Sponsored by:

cupped tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM
t tom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cupped tires?

have 2003 vert with 12k on it. Has original runflats on it! Was cleaning out front of radiator and noticed front tires are really cupped badly!! Will be putting new Hankooks on soon, but what would cause the originals to be this bad? Car handles and drives fine, doesn't pull one way or another! They are only cupped on inside edge. Is this a common thing with these runflats? Don't want to ruin a new set of tires if something is amiss! Thanks, Tom
Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Your car needs an alignment. Have it checked because it'll do that on whatever tires you install.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Wear only on the inside edge is usually alignment.

Cupping is usually wheel balance, worn/loose parts, or shocks.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
Wear only on the inside edge is usually alignment.

Cupping is usually wheel balance, worn/loose parts, or shocks.
Sounds like OP has a bit of both.
Since it's unlikely to have fallen out of alignment in 12K miles, maybe it was lowered and that increased the camber?
(Or decreased...I can never remember which way it's measured. Leaning in at the top is what I meant.)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 PM
t tom
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Sounds like OP has a bit of both.
Since it's unlikely to have fallen out of alignment in 12K miles, maybe it was lowered and that increased the camber?
(Or decreased...I can never remember which way it's measured. Leaning in at the top is what I meant.)
hasn't been lowered, have read on another forum that these cars have a negative camber adj. and that the run flats have a large square shoulder and hard sidewall which will cause inside edge cupping even on low milage vehicles! so time for run flats to go! like I said car drives straight , no pull, or vibration, worn parts at 12k just doesn't seem feesible, thanks
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

It is usually a good idea to get a full alignment (front and rear) when replacing tires as expensive as we run. I would find the best alignment shop in your area (the technology has changed a lot over the years), and have them tell you what changes were made and why.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:01 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

12k miles is along times without checking the alignment. Also don't assume it left the factory correct. I've redone many new cars right off the showroom. Especially the grand sports. They had issues with inner front tire wear due to excessive negative camber. The car is 11 years old. The spring do lose some tension over time.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 AM
t tom
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrr23
12k miles is along times without checking the alignment. Also don't assume it left the factory correct. I've redone many new cars right off the showroom. Especially the grand sports. They had issues with inner front tire wear due to excessive negative camber. The car is 11 years old. The spring do lose some tension over time.
very good points! Will have alignment done when new hankooks go on! appreciate responses, Tom

Get notified of new replies

To cupped tires?

Quick Reply: cupped tires?