Sponsored by:

Lug Nut Caps

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM
RHWjr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lug Nut Caps

Ever since I bought new tires on my '02, I have been losing the plastic lug nut caps. A few have come off while driving and several others were close to coming off.

The Chevy dealer parts man tells me that when the tires were installed they over tightened the plastic caps and ruined them. I guess this could have happened, but when I first got my Chevy pickup I didn't know they were plastic and I over tightened several before I figured it out. Now I put them on finger tight and every one as stayed on (on the truck).

Is there something I can do to keep the caps from coming loose, or should I just replace all of them?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RHWjr
Ever since I bought new tires on my '02, I have been losing the plastic lug nut caps. A few have come off while driving and several others were close to coming off.

The Chevy dealer parts man tells me that when the tires were installed they over tightened the plastic caps and ruined them. I guess this could have happened, but when I first got my Chevy pickup I didn't know they were plastic and I over tightened several before I figured it out. Now I put them on finger tight and every one as stayed on (on the truck).

Is there something I can do to keep the caps from coming loose, or should I just replace all of them?
Don't even bother- Just buy a set of nice, 1 piece lug nuts like these- They look 100% better- I love mine, and sleep better knowing my caps won't go missing again... Plenty of vendors have them here, and on the 'bay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-C4-C5-Chrome-Lug-Nuts-17-18-Wheels-Rims-NEW-/350339301722?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item5191d9815a&vxp=mtr
...also available in black.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:45 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I lost one, so I bought a few spares for about a buck a piece. Haven't lost any since.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:50 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I tighten hand tight and then just a little bit more (maybe 10°). Never had one come off.

I have had some that the previous owner and/or mechanic had overtightened and split the caps. I put a very small amount of clear RTV on the threads and hand tightened them (although they wouldn't hold hand tight without slipping) so it was just snug. Never lost any of the broken ones either. These were a chrome set of caps, and in the recess of the wheels you can not see that the cap is split.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Fed Up
Don't even bother- Just buy a set of nice, 1 piece lug nuts like these- They look 100% better- I love mine, and sleep better knowing my caps won't go missing again... Plenty of vendors have them here, and on the 'bay...

Corvette C4 C5 Chrome Lug Nuts 17 18 Wheels Rims New | eBay

...also available in black.
They will look much better than the stock plastic caps.

But, I have run the plastic caps before and hand tighten them first, then tighten a little bit more using a socket. Never had one come off or split.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I tighten hand tight and then just a little bit more (maybe 10°). Never had one come off.

I have had some that the previous owner and/or mechanic had overtightened and split the caps. I put a very small amount of clear RTV on the threads and hand tightened them (although they wouldn't hold hand tight without slipping) so it was just snug. Never lost any of the broken ones either. These were a chrome set of caps, and in the recess of the wheels you can not see that the cap is split.

Good luck.

FYI, purchased my chrome caps from West Coast Corvettes.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Throw them away and buy a nice set of 20 chrome nuts for about $25, you'll never have to worry about them again. And, you only have to unscrew 5 nuts per wheel, not 5 caps and 5 nuts. The chrome won't fade in the sun like the plastic ones, either.

Get notified of new replies

To Lug Nut Caps

Quick Reply: Lug Nut Caps