Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm shocked

Poor judging at a car show
Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 AM
mark03c5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad judging at car show

Yea I understand every response here and really appreciate it.it really didn't bother me I didn't win anything like other said maybe the judges didn't like modes which that must have been the case.Either that they are jealous that they don't have a nice car like that so they give it to the plan jane.I really do this for my 11 year old son he loves racing an nice cars.i love to see his eyes light up up if we win.we have won here the last two times getting a first place and second.maybe it's time for others to win.I understand fully.i still like to show my car off and will continue to go and make improvements just a learning curve here.I do take it serious to have my car clean even the engine department.even the frame as no dust on it and ever hose is wipe clean.hey there is always next year and I'm coming back.i did have a lot of people that comment on my car an even say it look nice that the one in my opinion that should have won a first but he did not even get a third.but again it's every body opinion.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 10:30 AM
mark03c5
Instructor

Originally Posted by mark03c5
Yea I understand every response here and really appreciate it.it really didn't bother me I didn't win anything like other said maybe the judges didn't like modes which that must have been the case.Either that they are jealous that they don't have a nice car like that so they give it to the plan jane.I really do this for my 11 year old son he loves racing an nice cars.i love to see his eyes light up up if we win.we have won here the last two times getting a first place and second.maybe it's time for others to win.I understand fully.i still like to show my car off and will continue to go and make improvements just a learning curve here.I do take it serious to have my car clean even the engine department.even the frame as no dust on it and ever hose is wipe clean.hey there is always next year and I'm coming back.i did have a lot of people that comment on my car an even say it look nice that the one in my opinion that should have won a first but he did not even get a third.but again it's every body opinion.
here some pics I really have trouble with multiple pics
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 AM
mark03c5
Instructor

Default More engine modes to come next

here pic of engine bay

here some pics I really have trouble with multiple pics
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 AM
mark03c5
Instructor

here pic of engine bay
I think mr bill hit it on the nail.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Learned this truth when attending car shows hosted by a club. Imagine that, only the club members cars ever win.

You know you have a nice car so enjoy it and just have fun. Trophy's just collect dust.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

OP- Like you said enjoy the time with your son. The loss can also be a good learning experience for him as well.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:55 AM
mark03c5
Instructor

Originally Posted by MG RED 99
Learned this truth when attending car shows hosted by a club. Imagine that, only the club members cars ever win.

You know you have a nice car so enjoy it and just have fun. Trophy's just collect dust.
But in this car show club members can't show.just judges that really don't know what a nice car looks like.maybe it's a friend an buddy thing.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Until recently I owned a street rod '37 Chevy that I built, mostly myself, other than some radical mods beyond my abilities. I spent a lot of money on it and was rewarded by having it featured in 4 rod magazines, including Hot Rod, which is the holy grail of having your car featured. I am telling you all this not to brag, but to make a point. I have participated in several car shows where people made disparaging remarks about my car specifically because it is a "magazine car." To the point that even though I paid the same entry fee as everyone else, it was implied to me that my car wouldn't be judged because of its stature. How screwed up is that? I also entered a show where I had won first place the year before, and at the end of the day when it was trophy time I mentioned that no one had even looked at my car. They told me I wasn't being judged because I had won last year. But they happily took my entry fee. Several times when I left shows at the end of a day, even if with a trophy, I've thought to myself what a waste of a perfectly good day when I could have been driving my car instead. It got to the point that the further away the show was the more interested I was because the drive was more important than sitting. My point is drive instead of show, it's a lot more fun, especially when someone says "Wow, you've drove that all the way here!" Besides,trophies just get collect dust and you don't even look at them again. One of the best times I had with my car was when I drove to Florida from NJ in it by myself in one day to pick up my father down there and go to a rod run in Tampa. Go to a show and expect nothing and you'll be much happier.

BTW, I once went to a show where they had the usual classes. I found out later that even though it was being judged, the criteria was how clean the car was, nothing else mattered. So if you had a brand new car off the showroom you had the best chance to win, even if you did absolutely nothing to it.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

15 years ago I had the first PT Cruiser customer delivered in my state and went to a PT cruiser show months later where over 500 of them showed up. I drove over 500 miles to Niagara Falls and my car was full of road bugs and beer cans when I arrived and entered it. Since the car was assembled in Mexico I refered to it as my TACO BURNER and wrote that on the back window with white shoe polish. I handed out 300 Jello Shots near my car. I was very suprized to go home with a trophy - second place - best of stock class. There were many judges but the all rembered the Taco Burner.
Sold my 81 Vette after I got that car but went back to another vette for obvious reasons.
The guys clearing their white lettered tires with Q-tips were pissed
Old 09-14-2014, 11:26 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Know the rules... Car shows are for the friends of the judges.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:09 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by oldC5
You my friend just learned a valuable lesson. Car shows are like wrestling they know the winners before hand .I have won my fair share of car shows and lost many more.I just go to see the bad azz cars and make new friends . Life is to short to get upset .

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Perhaps it is just me, but I think the point the OP was trying to make was that a dirty stock car should not have won against a presumably tastefully modded car. Now I don't know this car's guy or the the other guy who he stated also could have won. Some mods simply ruin a car and stock does look better. Just because you spent money on aftermarket stuff doesn't entitle you to a trophy. I get all that. But at some point you need to question how the judge got nominated to do the job. They should be car guys who understand modifications and can be impartial and respect what people have done.

