Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad judging at car show

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM
nwolkonsky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said! Our club has a different club come in and judge our cars since our entry's raise money as well.

Originally Posted by MSG C5
That may be true from some shows but not for all. The show our club sponsors (Corvettes on the Circle-St. Armands Fl) has both participants choice and show favorite awards. Our club members are not allowed to enter our cars or vote so it's up to those people participating and attending the show.

With that said, there is some simple math involved. If 50 of the 200 cars registered belong to one club, chances are they will take home a trophy. Where it gets crazy is when five classic trailer queens all show up and are all in the same class. That's why we've experimented with special trophies such as "longest trip to the show", etc. to try and make it a fun event.

All our proceeds go to a local charity and the food/refreshments are sponsored by a local Chevrolet dealership who in return gets to display a few new models (Corvettes/Camaros).

I enjoy working the show and helping coordinate the event, however I told the other guys that I want nothing to do with the judging. There are just way too many, beautiful and well-kept Corvettes in Florida and someone always feels cheated out. We do our best to make sure no club compares ballots, however it's pretty easy to plan it out in advance if it's that important to them. However, I think most Corvette owners are subjective.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I go to shows for three reasons and three reasons only. Anyone who does not should find another hobby because this one will disappoint.

1. Help charity - every show I go to is for a charity I support
2. Meet other car guys - Owning a street rod is pointless if you can't hang out with others who share the passion
3. See other cool cars - it's all about the cars, except for the part about charity

I leave every show happy with the results.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:06 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I go to shows for three reasons and three reasons only. Anyone who does not should find another hobby because this one will disappoint.

2. Meet other car guys - Owning a street rod is pointless if you can't hang out with others who share the passion
3. See other cool cars - it's all about the cars, except for the part about charity

If you drive away from every show with the attitude that you're already driving home your "trophy" you're well ahead of the game. Especially if you compare your ride to the majority of vehicles on the road!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Mickster144
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to cry! That is soooo touching.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Wolfe
I think I'm going to cry! That is soooo touching.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

This is exactly what everyone should think when going to a show. If you're going just to win, it better be a big show with clearly defined judging criteria. And even then you're still at the mercy of a volunteer judge. I use to take my NCRS Top Flight C4 to shows. It never did well at local shows because it didn't have the "wow" factor. But that didn't stop me from enjoying myself.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Very true Ed !

Toque
Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mark03c5

Dude, I was just kidding.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I go to a show almost every year where the majority of the trophies go to the members of the club putting on the show.
It's all political BS. That club trying to fluff the feathers of their own members.
The club I'm in puts on a show every year and as a rule, our cars don't get judged. We do give out forms for the attendees to pick one of ours, the host club, as a People's Choice. The members don't have any part of the PC award. Hell, we're too busy taking care of our guests. It takes a lot of work to put a car show on.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
The club I'm in puts on a show every year and as a rule, our cars don't get judged. We do give out forms for the attendees to pick one of ours, the host club, as a People's Choice. The members don't have any part of the PC award. Hell, we're too busy taking care of our guests. It takes a lot of work to put a car show on.
Thats the way to do it....

Toque
Old 09-17-2014, 11:50 AM
mark03c5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
mark03c5

Dude, I was just kidding.
Sorry if I took it the wrong way.Im ok with the way it turned out I know I had one of the better cars in my mine and to my son.that's what counts.plus the rep fro the car club called and said we were judged in the c6 class.I understand fully.the club members cars can't be judge.well anyway everything cool and I will go back.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:05 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Judging and trophies are bit cheesy. The whole point is to see cool cars and hang out with people of which you have something in common. The biggest problem to me is that it is tough to drink beer at car shows because you have to drive home. A car show that can solve this issue will get my entry!! LOL
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
The biggest problem to me is that it is tough to drink beer at car shows because you have to drive home. A car show that can solve this issue will get my entry!! LOL
This is why I got my daughters into cars. I knew it would inevitably lead to them enjoying hanging out at car shows, and once they have their driver's licenses one of them can drive me home. Problem solved.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I agree. Judging and trophies are bit cheesy. The whole point is to see cool cars and hang out with people of which you have something in common. The biggest problem to me is that it is tough to drink beer at car shows because you have to drive home. A car show that can solve this issue will get my entry!! LOL
This is why I got my daughters into cars. I knew it would inevitably lead to them enjoying hanging out at car shows, and once they have their driver's licenses one of them can drive me home. Problem solved.
You mean you don't have a trained designated driver Corvette Show monkey?! I keep mine in the trunk.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

here you go skip the next show and buy this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Car-Show-Trophy-RFA-0752-8-tall-Free-Engraving-/151408408112?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item2340a4f630&vxp=mtr
Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!!! I hope my daughter can drive my car when she learns to drive. I'm not sure I am willing to teach her to drive a manual in my car though. I don't think I will go buy an old tercel with a manual in order to do it either. I guess maybe some beginner driver schools have manuals?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by nwolkonsky

Frankly, there are some people with taste only in their mouth.
Isn't that the truth?!

Nice!!! I hope my daughter can drive my car when she learns to drive. I'm not sure I am willing to teach her to drive a manual in my car though. I don't think I will go buy an old tercel with a manual in order to do it either. I guess maybe some beginner driver schools have manuals?
My oldest never wanted to learn. Still doesn't. The youngest learned easily on my c6. Then I bought her a c5 which was much harder to shift and the clutch was much tighter, so she didn't like it at all. She ended up driving my automatic c5 instead. <sigh>

As for car shows. I love them! It's fun seeing everyone's cars and visiting. However, I don't Show and Shine. I Park and Walk.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:42 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I learned to drive a manual in a '69 big block. It's actually the only manual transmission car I've driven more than once.

Quick Reply: Bad judging at car show