Sponsored by:

Help column just locked!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:54 PM
turnerashley
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help column just locked!

I have 2000 automatic corvette column just locked on me.called GM they agreed to find a dealer and tow the car to the facility and implement an "open recall" fix.I asked about the fix, rep said a wire harness kit.I put her off to do some research on the ecl recall issue i came up on this it is a cut and paste
'ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, THE DEALER WILL DISABLE THE STEERING COLUMN LOCK BY REMOVING THE COLUMN LOCK PLATE. WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS REMOVED, THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER WILL LOCK BUT THE STEERING COLUMN WILL NOT LOCK'
what was this rep talking about wire harness?any way im confused in articles, threads etc i've read should i take the dealer fix or try and unlock it myself and install and clb.need advice haven't been on site for almost 2yrs heart issues.thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Read this site and just order the lmc5 and the lmc5 column unlock kit and never mind the dealership. This will run you $50 and never have the problem again!:
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5unlocker.html
Old 09-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

You've been a member since 2003 and still let this happen?
Old 09-06-2014, 04:02 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
You've been a member since 2003 and still let this happen?
Old 09-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Donutz
Read this site and just order the lmc5 and the lmc5 column unlock kit and never mind the dealership. This will run you $50 and never have the problem again!:
Do this. I would not let the dealer attempt to fix this issue.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What is wrong with removing the lock plate? I have a manual, I'm wondering if I can remove the lock plate as a solution.

This doesn't address the 2 mph fuel shutoff, but to my knowledge, none of the recalls have ever been performed, so it shouldn't have the fuel shutoff. Mine is a 98.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Far easier to get an LMC5 for around $40 and totally disable the lock motor and replace its related signalling function back to the BCM than to take apart the column and cut down the lock plate......
Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Donutz

I have installed the LMC5. Better solution than the CLB which I have had in previous C5's. DO NOT let the dealer touch your Corvette. Get it back immediately.
All you need to do is turn your steering wheel back and forth forcefully a few times and it should unlock. Then drive it home and install an LMC5.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Don't let the dealer touch it!!!! They will empty your wallet and not fix your problem.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

OP, I suggest you listen to those above who have suggested installing the LMC5 (especially 8VETTE7, he knows better than anyone here on this subject). Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let the dealer get their hands on your Vette and try to fix this issue. Their way won't get it fixed.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
yanmar
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default column lock

these gentleman are giving you good information, install the lmc5 and forget the dealer...........been there done that
Old 09-06-2014, 08:52 PM
turnerashley
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert

I have installed the LMC5. Better solution than the CLB which I have had in previous C5's. DO NOT let the dealer touch your Corvette. Get it back immediately.
All you need to do is turn your steering wheel back and forth forcefully a few times and it should unlock. Then drive it home and install an LMC5.
thanks guys for the help, yes a member since 2003 and i let this happen lots of health problems.barely even drive the car but im happy to even be on the greatest corvette forum on the web i'm disabled and thank the lord im still here.i read until my eyes bleed.can somebody give me a theory on this car, started throwing the column lock message i thought it may be my battery or key pellet cause with the key out of the ignition the steering wheel turned freely plus per codes from dic pcm 1571, hvac b0446,tcs 1277,rtd c0710,bcm 2723,all current.charged battery, did the wheel turning procedure the wheel unlocked it stayed unlocked for a couple of days,then the wheel locked again did the battery and wheel motion again it unlocked.it locked again the next day.i did the "reset procedure" with taking out the fuse 23,and 25 it unlocked again,stayed unlocked for couple of days then locked again.tried both procedures wouldn't unlock could not reset the bcm code 2723 tryed fuse 23,25 blank dic wouldn't unlock or reset bcm code left battery out for 24 hrs still no reset or rocking steering wheel will unlock it any suggestions dont want dealer to touch it.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
97C5Rebel
Heel & Toe

Does this problem exist on a 1997 Vette w/auto trans? Just bought the Vette and need to look into this if it does.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 09:18 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C5Rebel
Does this problem exist on a 1997 Vette w/auto trans? Just bought the Vette and need to look into this if it does.

Thanks
Yes, this is a problem with all 1997 - 2000 Vettes with either trans. 2001 - 2004 Vettes with manual trans.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Just install the LMC5 and never worry again: http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5install.html
Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 AM
j.grif
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is, my steering wheel does not lock on my 99 m6, if the dealer installed the k harness will the LMC-5 work or does the installation of the LMC-5 bypass the k harness, I pulled the panel in the passenger foot well and did not find anything that looked like an LMC-5 install?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:34 AM
j.grif
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LMC5 abandons all the factory and Recall wiring and components. Doesn't matter what the recall service did or whether you have a CLB installed by a previous owner. It all is disconnected when the LMC5 is installed without knowing what is actually downstream of the BCM.
Thankyou, I will order an LMC-5 this week and install!

Get notified of new replies

To Help column just locked!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is my writeup on the LMC5

I consider the LMC5 to be the best Column Lock problem permanent fix out there. It also does not require you to “undo” any previous CL attempts to resolve this issue. Their eBay ads have a good video that shows the install at the BCM. It does not cover everything in the written instructions. So, read the instructions and also here is some extra info. In some cases, the BCM timing is off just enough to cause some issues. They make several versions and they can swap out/provide one of these if you have any issues. Their customer support is as good as it gets.

Not uncommon for people to "put the column in a pre-lock condition" and not know it and then start with the install. In other words, they started with the column lock “energized’ even if it was not actually locked yet. If not actually locked yet, it will be as soon as you turn the steering wheel after the LMC5 install. It will then remain in the locked condition until you cause the motor to unlock. It will then remain in the unlocked condition since the motor is then unpowered with the circuits disconnected.

Here is one way to prevent that if your column locks and unlocks normally:

If the CL is functioning normally you don't not need the Unlocker, merely turn the ignition ON, pull fuse #23, turn ignition OFF, turn the steering wheel (left and right) and verify it is unlocked. Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal, re-insert fuse #23 and continue with the install.

Compliance Parts website: http://complianceparts.com/index.html
Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM
turnerashley
Heel & Toe

You either have a bad battery or a parasitic current drain that takes the battery down after you charge it. Pull the battery and have it load tested. I suspect the battery itself is probably bad.

thanks guys will order

A battery with a full charge and the procedure described in the following link will get the column unlocked:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=unlock

Do NOT be afraid to use some arm strength to get the column unlocked with this procedure.

I would have the LMC5 ready to install when you next get the column unlocked. THe column MUST be unlocked to install the LMC5 properly.

Once the LMC5 is installed you need to check to see if there is a current drain that takes the battery down. If there is a current drain, post back if you need help finding it. There are links on the Forum with details of the most likely causes and the procedure you should follow to isolate the cause.
thanks for the help will try today and unlock steering wheel and order the lnc5 module tomorrow.what possible scenario could explain why the steering wheel turned freely without the key in the ignition all the time until the service column lock message came up
Old 09-07-2014, 06:10 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

You cannot "remove" the lock plate. The plate serves other functions beside the lock plate. You can cut the outer diameter down so that the lock detents are gone and the column no longer locks. However there is MORE than a little work to take apart the steering column to be able to remove the lock plate to cut it down and reinstall.

That's what I did..........

Quick Reply: Help column just locked!