Another CLB failure --

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Another CLB failure --

I've had a column lock bypass on my M6 2004 coupe since right after I purchased the car in 12/05 (the recall re-programming was already done when I bought it).

Today the CLB failed while my wife was running errands, with the car consistently shutting down when exceeding 2 mph and leaving her stranded with the "Pull Key, Wait 10 sec" and "Service Column Lock" DIC messages. Obviously, the BCM wasn't seeing the "we're unlocked and ok here" message from the CLB.

While I got to the car I tried all I could think of -- clearing codes, disconnecting the battery, verified the battery was good (voltmeter and observing cranking behavior), removing the CLB (an interesting job to do in the middle of a grocery store lot) and reconnecting the column lock harness. Nothing worked, so I finally had to call it a night and have the car towed to the local dealer. Should be an interesting call tomorrow ...

A couple Q's:

I haven't followed this issue in a long time -- is the cure just a hook up to the dealer's diagnostic computer to clear the fault?

Also, is GM covering the cost of this (well-known) problem under any sort of extended warranty or good will program?

Next I have to decide whether I want to replace the CLB or leave it stock. Any thoughts/recommendations?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Very detailed response by 8VETTE7. Best of luck getting the car going again.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 AM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Thank you for taking the time for the very detailed comments!

I would love to diagnose/fix it myself, but I simply do not have the time, nor access to the diagnostic computer. I stopped by the dealer this morning on the way to work to flag the battery as a potential source of the problem. I doubt it did much good, though, as the service writer was as responsive as a lump of unleavened dough -- I'm not expecting that he'll convey the battery info to the tech.

It may well be the battery. The car had been sitting a month or so, but because it turned the engine over well, so I didn't think much about the 12.5V I saw on the voltmeter; in hindsight, I probably moved past the battery too quickly.

I'll post when I hear back from the dealer.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=8VETTE7;1587592835]The Tech will connect up their TECH II and try to operate the lock motor manually. It won't respond so the first suspect is the lock motor has failed.. Big charge item mostly the labor to dismantle the steering wheel since the lock motor surrounds the column:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...lumn-lock.html

Once that is replaced the column still won't unlock because the Column Lock Relay has failed. Eventually the Tech will figure that out and replace the $40 item. In the meantime you get a bill run up to over $1000. QUOTE]

With the horrible service that so-called " auto repair technicians" offer these days, don't expect much diagnosing. All they know is to hook up a computer and replace modules that don't respond. Almost robotic like. I guess that is the difference between auto "mechanics" and " technicians". But, good luck. Hope it works out.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The Tech will connect up their TECH II and try to operate the lock motor manually. It won't respond so the first suspect is the lock motor has failed.. Big charge item mostly the labor to dismantle the steering wheel since the lock motor surrounds the column:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...lumn-lock.html

Once that is replaced the column still won't unlock because the Column Lock Relay has failed. Eventually the Tech will figure that out and replace the $40 item. In the meantime you get a bill run up to over $1000.

Sounds like if the car sat for a month, you have alternative transportation and the car could sit a bit longer while you make time to save a lot of money. I would.
Thanks -- if it comes back with a big-ticket proposal, I'll have it towed home and work on it when I have time. I don't immediately need it, as I commute on one of our motorcycles, and have a C6 as a backup plan (tough life I know -- but actually worked for/earned, not given or taken for granted!).
Old 08-15-2014, 10:11 AM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by mneblett
Thanks -- if it comes back with a big-ticket proposal, I'll have it towed home and work on it when I have time. I don't immediately need it, as I commute on one of our motorcycles, and have a C6 as a backup plan (tough life I know -- but actually worked for/earned, not given or taken for granted!).
Well, turned out that it was a combination of my wife's taking the car to a car wash (for the first time in its life!) and a blocked right cowl drain -- water ingress knocked out the column lock relay -- good call 8VETTE7.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

The LMC-5 install has you pull that relay, correct? I think that was the relay it had me pull.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 AM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
It will hopefully help others that have not yet cleaned their rubber udders on the wiper well drains or the AC condensate drain
This was the main reason for posting the solution -- I've been pretty good over the years in regularly cleaning the utters, but there has been a ~6 mo. period where I didn't pay attention. Lesson learned; I pay the price for the neglect and get on with life.

And I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the C6's drains this weekend! I'll bet I won't like what I find ...
Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Kahuna1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are still having issues with the CLB email me a contact phone # and I can help you to see if we can get all your issues corrected. One thing to check is if GM recall has been made with the install of the K Harness the K Harness will have to be removed for the CLB to work. Any questions just let me know. David Nash

- kfn01 Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: kfn01
Subject: Re: kfn01 sent a message about 1997-2004 CORVETTE STEERING COLUMN LOCK BYPASS w/UNLOCKER SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY #111205106106
Sent Date: Jun-27-14 07:47:18 PDT

Dear kfn01,

We did the install last night and it went pretty smooth but we did have some issues. First as Im the second owner of the car I know nothing of the previous history. When I got the car I had the steering lock alarm - but my steering would not lock - you could turn the wheel - lock to lock with no problem - we did follow the procedure that came with the bypass but on the step where you plug into the alarm and to the cigarette lighter we di not hear or experience an unlock (Because I think it had already been unlocked) we tried it a couple of times with no change - so we reintalled the knee pad - the alarm is still present with the bypass installed - so the instruction say to pull all thees plugs from the box located on the passenger side and let discharge for a few hours - i disconnecte them last night and have not reconnected as of yet - hopefully this will make the alarm disappear.

- sonoran1_2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: sonoran1_2008
Subject: kfn01 sent a message about 1997-2004 CORVETTE STEERING COLUMN LOCK BYPASS w/UNLOCKER SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY #111205106106
Sent Date: Jun-09-14 06:21:29 PDT

Dear sonoran1_2008,

Thanks for your recent Ebay purchase.Hope everything was satisfactory with your order. Positive feedback has been left for you please do the same for me. Thanks again.

- kfn01

1997-2004 CORVETTE STEERING COLUMN LOCK BYPASS w/UNLOCKER SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY
Item Id: 111205106106
End time: Jun-29-14 16:11:27 PDT
Seller:
kfn01 (479)
100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since Mar-21-04 in United States

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:38 PM
yanmar
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default question for 8vette7

I just installed the lmc5 last week , luckily it failed in the garage, brought on by a weak 2 year old red top optima battery. This battery only has 800 cold cranking amps, i'm not sure that's enough, but i went with this battery because it's gel and not supposed to leak . As you know the wiring harness lives below. What battery would you suggest i buy the next time? And yes i am using 'battery tender' . Thanks for your time and thanks again to Richard, Compliance Parts, and the helpful people on this forum.................yanmar

Get notified of new replies

To Another CLB failure --

Quick Reply: Another CLB failure --