Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 AM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Which is why, if you read my original post, I said MOST people fall into one or the other group. There are exceptions to every rule. Glad you are enjoying your Vette the way YOU want to enjoy it. That is what matters.
And that I am my friend. Enjoying it, but one thing I found out in life is that there are mostly no rules, mostly there are exceptions.

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
I have a truck because I need one. I drive it most days in the winter. I try to keep the Vettes clean but once one gets caught in the rain I will drive every day I can until I detail it. Once it gets dirty why not. It wont hurt it. We have the sane weather as you and I know how you feel. If I did not need a truck I would DD a Vette and still be a Vette guy. They are not the best car out there but I too dreamed of one since I was a kid.
I think you are near Seattle/Tacoma, same weather for sure. I wash mine 2 or 3 times a week, always have with all my cars. - if there were a sunny place in Canada like California or Arizona, I would be there in a shot! well I would have to convince my wife

Old 03-24-2015, 08:28 AM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not made out of sugar

That's right, it won't melt.

Need to drive them. That model will never be a classic (Too many built).

So drive it! If you don't drive 'em they - well bad things happen. Mostly electric. Just bought my 7th Vette - 1999 FRC and drove it from Oregon to Florida. Only 34K on the clock when I bought it.

So use it!...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I think we can agree on one thing . . . we all love and drive our Corvettes for different reasons. If you drive your car in the rain or snow that's awesome. If you choose only to drive it when the weather is nice, that's awesome as well. We're all intelligent enough to know that our cars won't melt or rust. Personally, I've never given a second thought to how someone uses their car. We all have different tastes and enjoy things differently, so let's not get lost over that fact that we all don't always do the same things. At the end of the day we share the same passion. Some of us just go about it differently. Enjoy your car the way you see fit, and don't be critical of those who enjoy their cars differently than you do.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I think we can agree on one thing . . . we all love and drive our Corvettes for different reasons. If you drive your car in the rain or snow that's awesome. If you choose only to drive it when the weather is nice, that's awesome as well. We're all intelligent enough to know that our cars won't melt or rust. Personally, I've never given a second thought to how someone uses their car. We all have different tastes and enjoy things differently, so let's not get lost over that fact that we all don't always do the same things. At the end of the day we share the same passion. Some of us just go about it differently. Enjoy your car the way you see fit, and don't be critical of those who enjoy their cars differently than you do.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schnellerkerl
That's right, it won't melt.

Need to drive them. That model will never be a classic (Too many built).

So drive it! If you don't drive 'em they - well bad things happen. Mostly electric. Just bought my 7th Vette - 1999 FRC and drove it from Oregon to Florida. Only 34K on the clock when I bought it.

So use it!...
Fifty years from now, they could very well be classics.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
The F-bods and 5.0's fox mustangs are becoming collector cars @ the auctions now, no doubt the C5 vette variations will be collectible @ some point.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 AM
daytonagary
Instructor

my C5 and my C7 gets driven hot or cold, rain or snow, doesn't matter. Maintaining the monetary value of the car means nothing to me. The smile put on my face when driving these cars means everything. No garage queens in my life. I have great pride in ownership but get no thrill just looking at it in garage. I would rather lose a few dollars when I pass it on to the next owner due to some wear and tear than lose all the enjoyment I could have had out of it.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daytonagary
my C5 and my C7 gets driven hot or cold, rain or snow, doesn't matter. Maintaining the monetary value of the car means nothing to me. The smile put on my face when driving these cars means everything. No garage queens in my life. I have great pride in ownership but get no thrill just looking at it in garage. I would rather lose a few dollars when I pass it on to the next owner due to some wear and tear than lose all the enjoyment I could have had out of it.
Correct.

Its not always about the money.
Fire it up in the garage when you get ready to take it out - well sometimes you just can't put a price on something.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM
charliesc5
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drive it ..........
Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 381 Likes on 238 Posts

In the end it is your car, It has been treated well. Seems like everyone wants you to trash it down to their cars level of average driver,LOL. Is it the reason you picked this one over the rest ? It's what separates yours from the rest of the beaters, and everyone can spot that instantly. Just saying. Ron B.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the picture on your avatar you are a man after my own heart!
These are "CARS", not priceless antiques that must be kept from the elements! I'm in the process of finding another Vette right now as I sold mine last summer and miss it. I hope I can score me a pristine one that the owner never actually enjoyed full time so I can buy it and drive the "crap" out of it!
PS. Coupes rule!

