Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air to the Radiator and intake/filters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air to the Radiator and intake/filters?

This may be a really dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out! I bought my C5 a week ago today (First corvette I have ever owned!). Anyhow, It has the short ram with cone like K&N air filters on it. I saw that the filters were excessivly dirty and decided to take them off to clean them. I ASSUMED that the radiator and filters/intake goe the air from the large slots in the bumper.... But to my surprise, they were blocked off!!!! The smaller slots in the bumper on the lower outside seems to have ducting but I can't figure out where that goes.... I would assume to the brakes/rotors??
I'm just curious to know these answers! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:06 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The ducts are for the front rotors. Corvettes are bottom breathers. The front air dam forces air up to the radiator when you are moving. The fans come on in stop and go traffic. Enjoy your new vette and don't forget to wave!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering about that! Yep, I know about the wave!!! I have motorcycles and have had boats and know all about the wave!!!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Donutz
This may be a really dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out! I bought my C5 a week ago today (First corvette I have ever owned!). Anyhow, It has the short ram with cone like K&N air filters on it. I saw that the filters were excessivly dirty and decided to take them off to clean them. I ASSUMED that the radiator and filters/intake goe the air from the large slots in the bumper.... But to my surprise, they were blocked off!!!! The smaller slots in the bumper on the lower outside seems to have ducting but I can't figure out where that goes.... I would assume to the brakes/rotors??
I'm just curious to know these answers! Thanks!
Be careful not to over oil the air filters or you could mess up your Mass Air Flow sensor.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Originally Posted by JR-01
Be careful not to over oil the air filters or you could mess up your Mass Air Flow sensor.
Thank you for the advice! That was one that I already knew about since I run K&N on my motorcycles and the mustang I used to have! I clean them thouroughly then let them set out in the sun until all water is off of them. Then I very lightly coat them with oil and let them sit on a towel for a few hours. Then I blow low pressure compressed out back through them to remove any extra oil and wipe them all down before install. It has seemed to work good in the past and seemed to work good this time so far!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Donutz
Thank you for the advice! That was one that I already knew about since I run K&N on my motorcycles and the mustang I used to have! I clean them thouroughly then let them set out in the sun until all water is off of them. Then I very lightly coat them with oil and let them sit on a towel for a few hours. Then I blow low pressure compressed out back through them to remove any extra oil and wipe them all down before install. It has seemed to work good in the past and seemed to work good this time so far!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by coia96vette
The ducts are for the front rotors. Corvettes are bottom breathers. The front air dam forces air up to the radiator when you are moving. The fans come on in stop and go traffic. Enjoy your new vette and don't forget to wave!
And remember, since the C5 is a bottom breather, it can suck up a lot of debris into the area in front of the radiator. Be sure to check that area and clean it every now and then or you can run into overheating problems.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
And remember, since the C5 is a bottom breather, it can suck up a lot of debris into the area in front of the radiator. Be sure to check that area and clean it every now and then or you can run into overheating problems.
Thank you Vetteman!!! I never thought about that!

Get notified of new replies

To Air to the Radiator and intake/filters?

Quick Reply: Air to the Radiator and intake/filters?