C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

12 years old, 4500 miles, no rain yet.

We are looking at Vettes & Jets in TX next summer. The streak might end.

Last edited by Jeff T.; 08-14-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:31 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I always check the weather forecast before taking the car out for a drive and have only gotten stuck in rain a handful of times. Once a year the car is driven in events that cover 2-4 days. On these occasions there's not much you can do if you want to enjoy the car and participate in these things. Driving the car in the rain doesn't bother me when there's nothing I can do about it, but as others have suggested, the 6-8 hours for cleaning and detailing afterwards is something I don't look forward to.
However, I'm retired so TIME is what I have and once I get started on the cleaning process I actually enjoy it!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:10 AM
UR LZN
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not meant to be driven in the rain?....Heck! It was ENGINEERED to be driven in the rain!

I've had mine in the rain - if I didn't then I would have missed another road trip with her! Yes, it gets a little dirty BUT it can be cleaned - even to the extent of several first-place winnings (after a rain drive).

Just Enjoy the car - just as the GM Engineers want you to!....

(BTW - that's an awesome 04!)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by UR LZN
Not meant to be driven in the rain?....Heck! It was ENGINEERED to be driven in the rain!

I've had mine in the rain - if I didn't then I would have missed another road trip with her! Yes, it gets a little dirty BUT it can be cleaned - even to the extent of several first-place winnings (after a rain drive).

Just Enjoy the car - just as the GM Engineers want you to!....

(BTW - that's an awesome 04!)
Did they engineer in the leaky roofs, wet BCMs and corroded electrical connectors? I don't cancel road trips because of rain, but if I don't have to drive in the rain I take my other vehicles. Keeps the convertible top and everything else like new. I did drive 300 miles across NY state in a pouring rain. It survived.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Bud Doggin
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never rains here.....
Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I got my 2004 Z06 new in March 2004. I will not drive mine in the rain. Its too much work cleaning it back up again. I have a daily driver that sees all the nasty stuff.

It has been driven in the rain 3 times due to a freak storm that popped up when I was away from home. Took me 8+ hours each time to get it clean again.

11+ yrs , 33,000 miles now and still loving it !

Toque

Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
I got my 2004 Z06 new in March 2004. I will not drive mine in the rain. Its too much work cleaning it back up again. I have a daily driver that sees all the nasty stuff.

It has been driven in the rain 3 times due to a freak storm that popped up when I was away from home. Took me 8+ hours each time to get it clean again.

11+ yrs , 33,000 miles now and still loving it !

Toque

Almost five years of ownership for me...and I also avoid driving in the rain if I can. Not because the car will melt, but because of the time involved in properly detailing the car. Big difference between washing a car and properly detailing a car.

Now...when I went to the NCM 20th last summer I was warned that it would probably rain...and man did it ever! Four of the five days I was gone I wound up driving in rain. NO regrets though. It was a calculated risk - and I decided it was more important to attend this event even if it meant a lot of extra hours detailing the car.

That is the only time it has been in the rain since I have owned it.

Looking forward to warmer weather and gettin' her out again!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM
PHIL MEMPHIS
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm like several of the other owners. Don't drive in rain due to extra time needed for detailing. Had my 2001 Coupe for almost 9 years. It's been rained on 3 times, all at car shows. Don't use it as a daily driver so just pick my days to drive it.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Can't believe how many people will not drive a plastic bodied car in the rain! Mine IS my daily driver - the only time it is parked is if there is snow on the road. Nothing like driving fast in the rain with the car throwing "roostertails" out behind. And, BTW, no leaks at all.

Besides all that washing and polishing just wears away the paint.

It's a car, get out there and enjoy it!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:31 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Can't believe how many people will not drive a plastic bodied car in the rain! Mine IS my daily driver - the only time it is parked is if there is snow on the road. Nothing like driving fast in the rain with the car throwing "roostertails" out behind. And, BTW, no leaks at all.

Besides all that washing and polishing just wears away the paint.

Most people don't drive them in the rain because they don't have to. They aren't their daily drivers. If you don't drive them in the rain you don't have to wash and polish them so much.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:54 PM
dkuls@live.com
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rain

Originally Posted by BamaJ
OK, I've owned my first Vette ('04, 6554 miles) for a little over a month now, and so far I've been able to continue the same level of extreme care that the previous owner gave it for its first 10 years.....and not drive it in the rain. Of course it wasn't bought as a daily driver so it's not like I've missed work when there was a chance of rain forecasted, but I have missed three cruise-ins & a show because I didn't want to chance it after checking the weather radar (and each time it DIDN'T rain). Is it crazy that I feel this responsibility to keep her off a wet highway? I know it's going to kill me if I ever get caught out with no where to pull over & have to continue driving her in the rain. I'll feel like I've let her down, and even though I'll probably never meet the original owner I'd be ashamed if I ever did & had to break the bad news. Anyone else out there feel the same way about their Vette? Has anyone tried to keep theirs dry & clean but finally get caught out & decide to just throw in the towel? And for those that still own a "never driven" C5 what tricks or practices do you use to avoid the rain? Ever go on long trips? Right now I can't imagine ever venturing very far from home. Is this crazy? By the way, I absolutely love this car.
I'll appreciate any comments/advice. Thanks!