Maybe we need to see a picture of the OPs car? My opinion as a spectator of a car show...if I see stock Modern era cars, I usually keep walking. Why do I want to stop and look at something that is seen all the time on the street? However if it is an older 70's and before era car, I expect to see both stock and modified and can appreciate the effort that went into preserving or restoring something like that to stock conditions (even a survivor or barn fresh would garner more attention from me). Like I said I get it that not everyone is there to win an award and it is just for fun. But I'd be upset too if a stock C5 beat me.

I purchased my bone stock C5 vert new in 2004 so over the years, I have slowly made "improvements" to my car that I feel pick up where GM left off. I have personalized my car to my liking and this car that I drive home after every show is my real trophy.

However, I have learned a few things over the years of attending Corvette and mixed car shows. First, go for the enjoyment of meeting other Corvette and automotive enthusiasts. Know that with any crowd, you are going to have a few guys who take competing way too seriously. I have seen grown men literally throw tantrums in front of me and in front of judges, etc., and I really felt embarrassed for them. There is nothing worse IMO than a grown man acting like an 8 year-old spoiled brat who will take his toys and go home if he doesn't get his way. Grow the hell up! Second, when I first started attending shows, I went as an eager learner new to the Corvette community and I have now grown into a mentor from a personalization/modification perspective. The same questions I used to ask are now being asked to me, so I feel this is my way of helping and paying it forward. At my last show, I literally had three guys taking notes as to wheel specs, sizing and mod vendors. Third, I spoke with a judge couple years ago and asked him how do they possibly choose the best cars in each class with so many beautiful, well-maintained Corvettes and he told me a big influence is the owner so it's a good idea to be next to your car when it's being judged so that they can place a person and face with the car. They may ask questions or just simply appreciate an introduction. Like anything else, your selling yourself. That was probably my biggest mistake when I first started to enter shows. I would park my car and walk around only to come back and see the sticker that my car had already been judged.

We all know that shows are weighed to Corvette clubs who simply outnumber everyone else, that's why I always try to enter my car under "judged" vs. "participant choice". That way at least I feel I have a fighting chance vs. a popular club car.

So far I have only entered six Corvette-only shows since owning my C5. Interestingly, I have placed in my last four shows and I have to give the credit to my CCW wheels. Ever since I mounted them two years ago, they tend to really pull in the judges and other participants and they are the #1 mod I'm asked about, followed by my Caravaggio spoiler. Then, when the judges and participants get closer, they see the custom interior, the engine bay, the upgraded brakes, exhaust, HID/LED lights, etc.

Good luck, keep the car clean and enjoy the event. If you take home a $25 piece of glass, wood or plastic, the better!

Last edited by MSG C5; 09-14-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:34 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

That's why I only go to cruise nights.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Very few people know how to judge at a car show, even fewer know how to prepare a car for judging for a specific car show. Our club publishes the criteria being used for judging, every one has the opportunity to read and comply. Club members are now judged separately from non members. some folks spend three days and three hundred dollars having their cars prepped and ignore the published criteria, they usually lose.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:46 PM
usmc210
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen a car show that was judge fairly. I lost an import car show last month, best classic car went to an 80s land yacht with 22" chrome wheels over my 1969 Datsun 510. How is that even possible.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:51 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Phanni
Very few people know how to judge at a car show, even fewer know how to prepare a car for judging for a specific car show. Our club publishes the criteria being used for judging, every one has the opportunity to read and comply. Club members are now judged separately from non members. some folks spend three days and three hundred dollars having their cars prepped and ignore the published criteria, they usually lose.
These are usually the same guys who cause the major fuss. For our show, we don't allow our own members to enter their cars but we park our cars outside leading up to the entrance.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

maybe you needed the wagon behind it or that little doll in the corner and needed to be more tacky that seems to win. I'm not old as dust so I don't attend those things but they do make me laugh when I'm passing by

Get notified of new replies

To Bad judging at car show

Old 09-14-2014, 09:00 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
That's kind of odd, I don't think I've ever heard a car show participant disagree with the judges before.

I'm notifying Autoweek, Car & Driver and Hemmings of this travesty - they'll have investigative reporters all over this. Do you think calling 60 Minutes is too much ???
Old 09-14-2014, 09:17 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I spent a couple of years representing our club (when I was a member of a club) by campaigning my car two or three times a month at local shows. I burned out on the show circuit and now I attend very few as a participant. When I do attend as a participant I tell the judges to save their time and not judge my car. I enjoy lookimg at all the cars and talking with their owners.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I received a PM form one person asking for more detailed information about preparing for a car show.
Here is my reply to him.

I suggest you talk to the group sponsoring the show and verify their own criteria for judging. If it's a car club, their rules may be completely different than another group. The National Council of Corvette clubs has a rule book to cover their sanctioned shows as does the Bloomington Gold and National Corvette Restoration society. Each is looking for a different set of criteria. Local car clubs are a different nut to crack as they set their own rules. Other poster here are correct when they say some shows do show favoritism towards certain owners. There is no way to overcome that without becoming one of their cronies. Some clubs look for originality while others may prefer 'bling'.

Remember most shows are run to create revenue for the club or group. Often classes are
'adjusted to fit the number of trophies purchased. For instance there may be one class for all pre 1967 cars (usually fewer cars) and up to three classes for C-6's where there will be many more participants.

Steve

Quick Reply: Bad judging at car show