Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel Brake Lines rubbing on wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM
jph1972
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines rubbing on wheel.

Installed stainless steel brake lines this past weekend. I noticed that one of the lines is rubbing on the wheel when make a sharp turn to the left. I re positioned the line but it keeps rubbing.

I tried to match the path of the original rubber lines but the stainless is stiffer and does not like to stay in the position as the factory lines. Plus there was not a clip to hold the line in place. Any suggestions on how to keep them from rubbing.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jph1972
Installed stainless steel brake lines this past weekend. I noticed that one of the lines is rubbing on the wheel when make a sharp turn to the left. I re positioned the line but it keeps rubbing.

I tried to match the path of the original rubber lines but the stainless is stiffer and does not like to stay in the position as the factory lines. Plus there was not a clip to hold the line in place. Any suggestions on how to keep them from rubbing.

Thanks.
What brand ss lines did you install? I read that some are longer than others. Do you hear/feel the lines rubbing while cornering?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 AM
jph1972
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't remember the brand bought them a few months ago from Ecklers. I made sure the lines were the correct length before install them and they seamed to match up. One difference I noticed the factory lines have a square block on the end that attaches to the caliper which spaces the line about a 1/4" away from the caliper. The stainless steel lines do not have this block and are technically 1/4 closer to the caliper.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jph1972
Can't remember the brand bought them a few months ago from Ecklers. I made sure the lines were the correct length before install them and they seamed to match up. One difference I noticed the factory lines have a square block on the end that attaches to the caliper which spaces the line about a 1/4" away from the caliper. The stainless steel lines do not have this block and are technically 1/4 closer to the caliper.
The square block connection may be the issue. I know Russell has those which is why I'm considering their SS brake lines for my upcoming project.

You may want to try and install some spacers of some kind.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...e%20Forum&txt=

Last edited by MSG C5; 08-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

It's best to have the car up in the air with the wheels installed so you can turn them to see where it rubs. Sometimes you just need to orient the lines differently where they bolt to the caliper. Other times you may need to strap tie them to the lower control arm.

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Steel Brake Lines rubbing on wheel.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brake Lines rubbing on wheel.