110A or 140A current limit. At idle, the alternator might produce about 75% of it's rated current and the cars electrical loads are using some of the alternator output current so the possible battery charging current is less than the maximum alternator rating.

Get notified of new replies

To Start/charge amps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start/charge amps