Beautiful car - congratulations. Mine is a 2001 vert with 33k miles. Living in Minnesota I have a simple rule that keeps the bottom clean and shiny: Undercover during the snow season, roughly Nov to April, then it doesn't hit the road until a good rain has washed the salt off the roads. I usually don't take it out of the garage if it's raining, but I do get caught occasionally. The undercarriage is clean as can be and even better, we have never found any corrosion - top, bottom, bolts, anywhere. Sick? My driveway is 300 ft long was gravel until I bought this vett, then I had it paved
d
Old 03-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Rain makes corn. Corn makes whiskey. Whiskey makes my baby a little frisky. Even more so when she's riding shotgun in my vette. Rain is a good thing. I enjoy every moment in my car rain or shine. Love the satisfaction I get when I clean her back up to see the beauty that is the Corvette!

Last edited by Stealth02; 03-22-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:09 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Can't believe how many people will not drive a plastic bodied car in the rain!

I've probably said this a hundred times, but I'll say it again. Why would anyone even be remotely concerned about how I use a car that I bought and paid for? I've had my car 15 years and have never driven it in the rain or washed it.

There are those on this forum who drive their cars in all kinds of weather. God bless 'em! I don't find that strange at all. I choose not to drive mine in the rain because that's how I enjoy my car. There seems to be a misconception that those of us who have garage queens aren't really enjoying our cars. I bought mine as a toy. Nothing more. Nothing less. It gives me great pleasure just knowing it's parked in my garage and that I can drive it on a beautiful summer day if I want. We all enjoy things differently, and that's how I choose to enjoy my car.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I'm on both sides of the fence.
My 98 goes in the rain (though I'm not a fan of it) so my 02 doesn't have to go in the rain.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:44 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

I've had mine almost 6 years, 85,000 miles. Not a daily driver, so I don't have to take it out in the rain. However, if I'm at a car show or taking a ride out to dinner and get caught in a pop up thunderstorm, I don't sweat it. No big deal. It's a car. I'll clean it and move on...
Old 03-22-2015, 04:05 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Depends on where you live. You will never drive it here with that fear. I try not to as I don't have time to detail it. But I have and in snow too. And it's been farted in.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rains in Florida all the time

Several coats of ReJex keeps mine pristine. I love the way water beads with ReJex.
Use a top conditioner on convertible fabric top.
After several years of being a garage Queen. I now use her all the time.
I like to detail and don't mind it at all. I have a Billion Dollars worth of
detailing products just for her. My love affair.

Get notified of new replies

To C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 PM
speedmaster64
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Default no offense guys..

I love my Corvette, maybe its because I live in Southern Cal, but this whole concept of never driving in the rain is hard to understand.

I drive my '08 all wheel drive Acura RL when its raining, but I've driven the Corvette in the rain and its fun. Just about anything in the rain is fun now and then.

The guy who owned my car from 2002 until last September drove it in the rain, the hood and the front panels have lots of little marks on them from thousands of freeway miles (he commuted at odd hours), and I love that the car is, well, a car, and not a lead crystal champagne glass or a Faberge egg.

When I bought the Corvette I had it inspected and the undercarriage looked immaculate. 12 years old!

So, why buy a car like this and be so obsessive? Its not a Ferrari Daytona for goodness sake. Also, when the end approaches and you either sell the car or get so old you can't drive it anymore, is this going to matter? It's a $20,000, 15 year old Chevy.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by speedmaster64
I love my Corvette, maybe its because I live in Southern Cal, but this whole concept of never driving in the rain is hard to understand.

I drive my '08 all wheel drive Acura RL when its raining, but I've driven the Corvette in the rain and its fun. Just about anything in the rain is fun now and then.

The guy who owned my car from 2002 until last September drove it in the rain, the hood and the front panels have lots of little marks on them from thousands of freeway miles (he commuted at odd hours), and I love that the car is, well, a car, and not a lead crystal champagne glass or a Faberge egg.

When I bought the Corvette I had it inspected and the undercarriage looked immaculate. 12 years old!

So, why buy a car like this and be so obsessive? Its not a Ferrari Daytona for goodness sake. Also, when the end approaches and you either sell the car or get so old you can't drive it anymore, is this going to matter? It's a $20,000, 15 year old Chevy.
No, it's a $20,000, 15 year old Corvette.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by speedmaster64

So, why buy a car like this and be so obsessive? Its not a Ferrari Daytona for goodness sake. It's a $20,000, 15 year old Chevy.
I don't expect people to understand why I treat my Corvette the way I do. As I've also said many, many times over the years on this forum, it boggles my mind that someone else is concerned about how I enjoy or use my possessions. My '98 means just as much to me as a Ferrari Daytona does to its owner. I've spent thousands of dollars getting it to where it is today. At the end of the day it may very well be a $20,000, 17-year old Chevy. It's not about what it will be worth at the end to me. It's about my passion and that's all that matters.

Quick Reply: C5s Never driven in the rain.....