Sponsored by:

Researching new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Researching new tires...

I'm debating between run flats and normal tires to replace the oem goodyears on my '98, 16000 miles.

Would prefer non run flats for the better ride and handling, but don't like being stranded either.

I've looked at a few videos demonstrating the tire plug kits, which looks like a decent emergency fix. However the professional repair shops seem to be universal in condemning them, and say they will refuse to fix a tire that has been plugged.

Another stupid question - I've read here that I need the plug kit, which should include the tools, and a 12v compressor. What about a jack? I assume I need one, I would think it would be very difficult to plug while still on the car.

What about the goop/slime? Does it really work? Does it mess up the sensor?

It would be interesting to hear experiences from people who actually have done emergency roadside repairs.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:20 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Tons of debates on run-flats and non if you search - -it really boils down to a personal risk decision as you've recognized.

I bought the Z06 patch kit for about $60 . . .but then decided I didn't want to fool with a jack, etc due to a recent spinal surgery, so I bought Michelin run flats.

IMO- never use fix-a-flat slime- unless a last resort and plan to replace the sensor.

Run flats are generally double the price of non-runflats but they do ride better.

Lots to consider but no right answer in my view- just what's right for you.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

The new sealer/inflators are sensor safe. It worked great for me. Filled the tire, in a couple minutes I was on my way, got me home, took the tire off and up to the shop where they patched it. Sensor still works like new. No problem. If you drive any distance on a runflat the structural integrity could be gone and you would probably have to replace the tire. That would be expensive. Finding a slow leak in a tire in the middle of the night to put a plug in can be extremely difficult. So go with whatever you are comfortable with.
For me the can of sealer is the way to go even though I carry a jack and plug kit.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:23 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
I'm debating between run flats and normal tires to replace the oem goodyears on my '98, 16000 miles.

Would prefer non run flats for the better ride and handling, but don't like being stranded either.

I've looked at a few videos demonstrating the tire plug kits, which looks like a decent emergency fix. However the professional repair shops seem to be universal in condemning them, and say they will refuse to fix a tire that has been plugged.

Another stupid question - I've read here that I need the plug kit, which should include the tools, and a 12v compressor. What about a jack? I assume I need one, I would think it would be very difficult to plug while still on the car.

What about the goop/slime? Does it really work? Does it mess up the sensor?

It would be interesting to hear experiences from people who actually have done emergency roadside repairs.
Last time I had a punctured runflat, I went to the closest shop I knew had the correct machine for working with runflats.

I was told by that "authorized" runflat seller (ala a Goodyear franchise) it was a self-regulation by "the industry" that runflats would not be repaired at (any) authorized shop -

but -

When I named a local shop about 10 miles farther down the road I knew would repair the tire (they've done it before), I was told that shop was an "independent" thus are free to do whatever they want.

That said....
I use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
drseth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same position as you 3 months ago. While I have AAA Plus, with free towing, if the run flats got a flat, they can't be repaired, whereas the non run-flats can be repaired, as well as offer a better ride and are less expensive to buy.

I got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's, and am very happy with them. I was able to get them for $1000.00 out the door from the local tire shop. The dealership was $300 higher, but does price match, but did not want to have to haggle on price.

The new tires are quiet, ride like butter, and give me great fuel mileage. I don't think you can beat them. I do carry a small 12 volt air compressor, as well as a couple of cans of fix a flat, in case I am in an area without cell phone coverage to call AAA.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S run flats and, because of what I do and where I leave, I get one to two flat every year. For me, run flats are the only way to go. I know that it's a no no but I plug all the flats and have been doing so for the last ten years. 10 minutes and a little air and I'm up and running. The plugs have never given me any problem.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Originally Posted by JR-01
The new sealer/inflators are sensor safe. It worked great for me. Filled the tire, in a couple minutes I was on my way, got me home, took the tire off and up to the shop where they patched it. Sensor still works like new. No problem. If you drive any distance on a runflat the structural integrity could be gone and you would probably have to replace the tire. That would be expensive. Finding a slow leak in a tire in the middle of the night to put a plug in can be extremely difficult. So go with whatever you are comfortable with.
For me the can of sealer is the way to go even though I carry a jack and plug kit.
The sealer would be the easiest emergency repair. Do the new sealers say they are safe for the sensors, or were you just lucky?

My car has the original sensors, they still work. The manual says the have a 10 year life, so I assume they should be replaced. Can the batteries be replaced, or do I have to get new units? If replacing, I want to keep the old ones and see if they can be refurbished.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 PM
chucks
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
Oldtimer

Plugged my run flat and ran on it for years. I don't get it what can happen if you plug it, hell it's a run flat tire.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM
1965markaccount
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

some have replaced the batteries but it looks like a lot of work

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...batteries.html
Old 09-06-2014, 01:48 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Michelin run-flats! The ride is great & IMO just as good as any non run-flat. Goodyear run-flats are terrible and just not be used to as a basis to switch to non run-flats.
They are a little more expensive (check out Tire Rack), but you don't have to think about jacks, plugs, AAA and having your car towed, etc.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:52 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I have never used a run flat tire, I will start with that.

I will tell about my, " in case of flat tire" decision , perhaps the insight might be helpful.

