My first Vette!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:53 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default My first Vette!!

Hello all,

Well – she’s home (please see avatar for a pic). Flew to Texas on Monday and drove home getting back late last night. 1250 miles…gave me a good time to feel it out as this is my first Vette.

Clean…had only a few chips (VERY small), and no visible dents at all. Interior was pretty much flawless except for some seat issues (see below). Found a spot under the passenger rocker where it had been scraped going over something and the fiberglass was a little damaged…but you can’t see it really. I’m surprised my wife found it because I never would have. At least it won’t rust!! 85K miles but it ran great!!

Thanks to the members that developed the Corvette Buyer’s List posted here…the checklist really helped (especially the part about looking for acid from battery leaks).

Like I said, this is my first Vette. Got a few questions/observations that I’d really appreciate everybody’s feedback on:

1. Road noise. I know that a Vette isn’t a Tahoe by any means…but it was pretty noisy on certain types of pavement, that’s for sure. Tires were fairly new Michelins all around. Is this just the nature of the beast? I mean…it doesn’t bother me at all, but my wife said it was too loud.

2. Glass top looks hazy. Any quick fix? Would that headlamp lens liquid polish do any good? Or would I have to get it professionally buffed and polished?

3. This one was weird…when I test drove it there were no major sounds that had me concerned (creaks, squeaks, etc.). After I signed the papers and got it down the road, I noticed a persistent chirping sound that appeared to be coming from the passenger front. I thought maybe it was just a shock squeaking…I mean, it IS a 12 year old car, right? Anyways, the more I investigated it this is what the deal is:

--Does NOT happen when car is running but not moving
--Does NOT get worse when accelerating or better when decelerating
--Was happening the minute the car started moving. Stop moving, squeaks stopped.
--Could hear it slightly over road noise as I was going down the expressway
--It is VERY intermittent. Got up Tuesday morning and it didn’t do it at all. Started doing it again…but by mid-day it quit. Didn’t do it for the rest of the night or at all today.
--Lifted the hood but didn’t see anything obvious.

Any ideas what it could be? I’m tempted to not worry about it unless it rears its’ head again…

4. I read about putting Techron in and using premium top tier gas only, and I did just that. How often does the Techron need to be put in? Every fill up? Every other fill up?

5. Pulled the codes and found five historical ones. All were for door and seat issues, and they all related to “horizontal or vertical position” faults. Checked again when I got home and no new codes during the trip. Doors and seats work fine, so I cleared them out; like I said, they were historical anyways.

6. My winter project will be to pull the driver’s seat and do some repairs I couldn’t get the dealer to cough up on. Will be taking the seat cover off and getting a seam fixed. It also looks like somebody at some point was pretty much throwing themselves down when they were getting in. The plastic piece that holds all of the power switches seems to be broken down. Not a huge deal as everything still works…more cosmetic than anything. Are these types of parts easy to find?

7. Didn't see any evidence of battery leaks, but it DID have what looked like a pretty new AC-Delco side post battery. Should I worry about replacing it?

I appreciated everyone’s input and help during this process. It is (was!!) a life-long dream to own a white/black C5…and I’m finally there!

One last question – am I the only one that thinks the C5 just LOOKS better than the C6 or even the C7? I mean…those ARE nice, but man – the C5 just looks so much better – especially in the rear end.

Thanks again, guys!!!

Jerry
Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Death Dream
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratz! That is a long way to travel for a corvette with those miles.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by Death Dream
85k? Yeah...probably. I don't plan on putting much more than 3-4k a year on it anyways, though.

Heck, both of my daily drivers have more miles on it!!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:13 PM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the fun house.

Can't suggest solutions for most of your issues, they all seem pretty minor though. I will say road noise is an issue in all Vettes I think. A lot depends on the tires you run. My '98 coupe with Goodyear run flats was a lot louder than my '01 vert with Michelin run flats. Everyone says that non-run flats are quieter still and my guess would be the Michelin's are probably one of the quietest but at a premium price.

For your seat issue with the broken plastic piece, I had the same problem in my '98 and got a new replacement from GM Parts House (a forum vendor @ www.gmpartshouse.com) for about $20 shipped.

Finally, I too think the C5 is a great looking car. I have avoided the C6 as I like the interior of the C5 better but all the new bells and whistles on the C7 would be awfully tempting if only I could afford it.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:24 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by jjaaam
Hello all,

Well – she’s home (please see avatar for a pic). Flew to Texas on Monday and drove home getting back late last night. 1250 miles…gave me a good time to feel it out as this is my first Vette.

