Pull Key Wait 10 Sec after installing LMC5

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:48 PM
bmoore03
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pull Key Wait 10 Sec after installing LMC5

Hey guys,
I've had my 2003 manual AE coupe for a couple of months now. No problems of any kind with it so far. Spending time on the forums here and reading about the various issues people were having convinced me that I should probably go ahead and install the LMC5 module just for peace of mind. I was not experiencing any issues with the column, just wanted to be proactive.

I ordered it up and installed it yesterday afternoon. I read through the very detailed instructions several times and even watched Rick's YouTube video of the installation process. I'm confident that I installed it correctly. After the installation I took it for a test drive and had no issues.

This morning I drove it to work and parked it. A short time later I got in, started it up and the engine died while I was backing it up. I figured I had just stalled it, so I tried again with the same result. Then I looked down at the DIC and saw "Pull Key Wait 10 sec".

I did as the nice computer instructed and pulled the key, waited 10 seconds after which it started up with no messages and I was able to drive home with no problems.

When I got home I checked for codes (Prior to the install there were no codes). Today I've got:

38-RTD U1000H

40-BCM B2587H
40-BCM B2592H

I've read a few other threads and saw that people do sometimes see the Pull Key message every so often after installing the LMC5. Just wanted to get your collective opinion on the situation and make sure I haven't created the situation I was trying to avoid.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 PM
bmoore03
Advanced

I talked to Richard from Compliance this afternoon about my situation and the reports of his helpfulness were not exaggerated.

He tried very hard to explain why things like this happen in a small percentage of cars, but I'm pretty sure he was speaking German at that point because I didn't understand a word of it.

Then he directed me to look at the instructions again and to look for a section that begins with the following sentence:

"The optional steps below are ONLY if you continue to see Pull Key, Wait 10 seconds messages at any time AFTER installing the LMC5"

I followed the optional steps, so hopefully I'm good to go now.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM
LoStrings
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull key...wait 10 seconds

I just went thru the same thing you did and I called Richard and he advised me to do the optional brown wire, and everything is fine with no messages...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Curses... I guess I need to go read that again. I got it, but after doing what the nice computer said, I was okay. I'm paranoid as hell, though.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM
LoStrings
8th Gear

Originally Posted by CarriageTownVette
Curses... I guess I need to go read that again. I got it, but after doing what the nice computer said, I was okay. I'm paranoid as hell, though.
Yea, I know what you mean...every time I turn the key I look for those messages.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Okay, reading the instructions, I'm confused by the "cut the brown wire" portion. Very confused. Would one of you who has done this step mind posting pics and/or an explanation? I'm thinking my battery was just a smidge low, but I need to monitor it, just in case.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:01 PM
LoStrings
8th Gear

Originally Posted by CarriageTownVette
Okay, reading the instructions, I'm confused by the "cut the brown wire" portion. Very confused. Would one of you who has done this step mind posting pics and/or an explanation? I'm thinking my battery was just a smidge low, but I need to monitor it, just in case.
There is a optional brown wire that that you will attach to the larger pink connector and there is a looped brown wire that comes out of the LMC5 that you will cut in half, it is very easy once you get in there.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

It is also necessary to turn key on for a few seconds and let comp. Do its thing and then crank, i got the message after install, compliance guy reminded me of this and i remember reading this n the instructions. Hasn't happened since
Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

OP, hopefully you got it fixed. Sure glad I do not have to worry about the column lock on my '03 A4.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like I get to do the brown wire as well.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM
RayCE
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bmoore03
I talked to Richard from Compliance this afternoon about my situation and the reports of his helpfulness were not exaggerated.

He tried very hard to explain why things like this happen in a small percentage of cars, but I'm pretty sure he was speaking German at that point because I didn't understand a word of it.

Then he directed me to look at the instructions again and to look for a section that begins with the following sentence:

"The optional steps below are ONLY if you continue to see Pull Key, Wait 10 seconds messages at any time AFTER installing the LMC5"

I followed the optional steps, so hopefully I'm good to go now.
Just wondering how it turned out ?!?!?
I have the same issue. I was looking for the instructions this morning at my garage but did not find them. Will check when I get home tonight.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
bmoore03
Advanced

Originally Posted by RayCE
Just wondering how it turned out ?!?!?
I have the same issue. I was looking for the instructions this morning at my garage but did not find them. Will check when I get home tonight.
I did the optional steps and I didn't see the pull key message when I started it afterwards. It's raining here today so I didn't drive it. Last thing I need is a melted Corvette.

It's one of those things where success is measured by nothing happening, so I guess time will tell.