I was running an old JAg, with wire knock offs and tube tires, fully old school and it picked up flats, just like the old days. A couple of times after a long day at work, I came out to a flat tire. I had a spare , but geez, not the first thing I want to do after work.

I mentioned my situation and one of the girls at work said she used spare tire in a can and it worked great in her Toyota pickup for the last two years. I knew she had zero car care skills beyond buying gas, never followed the use suggestions, just put it in and left it. THe real kicker was the amount of time without any follow up on her part, and the fact that she often visited her parents in the high desert, and I knew that road, it's hot and high speed for hours. So I switched and life became easier. I bought a couple of cans for the SUV and the big tires.

THen I got the corvette, which came used on regular inflation tires. KNowing the volume of air needed to inflate, I decided to ditch the canned stuff and go with liquid slime in a bottle and an electric pump. Very compact, fits in the small storage well in the back, with a couple of gloves.

I had a slow leak, my air sensors are out, and it went flat as I drove. I attached the pump that came in the slime flat kit, and found it was weak, a better than nothing design. Put enough air in to hit the gas station where I installed the slime.

Tire function back to normal, except it now has 16 ounces of slime inside. I am supposed to remove and repair but decided to wait for new tires to address that area. Another downside of slime is that it is harmful to chrome.

I figure a performance car rates full performance tires and have little concern about flats, so have no interest in a run flat tire. I did upgrade the pump, got a feisty little piston design with a cloth bag from harbor freight. THe other was a vibrating reed design , like on a fish tank. I don't carry a jack, just a card for assistance and a tow if times get tough.

I think you will be fine however you decide, a lot of fans of both designs post here.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

I'm leaning toward normal tires right now. My brother has a 911 with normal tires and no spare, no issues. He had one flat at home due to construction in the alley across from his garage.

In 17 years with my Tahoe (a 97), I've had 2 punctures. In both cases the object stayed in the tire, so I was able to drive to the mechanic. My spare has never been on the car.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Next stupid question:

Do I have to get the sensors from GM, the place where I buy the tires, or get them myself and bring them to the mechanic when I take the car in? I've read that the pre 2001 C5s use a different and incompatible system. How hard is it to get the correct sensors?

I've read here that some/lots buy their tires online and take them to the mechanic to mount. Living in a Podunk town, I suspect I'll have to do that. Do shops tend to get annoyed at those who want them to mount tires that weren't bought from them?
Old 09-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
Next stupid question:

Do I have to get the sensors from GM, the place where I buy the tires, or get them myself and bring them to the mechanic when I take the car in? I've read that the pre 2001 C5s use a different and incompatible system. How hard is it to get the correct sensors?

I've read here that some/lots buy their tires online and take them to the mechanic to mount. Living in a Podunk town, I suspect I'll have to do that. Do shops tend to get annoyed at those who want them to mount tires that weren't bought from them?
Try Gene at GM Parts House.

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...&siteid=214638
Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I recently took advantage of the closeout on the Hankook V12's non run flats. I will carry a plug kit and pump with me on trips if I get a flat.

I'm one of those who thinks my car is faster when I change the oil so I took my wife to breakfast this morning in the vette to get her opinion.

She said she doesn't hear the highway nearly as much and the mufflers seem tamer for whatever reason, and the radio seemed more clear.

Those were the very same impressions I had. The first drive I took something seemed weird so I turned the radio off and just listened. The car seemed totally different sounding.

They didn't put run flats in the Z06 and I don't see any need for them. If you get a flat you get a flat and it has to be dealt with quickly. By being able to at least plug it, it's better than running down a highway 50 mph until you reach help.

And I have never heard they won't repair a tire that has been plugged. Back in the day when I worked at a tire shop we plugged them and patched them from the inside.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM
obnoxus
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes it can happen,,,, but when was the last time you had a flat tire???
Old 10-19-2014, 12:46 PM
luckstr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drseth
I was in the same position as you 3 months ago. While I have AAA Plus, with free towing, if the run flats got a flat, they can't be repaired, whereas the non run-flats can be repaired, as well as offer a better ride and are less expensive to buy.

I got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's, and am very happy with them. I was able to get them for $1000.00 out the door from the local tire shop. The dealership was $300 higher, but does price match, but did not want to have to haggle on price.

The new tires are quiet, ride like butter, and give me great fuel mileage. I don't think you can beat them. I do carry a small 12 volt air compressor, as well as a couple of cans of fix a flat, in case I am in an area without cell phone coverage to call AAA.
It doesn't matter if you belong to AAA or not (I do). You can call them out but they DON'T repair flats, all they do is take a flat off and replace with a spare (on a car that has a spare). Having said that, I still am going with non-run flats on my next set of tires and will have (IF necessary) AAA flat-bed me to an America's Tires place to repair.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I went with Michelin Pilot A/S 3s. I also have a new can of Slime (and the can is clearly marked as being compatible with tire pressure sensors). There is another version of Slime that does not carry this statement.

I also have a portable air compressor, and a tire patch kit in my 2004 convertible.

There are a number of cars sold these days without spare tires, and without run flats.

My wife's Solstice has a portable air compressor and a can of fix a flat. No jack, no spare, no run flats.

Each of us makes our own decisions on this issue, based on a number of factors.

Get notified of new replies

To Researching new tires...

Quick Reply: Researching new tires...