Sponsored by:

Driver's side headlight will not rise on my C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:45 PM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Driver's side headlight will not rise on my C5

I know that has been pretty much beat to death but I am a slow learner. My driver's side headlight will not rise up on my 1998 convertible. The motor does not make any noise at all and can be raised and lowered manually. Here is my question based on my search of the numerous threads, I have pretty much eliminated the "gear" issue. From what I have read if the lights come on, which they both do, but the lights do not raise up it is likely the headlight control module. However, if one does but the other doesn't would that still be the module? or just the motor itself is bad. I am leaning toward the later, i.e. the motor is bad. Am I totally out of line on my assumption? As info, I don't have any kind of electrical testing device and wouldn't like know how to use it even if I did so I haven't tried to check out if it is the motor. Thanks....."Mac"
Old 09-14-2014, 01:03 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Try this - using the manual ****, turn it a couple of turns (like you were going to open it manually) then stop and go turn on the head lights. If it opens now, you need to replace the gear. Had that exact issue on mine a couple of months ago. Went ahead and replaced both sides to avoid future issues.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:12 PM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

4XLR8N: Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that and still a no go.....but thanks again...."Mac"
Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 AM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

bump...
Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I usually try the easy and cheap fixes first...then go to the more difficult and expensive.
Each headlight has four bump stops. They are tabs that limit the amount of open and close to the headlight. They are covered with a rubber/plastic cover that wears out over time and they need to be replaced.
Check the bump stops for the covers and get back to us.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The bump stops can cause your problem. If not then the headlight door control module could be bad. You can move the passenger side stops to the driver side for a test.

The module has an output for each headlight door and if it is bad it can tell one door to open but not the other.

At home I have a link for where to get the stops, they are not a GM part you can buy.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 PM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

Default bump stops

Pardon my ignorance but where are these bump stops located. Thanks...
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 PM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

Default bumper stops

I could find 3 of the 4 and they appear to be okay. I flipped the ones in the back over and that didn't seem to do anything. I have also used the manual control to slightly raise the headlight and then turn on the lights and that doesn't do anything either.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

If you can raise the door manually and have it close automatically then the motor is ok. If you think the motor is bad then we can jumper power to it and test it. Can get the wire info if you need it.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 AM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

Default manual

Dadaroo: Actually, it will not work either way. While the light comes on when I turn the lights on, the left side (driver's side) does not raise up or lower automatically. I have to manually raise and lower it. Last night I disconnected the connection for that light and the wire were clean with no sign of corrosion at all. While I didn't take it off, the ground at that location also had not visible corrosion. I would like to try that jumper to see if it is the motor. Having said that I have not physically looked at the control module yet to see if it is "split" like I have seen on other threads. I am not sure if I have to remove part of the passenger light to get to it or to even view it. I really appreciate all of the suggestions and input. This is my first Vette and it is new to me. Again, thanks.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Taking my daughter to school now, will get the jumper info shortly.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

OK, I'm back. If you look at the connector for the driver headlights/door there is a Dark Green and a Light Green wire for the motor. If you put 12V power on the Light Green wire and a ground to the Dark Green wire the motor should make the door go up. Do the opposite and the door should go down.

If you can't probe the back side of the connector to do this then unplug it and try to power the motor pins. Let me know if you need any more info.

PS: The outputs from the module are split. One input to the module with two outputs.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 AM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

Dadaroo: Thanks...I am at work now and will try to get home in time tonight to try that...It might be a day or two before I get back to you. Thanks again for your help...."Mac"
Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 PM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

Dadaroo: I jumped the motor on the driver's side and it worked with power came directly from the battery. It went up one way and down when I reversed the power on the wires. Am I safe to assume then that the motor itself is good and now I can only assume that I either have a bad ground on the drivers side or the control module is bad? "Mac"
Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Very good. I forgot the module has two motor fuses. Check fuse 4 in the engine fuse box and make sure it is good. Sorry about that.

The module has only one ground wire so we know that is good since the other door works.

If the fuse is good then you have an issue with the module or maybe one of those two wires is bad. You could do a test by checking continuity of the wires from the module to the door connector.

Also you can make sure you get power to the input of the module by checking voltage to both of the Orange wires feeding the module. The driver side power goes to connector pin B but you can check both if you can't locate pin B.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 AM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

Dadaroo: I am at work so I will try to check the fuse tonight. Again, I really appreciate your help with this...so far you have saved me from ordering a motor which I obviously don't need. I am really seeing the value of forums such as this and expecially people like you and others who are willing to share their knowledge, experiences and expertise for those of us who are somewhat mechanically/electrically challenged. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again...."Mac"
Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

You are welcome. I like to help people who are willing to try and work on their car.

With that said, in your first post you didn't seem to want to do electrical diagnostics but you did a great job on the jumpering. I have helped a number of people learn how to do resistance/continuity and voltage checks with a simple Multimeter. If you want to learn we can talk on the phone first and then you can view some really good YouTube videos. We can get you up to speed quickly.

Or. if you have a friend that can do it that would work also.

If you want to talk over anything just PM me with your phone number.

Mr. Sam at your service.

Last edited by dadaroo; 09-19-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:45 AM
BigMacNebraska
Heel & Toe

dadaroo: well I checked the fuse and of course I couldn't be that lucky.....Haven't had a chance to check the ground connections yet. I am guessing that if I check the wiring harness side of the two motor wires, after I turn on the headlights, I would be able to tell if I have power to the motor itself correct? I am also guessing that might be redundant though given the fact that when I jumped power directly to the motor that the motor worked....Just trying to mentally go backwards from the motor....Would I be getting any kind of codes on this? I haven't checked that.....Thanks again....

Get notified of new replies

To Driver's side headlight will not rise on my C5

Quick Reply: Driver's side headlight will not rise on my C5