Sponsored by:

Pesky pop up headlight....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 AM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Pesky pop up headlight....

This morning for the first time after parking and fully turning off lights the driver side popped down and closed as it should normally but then popped back up and stayed up (may not have fully opened, not quite sure as I had to get into work). Turned lights fully on again then fully off twice more and same scenario. I dont think light is illuminated but I better check before too long this morning. Anyone know what could cause this and how to fix? Thanks to any and all advice, Bill.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

First thing you need to do is verify that the white rubber bumpers are in place and in decent shape. The electric motors do not have a switch to tell them when to stop. They rely on the bumpers. Once the headlight mechanism hits the bumpers (up or down), the motor circuitry will sense the motor's increase in resistance and shut off. If the rubber bumpers are missing or badly damaged, the motor may keep running and cause the mechanism to do all sorts of weird things such as go back up. The problem can also be related to the headlight module but start checking the easy things first. Hope this helps.

PS; I am assuming that you do not hear gear noise. If you did, that is a whole different problem.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

We call them bump stops....two on top and two on the bottom. Make sure they have the rubber covers on them. Get back to us.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:18 AM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Originally Posted by Cybermind
First thing you need to do is verify that the white rubber bumpers are in place and in decent shape. The electric motors do not have a switch to tell them when to stop. They rely on the bumpers. Once the headlight mechanism hits the bumpers (up or down), the motor circuitry will sense the motor's increase in resistance and shut off. If the rubber bumpers are missing or badly damaged, the motor may keep running and cause the mechanism to do all sorts of weird things such as go back up. The problem can also be related to the headlight module but start checking the easy things first. Hope this helps.

PS; I am assuming that you do not hear gear noise. If you did, that is a whole different problem.
No, I dont hear gear noise and before I purchased the car last March the passenger side headlight had some sort of problem which I think was gear related and was repaired by a Chevy dealer. Not sure if they checked the driver side. I hope its a bumper like you described or maybe theres a dead mouse lodged in there. If it ends up being the headlight module is that an expensive repair?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VettesGoneWild
No, I dont hear gear noise and before I purchased the car last March the passenger side headlight had some sort of problem which I think was gear related and was repaired by a Chevy dealer. Not sure if they checked the driver side. I hope its a bumper like you described or maybe theres a dead mouse lodged in there. If it ends up being the headlight module is that an expensive repair?
I doubt it's the headlight module because you only have problems with one headlight. You never know but if I had to place a bet, I would bet your bumpstops are screwed or missing. If it does turn out to be a headlight module, I think they are relatively cheap. Actually, you can probably pick a used module from someone who converted to non-popup.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree probably may not be the control module but they do have separate internal logic that separates/splits the output motor control to each headlight. The input to the module is a "single" input but not the output.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:09 PM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

looking at what I believe are the bumpers-white colored, I saw two thumbnail shaped ones and one on the actuator like a pencil erasure size and shape which is pretty much destroyed or worn thru. I'm guessing it may be the problem. My local Chevy dealer printed an exploded parts diagram and looks like #23 and is described as a pin. He said could only order whole assy which would be like a 1000 bucks and suggested I try Eclars or Paragon for perhaps a repair kit.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VettesGoneWild
looking at what I believe are the bumpers-white colored, I saw two thumbnail shaped ones and one on the actuator like a pencil erasure size and shape which is pretty much destroyed or worn thru. I'm guessing it may be the problem. My local Chevy dealer printed an exploded parts diagram and looks like #23 and is described as a pin. He said could only order whole assy which would be like a 1000 bucks and suggested I try Eclars or Paragon for perhaps a repair kit.
Yep. That's probably it. Here yah go.
http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=309
You can pick up a full set of 4 for 11$

Last edited by Cybermind; 09-05-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 PM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Thanks for the link! $11 certainly beats buying the whole assembly...

Get notified of new replies

To Pesky pop up headlight....

Quick Reply: Pesky pop up headlight....