Clean…had only a few chips (VERY small), and no visible dents at all. Interior was pretty much flawless except for some seat issues (see below). Found a spot under the passenger rocker where it had been scraped going over something and the fiberglass was a little damaged…but you can’t see it really. I’m surprised my wife found it because I never would have. At least it won’t rust!! 85K miles but it ran great!!

Thanks to the members that developed the Corvette Buyer’s List posted here…the checklist really helped (especially the part about looking for acid from battery leaks).

Like I said, this is my first Vette. Got a few questions/observations that I’d really appreciate everybody’s feedback on:

1. Road noise. I know that a Vette isn’t a Tahoe by any means…but it was pretty noisy on certain types of pavement, that’s for sure. Tires were fairly new Michelins all around. Is this just the nature of the beast? I mean…it doesn’t bother me at all, but my wife said it was too loud. Nature of the beast if they are run flats. Many members to include myself have went to non run flats for this very reason

2. Glass top looks hazy. Any quick fix? Would that headlamp lens liquid polish do any good? Or would I have to get it professionally buffed and polished? Can't help, I have a hardtop

3. This one was weird…when I test drove it there were no major sounds that had me concerned (creaks, squeaks, etc.). After I signed the papers and got it down the road, I noticed a persistent chirping sound that appeared to be coming from the passenger front. I thought maybe it was just a shock squeaking…I mean, it IS a 12 year old car, right? Anyways, the more I investigated it this is what the deal is: Check your drive and AC belt, it's common, put a gatorback belt on it, if it's the belt or worn pulley this will stop it, if not it could be a pulley bearing. But try the belt first. They are cheap and probably needs replaced anyway. Spray the belt down with belt conditioner, if the squeak goes away it was your belt.

--Was happening the minute the car started moving. Stop moving, squeaks stopped.
--It is VERY intermittent. Got up Tuesday morning and it didn’t do it at all. Started doing it again…but by mid-day it quit. Didn’t do it for the rest of the night or at all today.
--Lifted the hood but didn’t see anything obvious.

Any ideas what it could be? I’m tempted to not worry about it unless it rears its’ head again…

4. I read about putting Techron in and using premium top tier gas only, and I did just that. How often does the Techron need to be put in? Every fill up? Every other fill up? I put it in mine a couple times a year, some do it more often

5. Pulled the codes and found five historical ones. All were for door and seat issues, and they all related to “horizontal or vertical position” faults. Checked again when I got home and no new codes during the trip. Doors and seats work fine, so I cleared them out; like I said, they were historical anyways.

6. My winter project will be to pull the driver’s seat and do some repairs I couldn’t get the dealer to cough up on. Will be taking the seat cover off and getting a seam fixed. It also looks like somebody at some point was pretty much throwing themselves down when they were getting in. The plastic piece that holds all of the power switches seems to be broken down. Not a huge deal as everything still works…more cosmetic than anything. Are these types of parts easy to find?

7. Didn't see any evidence of battery leaks, but it DID have what looked like a pretty new AC-Delco side post battery. Should I worry about replacing it? Have it checked out, Autozone will do it for free

I appreciated everyone’s input and help during this process. It is (was!!) a life-long dream to own a white/black C5…and I’m finally there!

One last question – am I the only one that thinks the C5 just LOOKS better than the C6 or even the C7? I mean…those ARE nice, but man – the C5 just looks so much better – especially in the rear end.

Thanks again, guys!!!

Jerry
You are not the only one who thinks the C5 is the best looking. Many C5 owners think that way. It's all personal preference.

Most of the guys/gals here know more than I but this should get you started while we wait the cavalry.

Congrats!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:26 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

I see you said the belt does not squeak when the car is running, just when moving, sounds like possibly a shock or in the worst case it could be a bearing. But I doubt it.

Give it some gas and see if it does it when running. Sometimes at idle they won't squeak.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I see you said the belt does not squeak when the car is running, just when moving, sounds like possibly a shock or in the worst case it could be a bearing. But I doubt it.

Give it some gas and see if it does it when running. Sometimes at idle they won't squeak.
"3. This one was weird…when I test drove it there were no major sounds that had me concerned (creaks, squeaks, etc.). After I signed the papers and got it down the road, I noticed a persistent chirping sound that appeared to be coming from the passenger front. I thought maybe it was just a shock squeaking…I mean, it IS a 12 year old car, right? Anyways, the more I investigated it this is what the deal is: Check your drive and AC belt, it's common, put a gatorback belt on it, if it's the belt or worn pulley this will stop it, if not it could be a pulley bearing. But try the belt first. They are cheap and probably needs replaced anyway. Spray the belt down with belt conditioner, if the squeak goes away it was your belt.

