Sponsored by:

turn signal switch works occasionaly

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 PM
daveric
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal switch works occasionaly

My turn signal switch works occasionally Cruise control works, low and high beams work I have heard to fix replace the Hazard switch. Or is there a step by step instruction to replace the turn signal lever if that is the true cause of the turn signal work every now and then 2000 c5 coupe
Old 09-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

If you push the hazard switch several times in a row do the turn signals return to normal operation? On my car, I can push the hazard switch several times and the turn signals will work for awhile, then go back to non-operation. I have a new hazard button but haven't bad the time to install it yet.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...75097201,d.eXY
Old 09-11-2014, 04:08 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ermittent.html
Old 09-11-2014, 04:08 PM
daveric
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
If you push the hazard switch several times in a row do the turn signals return to normal operation? On my car, I can push the hazard switch several times and the turn signals will work for awhile, then go back to non-operation. I have a new hazard button but haven't bad the time to install it yet.
thanks for the feedback I will try that
Old 09-11-2014, 04:13 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I STILL need to install my hyper flash harness.

If I push slightly on the lower left corner of the hazard button, it will often work.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:23 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I can gently bump the dash directly above the haz switch or cycle haz switch and mine works for a while
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is some info for you with regard to what is wrong and also hazard switch options.

If you have a "locked in turn signal problem"

Turning on the Hazards does feed the internal Flasher from a different source and therefore changes switch contacts. The turn signal contacts are normally the problem and not the actual internal Flasher..

If you have problems with the left and right turn signals it should be the Hazard switch. A good way to test for this is to put on the Hazards so the fronts and backs are flashing. While they are flashing, turn on the left turn signals and see if the back rear lefts are working correctly and flashing. Next try the right rears. Forget about the fronts since that don't go thru the column Multifunction turn signal switches for this test.

If you get good flashing during this test it should demonstrate the Hazard switch is your issue. PM me with your phone number for any questions. I have worked on dozens of these issues.

Big picture: If you have issues with the left and right turn signals it is most likely the Hazard switch.

If you find out the Multifunction is the problem I can provide info on that, just let me know. Otherwise here is info on Hazard switch fix options.

There are 4 ways to fix a turn signal Hazard switch issue.

1. Remove the console and radio surround bezel and remove and replace the Hazard switch. Cost about $25 for a new switch and can be done in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Very easy to do, not hard or really complicated.

After removing the console and radio bezel you need to remove the radio. If you look at your replacement switch you will see the 2 green tabs on the top and bottom that lock it in place. You will be able to see the lower one when the radio is removed. Push up on the lower tab with a screwdriver while pressing in on the lower part of the switch and you can release the lower tab. Now the switch should be angled up on the end where the wiring connects. Now take a large flat bladed screw driver and place it at the top of the switch. Give the screwdriver a swift rap with a hammer. DON’T overdo it, just a reasonable hard hit and the switch will just pop out.

How to remove the console and bezel for access to the radio:
http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

2. Buy a Hyperflash unit for about $65 and install it under the dash. Just requires removing the Knee bolster. About a 1/2 hour job.

3. Buy a used wiring harness that goes from the steering column to the hazard switch. Remove the knee bolster and unplug the existing one and install the replacement. Then install the new Hazard switch on the other end and just place it under the ignition switch where you can access it if you ever need Hazards. Dash will look stock since the old bad switch is still there. Cost is 25$ for switch and about 25$ for used harness. Takes the same time as installing a Hyperflash unit.

Here is info on the wiring harness:

GM P/N 12163776
http://www.corvetterecycling.com/product-p/233776.htm

4. Lastly, this is what I did. A relocation similar to #3 but I used the process in #1 to move the existing wiring harness to beneath the ignition switch where I placed a new Hazard switch. I then reinstalled the old Hazard switch in the dash for a stock appearance.

Here is a link for relocation:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...elocation.html

Get notified of new replies

To turn signal switch works occasionaly

Quick Reply: turn signal switch works occasionaly