Sponsored by:

C5 Headlight golden rod fix.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Fast Red
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Headlight golden rod fix.

I had this problem. I never saw a good fix on the forum. Only PB Blaster which didnt work for me and only made a mess. I finally broke one golden rod so had nothing to loose in a tear down of it. Well the good news is you can disassemble right down to the gear and the golden rod. Then it is easy to work the gear loose on the shaft. I wish this was posted where I could have found it before. I cut a common screw driver slot where the golden rod broke off and it adjusts with a long screw driver. So take them apart before you break the rod or gear. Also I cut the 65 watt high beam bulb tabs down and put them in low beams where the stock low is only 55 watt. Replaced the High beam bulb with the brighter bulbs and I have great driving lights. I bought the car used with Apex projector lights in it. They were not good at all for side lighting and either the highs were off or the lows were off. You had to set them right in between and they were livable. But I like the factory c5s setup. Last body style with the hidden lights and now they work really well. I hope this with help some one on the problem with adjustment.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Fast Red
Intermediate

By the way, the golden rod gear box just pops apart. I would encourage to do this instead of the PB Blaster for a fix. You can free up the gear really good instead of enough just to move it where next time if you want to adjust it, it wont be frozen up. Just what I have found out .. Hope it will help someone.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I don't know what it looks like when apart but would it be possible to put some grease on the gears before putting it back together? I have adjusted mine before but they weren't froze up and didn't break, lucky me. But I might just take them apart to clean them and grease them if it's possible. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 PM
JimInPA
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 16 Posts

Found this repair at Carlisle- looks pretty reliable.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Fast Red
Intermediate

Default Your repair didnt show

Originally Posted by JimInPA
Found this repair at Carlisle- looks pretty reliable.

Corvette Pop Up headlight repair - YouTube
I was unable only to get a washed picture of a C4 vette on your link.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Fast Red
Intermediate

just take it apart and free the gear. Keep it all stock. The price is good and your car is original.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:27 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mstromquist
I don't know what it looks like when apart but would it be possible to put some grease on the gears before putting it back together? I have adjusted mine before but they weren't froze up and didn't break, lucky me. But I might just take them apart to clean them and grease them if it's possible. Thanks for the info.
Yes, that's what you want to do if you take them apart. Clean out all the old grease and dirt and relube them.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Fast Red
Intermediate

Default To grease???

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
Yes, that's what you want to do if you take them apart. Clean out all the old grease and dirt and relube them.
That is a good question. Plastic and regular grease don't go good together. You would have to use silicon grease to keep it from damaging the plastic. I don't like That I have PB blaster on mine. Now grease can seal the threads. It can also a track dirt and hold it. It can possibly even harden up and freeze it up. I would put dry silicon spray lube on the gear and shaft after it is freed up. Once adjusted the gear just sits in one spot for most of its life if it is done right. So it goes back to the old thing, use it or loose it. Just a dry lube is what I would recommend.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Headlight golden rod fix.

Quick Reply: C5 Headlight golden rod fix.