--Lifted the hood but didn’t see anything obvious."

With the vehicle running and in park it did nothing at all. The minute I put it in gear and moved ever so slowly in the parking lot I heard it...then I stopped (hit the brake), and IT stopped.

I can't duplicate it, and it hasn't happened again. If it was a belt or a pulley bearing wouldn't it be constant?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

There is a fellow who sells boards custom fit to the C5 that protect the passenger compartment from noise emanating from the rear wheels and travelling through the storage area in back. I believe his monniker at EBay is snakeskinner or some such. A search on this C5 forum will uncover lots of advice on reducing the noise.

Congrats on your purchase, you'll have a blast.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

I don't want to start suggesting things that may be causing your chirp because there are so many things that it could be. Anything from a Harmonic balancer to a simple belt or pulley etc.

If the problem persists do your best to try and pin point the location and then come back and ask for help.

Also get familiar with the search function here and when you are, search for 'chirp" or "squeal" and start reading. There are tons of threads on this issue and just as many solutions to the problem. Some simple, some major.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM
01magnetic01
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new (to you) Corvette.....you'll love it.

These cars have little to no interior sound insulation, there are a couple of vendors here that will sell you a pre-cut heat/sound barrier that is relatively easy to install (believe me, if I can do it anybody can) and definitely makes the interior feel (tighter)....you can do it when you pull the drivers seat for the fix....just keep going.

The sound barrier that Koufax mentioned is a good one too.

As far as the sound goes on the front passenger side, I would guess front wheel bearing if it only happens when the car is moving...but that's just a guess.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Death Dream
NO, it is not !

There are many many C5 Corvettes running around, as daily drivers, with 2 and 300,000 miles and more.
85,000 miles, if the car was cared for and serviced properly, is nothing for C5!!!

Don
Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Good for you!! And I completely agree about how the C5 stacks up aesthetically to the C6 and C7.

You're going to love it....I know that after 6.5 years with mine, I'm still infatuated with her.

So....the squeaking doesn't seem to be engine or belt related. What about brakes? Jack up that wheel and give it a spin or have someone drive next to you with their window open, maybe that will localize it better. But that won't matter if it doesn't change with road speed or increase in frequency.

A bearing will rumble more than possibly squeak.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Have fun....drive it with respect and learn it before you push it!!

Congrats!!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:20 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Congrats and Welcome to the C5 Family !
I'm not gonna rehash every single comment but a few were made as far as the squeak is concerned. Try to pinpoint where it's coming from. It will rule out a lot of suggestions.

Transparent Top- You can try the available products used for headlight lenses..if the haze is really bad a Pro may be needed if you don't have the experience with polishing compounds and a buffer.

Interior noise: Pre-Cut kits are sold here from various vendors and perform very well. If you are a Do-It Yourself-er you can gut the interior and use a product called Frost King AC Duct wrap. A self adhesive, foil faced, 1/4 inch thick foam that you can cut and fit inside the car. A lot of us have done it with great results not only in interior noise reduction but keeping the interior a little cooler as well. If you haven't noticed it already from your ride home that Torque Tube Tunnel area gets HOT !

I have always loved Corvettes, didn't matter what Gen they are but the C5 does get my vote as #1 in design....damn thing looks like its flying even when standing still !
Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In the back you have three compartments, stuff them with towels to deaden the sound coming from the rear. It worked on my vette.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

AC-Delco side post battery

Check to see if it has the correct "reserve capacity" for your new vette.

This is important.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on a beautiful new car. The chirping can be caused by several things, but since it only does this when moving, I am going to guess and say right rear wheel bearing. Seems to be the first one to go and had to be replaced on my '03 before I picked it up. Just my opinion though, so please let us know what it turns out to be.

Stu

Get notified of new replies

To My first Vette!!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 PM
kirt70camaro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I just bought my first vette (98) and live right next door in Davison. Just picked it up last Friday. Good luck and enjoy it.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by kirt70camaro
Funny I just bought my first vette (98) and live right next door in Davison. Just picked it up last Friday. Good luck and enjoy it.
Awesome!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have in the last two days...
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and enjoy the new to you C5

Quick Reply: My first Vette!!