Last edited by C5Wolfe; 03-24-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
speedmaster64
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

That's my kind of guy! This thread has ruffled some feathers indeed. When reading some of the posts, I started imagining OCD-like behavior from some Corvettee owners, and then picturing their annoyed wives thinking to themselves "he treats his Corvette better than he treats me."
Old 03-24-2015, 11:58 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by speedmaster64
That's my kind of guy! This thread has ruffled some feathers indeed. When reading some of the posts, I started imagining OCD-like behavior from some Corvettee owners, and then picturing their annoyed wives thinking to themselves "he treats his Corvette better than he treats me."
All depends where you live and what you can put up with. I like to drive mine in good weather - I live in MA, we get extreme weather - you CAN'T drive a corvette in the winter here, unless you have a death wish.

I don't think I'm extreme in keeping it nice, but I just enjoy the car a helluva lot more when its nice, sunny, and dry out. When the roads are covered in salt/sand like we just had = not fun, headaches. When it is so cold I can't go WOT until 4th gear = not fun. When (IF) I hit a pothole large enough to destroy my rim, front suspension, and clip/bumper = not fun. Driving it in torrential rain where you can't get on it anywhere and have to worry about hydroplaning constant = not fun.

Go ahead and argue otherwise, tough to plead your case in those scenarios.

If I lived in CA I'd probably drive my vette year round and treat it a little rougher, but I'd still have something else as a DD.

If I wanted a sport/fun DD that could handle the year round climate of new england, well then I'd be driving a subie STi tuned and bolted.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by norcalace
I'll call BS on that one.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I love the rain, and sometimes if I'm feeling lazy and I want a quick car clean-up, I'll drive it out into the rain from underneath the carport where it sits under my house, and I'll lather it up with the car soap and the sponge, and let the rain wash and rinse it off. It works great, and the water's clean. After the rain stops, then I'll dry it off, either with towels or with the blast from the leaf blower if I'm really being lazy. My car looks great, to me and to others, and I'm not interested in having it absolutely mint and pristine. To me, there's the law of diminishing returns, and I'm not that obsessive and compulsive. I wasn't the original owner, the car is now 15 years old, I drive it whenever I go anywhere with the exception of the home improvement store to pick up a load of lumber, then I'll use my Suburban. It came to me having gotten wet before and has the few and far between paint nicks or dings from being driven, and I doubt the value has dropped because of it getting wet or the rare and tiny paint nicks from driving it. To me it's much more important for it to be reliable and as perfect mechanically as it can be, rather than being pristine in appearance. I appreciate the cars of you guys who keep them that way, it's the icing on the cake, but it's just not that same priority to me. I love my car, the second C5 I've owned, and as long as it runs, will keep it looking good by waxing it and then cleaning it once in a while when it gets dusty and dirty. We each have our own opinions of how we live and use our possessions and we don't have to flame each other for our differing values. Just enjoy the ride.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Fifty years from now, most of us will be dead.
Whoever owns my car at that point can either (1) pay a buttload of cash for a full restoration, or (2) suck it.

Get notified of new replies

To C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Old 03-24-2015, 02:29 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Fifty years from now, most of us will be dead.
Whoever owns my car at that point can either (1) pay a buttload of cash for a full restoration, or (2) suck it.
Some of us will be dead for sure. Fifty years ago a lot of Corvettes were trashed because some folks didn't they would be worth much. Perhaps 30 years from now C5s will start to be classics.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:34 PM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

Some of us will be dead for sure. Fifty years ago a lot of Corvettes were trashed because some folks didn't they would be worth much. Perhaps 30 years from now C5s will start to be classics.
I should live so long....

Only certain C5s will be classics.

The FRC is one because they didn't make many of them.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

They made too many of them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5s Never driven in the rain.....