Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help column just locked!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 PM
turnerashley
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help guys will try today and unlock steering wheel and order the lnc5 module tomorrow.what possible scenario could explain why the steering wheel turned freely without the key in the ignition all the time until the service column lock message came up? I thought the car was okay,can anyone elaborate
on this please
Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I could help you out. But I just got the "Service Column Lock" displayed on my damn Vette when getting off of work tonight. Everything is locked up. Going to charge the battery tomorrow and see if that fixes it. If not, I can order everything here:

http://www.complianceparts.com/products.html

And that will fix it? Or do I have to disable that message somehow?

You would think there is a damn recall for this? Worth calling them up with my VIN and perhaps getting it fixed for free? But from the sound of it the dealership doesn't actually fix the problem. :/
Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

02 Z06. Sorry about that simple lack of detail.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Kahuna1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Column Lock Bypass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-97-04-STEERING-COLUMN-LOCK-BYPASS-SIMULATOR-KIT-/130460771234?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e601163a2&vxp=mtr#ht_2794wt_1000$49.00 bucks - remember to remove the K-Harness - I have done this mod on many C5's in AZ - Including Mine - no one has ever had any issues with the ones ive installed.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:44 AM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There was a recall for the Column Lock systems on the C5 and in all likelihood it has been done to your car. If it has not been then feel relieved that the system has not been touched by GM. If it has been done then your best bet is to purchase and install an LMC5. It is a far better option than the CLB mentioned in another post. It's less expensive, doesn't require you to disassemble the drivers side dash and knee bolster, doesn't matter if the symptoms you are experiencing are due to a low battery, a fried K Harness, a fried Column Lock Relay (CLR), a CLR that has gotten wet, whether you have a 99 or 2000 C5 that has had the spliced purple wire and relay mod done as a part of the GM Recall Service that needs to be bypassed for the CLB to work properly, whether some previous owner has bastardized the column lock system because they were too cheap to buy a CLB or LMC5, abandons all the factory and recall wiring and hardware downstream of the BCM so you don't need to know or care what has been previously done to your column lock system etc, etc.

I was a strong believer in the CLB for many years but the LMC5 is a far easier to install solution and has world class service from the device designer/seller. I've see posts by people who incorrectly installed the LMC5 on a holiday weekend and emailed the seller ( Compliance Parts) and got an email and then a call back helping them discover/correct their improper installation.

If your column is locked and cannot be unlocked you may need to purchase the "unlocker" or use the procedure in the following link to get the column unlocked. Don't waste your time with the CLB solution....... LMC5 is a far better solution in every way. JMHO.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=unlock

PS I do not know the owner of Compliance and have no personal interests in the LMC5 and my car has had a CLB installed since 2007. But I do recognize a superior solution. LMC5.
I installed the LMC5 and Richard at Compliance was great to work with.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:47 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Ordered the LMC5 Thursday night. I got the steering wheel unlocked by doing the method of holding down on the right side of the steering wheel like you are making a right hand turn with the key in the ignition just chillin. Not on, "on" or anything, while holding down on the wheel I turned the key to start the car. It worked! Drove it home and just waiting on the LMC5. Won't drive it until I install it.

Recall had not been done on mine either. Steering wheel will move from left lock to right lock with key out if recall has been done.

Thanks for the info 8vette7, good to know I got the right option.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Ordered the LMC5 Thursday night. I got the steering wheel unlocked by doing the method of holding down on the right side of the steering wheel like you are making a right hand turn with the key in the ignition just chillin. Not on, "on" or anything, while holding down on the wheel I turned the key to start the car. It worked! Drove it home and just waiting on the LMC5. Won't drive it until I install it.

Recall had not been done on mine either. Steering wheel will move from left lock to right lock with key out if recall has been done.

Thanks for the info 8vette7, good to know I got the right option.
Take your time and just make sure to follow the directions exactly - don't miss the step up front to pull the fuse before disconnecting the battery to make sure the column is unlocked. Good luck
Old 10-18-2014, 08:36 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Which fuse do you pull? So pulling that fuse will make sure the column is unlocked before unhooking the battery?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:51 PM
frsr06
Drifting

No. 23 - but verify with the directions.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:54 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Which fuse do you pull? So pulling that fuse will make sure the column is unlocked before unhooking the battery?
Please read post #22
Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

GM's recall for 97-00 automatic cars eliminated the CL feature. It was NOT done (removed) for manuals. 01-04 automatics had no CL feature from the factory.

Read the Technical sticky above on CL issues for more info.

Quick Reply: Help column just locked!