Sponsored by:

3rd Accident in 6 Months of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 PM
aTeam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd Accident in 6 Months of Ownership

I got my '99 with 34k miles and zero accidents from a family friend in mid January.

One month later I was parked in the 1st space of a series of parallel parking spots, backed in 4" from the curb and 4" away from the curb on the right. An old lady tried to pull directly into the spot on front of me and scraped the front bumper and left fender. She didn't even realize she did it but luckily for me, a police officer saw her do it. He had a feeling she was gonna hit me so he stood there and watched it happen. Fast forward, her insurance company gave me a check.

In the beginning of May my girlfriend back the c5 into a neighbors car. (I needed her to back the car up like 3'. I figured she could lightly let the clutch out and push it back in, she ended up popping the clutch and freaking out. She hit the gas by accident, I ripped the e-brake but it wasn't enough. We hit the car that was 25' behind us and I had to get the rear bumper and energy absorber replaced. I paid $1k, and her dad paid $1k.

Just got out of the gym today and I was parked in the furthest possible spot, 1cm from the curb on the right and 3" from the curb behind me. (I was backed in.) The guy that parked next to me for whatever reason backed into the spot to my left (closer to the door). When he pulled out he hit the same spot that the old lady hit. Front bumper and left fender. I have all his information and he felt really bad about it. But once again the c5 is going to the body shop.

It's been 6 months and the car has experienced 3 accidents. I have never been in any accidents in my previous car or any others for that matter. Suddenly I get my dream car and 2 people hit it while I was away from it and my girlfriend accidentally crashed it. Luckily it has all been cosmetic, this accident seems exactly like the first. I just can't catch a break, I make every effort to protect the car and people still manage to hit it

I don't know where I'm going with this but I just needed to vent it someone. This is frustrating as hell
Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Simple answer.

Replace the girlfriend !

therebye, changing your luck.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 PM
aTeam
Instructor

She's never driven manual and I tried to simplify it and just have her backup a few feet. That didn't really work out and I took responsibility for it but her Dad was nice enough to give me $1000 towards it which covered half.

And she does seem to have terrible luck. I see it as a self fulfilling prophecy, her outlook is that she has bad luck and she receives it. I on the otherhand, I have had great luck. Maybe she's just rubbing off on me too much lol.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I hope it turns around for you. At least tell us that the new paint and parts has fixed some issues the car had.

And never leave the nose sticking out so it can be hit. The best place to part is facing into a curb, that is unless you hit the curb.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I had a new Camaro, yellow with the black rally stripes (Bumble Bee version) and that car had some seriously bad Ju Ju, Charma, whatever you want to call it. Similar to your experience, within the first year it was in the body shop three different times, all for the same amount. Approx. $3500.00. First time was hail, second time was a dog that jumped up out of an irrigation ditch in front of me at night, third time was a bunch of kids that vandalized 20 or 30 cars one night. I still get a monthly check from the court system of $5.55 for restitution on that one. Ha ha.

Anyway, I finally gave up and got rid of the car.........no problems since. Not saying you should give up your 'Vette though, that's different.

DSTURBD
Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 PM
aTeam
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I hope it turns around for you. At least tell us that the new paint and parts has fixed some issues the car had.

And never leave the nose sticking out so it can be hit. The best place to part is facing into a curb, that is unless you hit the curb.
Why do you say that? Because the back is easier to see than the front?
Originally Posted by DSTURBD
I had a new Camaro, yellow with the black rally stripes (Bumble Bee version) and that car had some seriously bad Ju Ju, Charma, whatever you want to call it. Similar to your experience, within the first year it was in the body shop three different times, all for the same amount. Approx. $3500.00. First time was hail, second time was a dog that jumped up out of an irrigation ditch in front of me at night, third time was a bunch of kids that vandalized 20 or 30 cars one night. I still get a monthly check from the court system of $5.55 for restitution on that one. Ha ha.

Anyway, I finally gave up and got rid of the car.........no problems since. Not saying you should give up your 'Vette though, that's different.