Here are the optional steps in case you can't find your copy of the directions.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Mail came a day late... WOW was that easy peaze
Watch the video and get all the info from there.
But the Compliance Parts LMC5 worked like a charm.
And I am no electrician, also did have a problem with the single wire on the pink harness. Snapped off, but got it out with a larger allen key that fit better.
Also of note I do believe that last wire point to the outside of the cover not the inside like the first 2.

But will never own another C5 without one, even though mine had the CL done by GM...yes, it still bit me in the azz.

Drive on bruthas.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Brown wire install was simple and very effective. LOVE this product. FYI, the dealer who was willing to install it was going to charge me one hour's labor. It took me a total of 1/2 hour, tops, and that was doing the two processes separate, and I'm a nitwit. So, option a) Dealer charges $530 + install for the steering column which doesn't fix the issue, b) pay dealer to install the part that DOES fix the problem, $60+$115 labor ($60 b/c of overnight shipping), or c) $60 to fix problem and no lost vette time. I'll take C.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:57 PM
RayCE
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

I did the optional steps and I didn't see the pull key message when I started it afterwards. It's raining here today so I didn't drive it. Last thing I need is a melted Corvette.

It's one of those things where success is measured by nothing happening, so I guess time will tell.

Here are the optional steps in case you can't find your copy of the directions.

Thank you very much...
Old 08-24-2014, 02:58 PM
tfrieden
Intermediate

I installed LMC5 last year. Works fine ,except i occassionally get the PULL KEY message. My question is :does this hurt anything cause I dont mind pulling key out every once in a while. I guess i'm just not in that big of hurry that 10 seconds makes too much difference.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
giovanni432
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I purchased the car already with the LMC5 installed. I recently have been getting the pull key message every single time I use the car. Im ready to do this optional method but one thing is stopping me. It says it will work after the lmc5 is installled and if your c5 has the steering column lock relay above the BCM. What exactly does that relay look like? I need to double check to make sure that relay is there.

Get notified of new replies

To Pull Key Wait 10 Sec after installing LMC5

Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM
giovanni432
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What year car are we talking about and is it an automatic or manual trans? Makes a difference. Your profile shows a 98 and 2003. 97 and 98's did NOT have a Column Lock Relay (CLR) from the factory. Lock motor was driven directly by the BCM. Beginning in 1999 GM started installing a CLR between the BCM and the lock motor. From the factory for 99 and 2000 the CLR was a 4 connection relay (SPST) but the GM recall service for manual trans 99 and 2000's replaced the CLR with a 5 connection relay (SPDT) and added a purple wire to the 5th relay connection spliced in from the BCM. The 2001 and newer C5's had the 5 connection relay from the factory.

That all said, the relay you are looking for on a 99 and later C5 will have at least the following 4 wires. 1 white, 1 green and 2 orange. If there is a 5th wire it will be a purple wire.

Would look like the relay in the attached link. The relay in the link is the modified relay set up from a 99 but the concept of what you are looking for applies:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571...-post1030.html
Yes the car im having problems with is the 2003 Z06. I'll do this tomorrow and see if it fixes my problem. Thank you for the help!!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by tfrieden
I installed LMC5 last year. Works fine ,except i occassionally get the PULL KEY message. My question is :does this hurt anything cause I dont mind pulling key out every once in a while. I guess i'm just not in that big of hurry that 10 seconds makes too much difference.
You should not be seeing this message after installing the LMC5. Call Richard at Compliance Parts. He is very helpful and will let you know what you need to do.

http://www.complianceparts.com/
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 AM
CorvetteBob52
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey guys,
I've had my 2003 manual AE coupe for a couple of months now. No problems of any kind with it so far. Spending time on the forums here and reading about the various issues people were having convinced me that I should probably go ahead and install the LMC5 module just for peace of mind. I was not experiencing any issues with the column, just wanted to be proactive.

I ordered it up and installed it yesterday afternoon. I read through the very detailed instructions several times and even watched Rick's YouTube video of the installation process. I'm confident that I installed it correctly. After the installation I took it for a test drive and had no issues.

This morning I drove it to work and parked it. A short time later I got in, started it up and the engine died while I was backing it up. I figured I had just stalled it, so I tried again with the same result. Then I looked down at the DIC and saw "Pull Key Wait 10 sec".

I did as the nice computer instructed and pulled the key, waited 10 seconds after which it started up with no messages and I was able to drive home with no problems.

When I got home I checked for codes (Prior to the install there were no codes). Today I've got:

38-RTD U1000H

40-BCM B2587H
40-BCM B2592H

I've read a few other threads and saw that people do sometimes see the Pull Key message every so often after installing the LMC5. Just wanted to get your collective opinion on the situation and make sure I haven't created the situation I was trying to avoid.

Thanks!

I ihad the LMC5 installed in mine too(6sp) drove it that way for a week with it saying pull key also then I unpluuged the battery and it went away

Quick Reply: Pull Key Wait 10 Sec after installing LMC5