Sponsored by:

Left Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 AM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Left Turn Signal

Getting ready to head to Carlisle this weekend and noticed left turn signal bulb(s) are out on 2001. Searched topic section and looks like wire harness, LED replacements, dielectric grease, bulb socket overheating and distortion were issues for '05 - '06. Ours is a 2001. Is there an easier and less expensive fix to get at the bulbs and replace just the bulbs without taking the front clip and / or inner fender liner off to gain access to the bulbs? Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:54 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by KS69Coupe
Getting ready to head to Carlisle this weekend and noticed left turn signal bulb(s) are out on 2001. Searched topic section and looks like wire harness, LED replacements, dielectric grease, bulb socket overheating and distortion were issues for '05 - '06. Ours is a 2001. Is there an easier and less expensive fix to get at the bulbs and replace just the bulbs without taking the front clip and / or inner fender liner off to gain access to the bulbs? Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.
The DRLs cause a lot of heat build up and result in premature failures. I disabled mine and I'm still on the original bulbs. The housings can be damaged by the heat letting water in. You'll get three suggestions for changing the bulbs.

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

The one that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It comes out by turning the bulb holder a ¼ turn counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Here’s how the bulb fits into the lamp unit. The DRL bulb is the lower of the two.

Here’s the light socket. This one’s after market but it gives you the idea. You can see the clip you need to squeeze.

Change the bulb. It’s a push fit into the lamp holder. Push it home firmly but don’t handle the glass. Use latex gloves if you have them. Reseat the bulb holder and turn clockwise until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic headlight housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

It’s a 10 minute job. Some guys have had the lights close if they’ve taken a while to do the fix. If you’re worried about that, disconnect the battery once the lights are up.

The bulb is a 4157NA

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 AM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Fantastic information and details. Thank you for explaining the 3 options. I'll try the one that worked for you and put the lights up and remove the back cover. Appreciate the suggestions and the diagrams - big help. And, the bulb part number too. Thanks DeeGee.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:27 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Here's a video of the brake duct method:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...73231344,d.aWw
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I just raised the hood turned on head lights to be able to see down inside and reached in and unpluged the light and replaced. Didn't take anything off, a little tight but no big deal, 2-3 minute job.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 AM
brucemac64
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I put this on a thread not to long ago but my 01 kept blowing and I got mad at it and took it apart and found burned small hole in top of plastic that would allow a small drip of water to land right on the bulb!!!! Put high temp gasket seal on hole and problem solved!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Left Turn Signal

Quick Reply: Left Turn Signal