DSTURBD
If anything else happens to this car I'm going to seriously consider selling it and buying a black c5 a few years newer and with a HUD.
It's such a pain being without a car while it's in the shop.

And thanks for the good sentiments guys.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Man, I hate to hear your string of unlucky events, it's got to get better for ya, and at least No one can say your not driving your car or that it's a garage queen.
Good Luck
Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully you are just going through a temporary spurt of bad luck and it is over with. Best of luck getting the car fixed.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hopefully you're due for a change in luck.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 PM
aTeam
Instructor

Thanks fellas. The guy is my Dad's neighbor and he's a good guy, he felt really bad about hitting me and wants to get it repaired. I have a good family friend that does great work who's my body shop guy so that should go over smoothly... again haha. I have a feeling this is it for the bad luck streak.

On the bright side I had the gouging on the rear bumper fixed when it was replaced in my 2nd accident, and all the underside scratches on the front bumper will be gone when it gets replaced.

I'm out for the night. Gotta get up and head over to the bodyshop when they open at 7:30 and be at the police academy by 9
Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 PM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully the old saying"things happen in 3's" is right in your case.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Sounds like you can't drive a lick.

That was a joke, sorry for your bad luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Stainsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4 KRUSIN
Hopefully the old saying"things happen in 3's" is right in your case.
I was just going to say that. Now your in for three good things.... at least I hope.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Sorry for the bad luck. People like destroying Vettes and other expensive cars.

Makes them feel justified for not owning one!

Some joke to this (of course) but a shread of realism as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 AM
tazor
Advanced

i had a car like that , i called it" bulls eye" after the 3rd hit i sold it and warned the new buyer
Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM
sierra 43
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know about the luck factor, but it seems to me people just do not know how to drive anymore. I have a torch red C5 convertible, and I have never had drivers pull out in front of me like they do when I drive that car. I think I just notice it more. As far as getting hit while parked, my 2012 Camaro ZL1 was hit in a parking lot and the rear bumper cover torn completely off, the other driver took off, of course.

I can say as a 38 year veteran law enforcement officer I have seen a steady decline in driving ability. Even if they are not texting, talking on the phone, reading a Kindle, or whatever, people can not drive. I had one of my Deputies injured when his cruiser was struck by another driver who thought he had waited long enough, and pulled out into traffic. Everybody is an hurry to go nowhere.

Well there is my rant. Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 11:59 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I know your pain.

Thank goodness it wasn't my Vette, but here is what happened to my wife's BRAND NEW Cadillac CTS 3 years ago...

Bought it in August. In Sept, some a**hat wiped out the front fascia in the CHURCH parking lot. No note, of course.

Not a month later, the windshield took a big rock on the highway and had a big star chip/crack right in the middle about the size of a half dollar.

Couple months after that, car was parked on the side of the road where wife works (only parking available) when a snow plow came by (there wasn't more than an inch of snow that day) and showered the whole passenger side with rocks, putting multiple rock chips in both side windows and the side of the car had probably a dozen dents/paint chips.

All that and the car wasn't even 6 months old.

Not too much bad happened after that, but the damage was done and her brand new Caddy looked like sh*t for the rest of the time we owned it. Traded it in on a new ATS earlier this year. Thank God, the bad juju seems to have gone with the other car...

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd Accident in 6 Months of Ownership

Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
People like destroying Vettes and other expensive cars.

Makes them feel justified for not owning one!
None of the incidents in this thread appeared to be deliberate, but don't let that get in the way of your rant.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I live in Chicago, accidents are a daily occurrence. Best of luck keeping your baby clean!!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I feel for you, and hope for the best.

I will relate to you a situation similar to yours.

My girlfriend in college had three accidents in six months; none of them were her fault.

At the time, Florida was a no-fault insurance state, so her insurance company paid and then fought it out with the other insurance company (one of the other driver's was un-insured).

Anyway, after the third accident, her insurance company cancelled her policy. She asked why, since none of the accidents were her fault.

They replied that "statistically speaking, she was accident prone, and therefore a bad risk".

Quick Reply: 3rd Accident in 6 Months of Ownership