Slammed and the roads ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by calguy
When it comes to deplorable roads, I think the Los Angeles metro area would rank number one.
The roads here are really terrible.
I offered a solution to the city council, and the state, but that fell on deaf ears.
I don't think there is a city or state that isn't crunched when it comes to finances.
My solution was very simple.
A city, or state could have a weekly, or monthly lottery, and the proceeds would go for one purpose only, road construction.
People hate an increase in any tax, but would be more than willing to spend a few bucks on a lottery where they have a chance of winning big.
Money generated by such a lottery would go a long way in fixing deplorable roads.
Bob.
Good idea but so many lotteries already. The corrupt politicians and teachers union already got most of the money from these lotteries.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Hombre
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to deplorable roads, I think the Los Angeles metro area would rank number one.
The roads here are really terrible.
I offered a solution to the city council, and the state, but that fell on deaf ears.
I don't think there is a city or state that isn't crunched when it comes to finances.
My solution was very simple.
A city, or state could have a weekly, or monthly lottery, and the proceeds would go for one purpose only, road construction.
People hate an increase in any tax, but would be more than willing to spend a few bucks on a lottery where they have a chance of winning big.
Money generated by such a lottery would go a long way in fixing deplorable roads.
Bob.
California has already been there and done that. The Lottery in California was passed and ran on the premise that the school system would get a very high percentage of "ALL" lottery revenues. That's all and well on paper however soon the state tired of this money coming in and them not getting there cut for there Vast social programs. So in there Gov't wisdom they cut the schools budget by the amount that the lottery provided. Viola schools were right back to square one and in a very short period of time.

The problem in California and the roads has a simple fix. Get rid of Cal-Trans ( who is in control of all State Roads) and put it up to private bids. Ever seen Cal-Trans crew repairing just a simple Pot Hole? There will be 8 or more guys two will be working and the rest are holding there shovels up by leaning on them. Anytime you "invite" the Gov't in to help solve a problem you have screwed the pooch. A State run Lottery to solve the road problem is just a really bad idea on many levels.

RS
Old 09-16-2014, 02:26 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hombre
California has already been there and done that. The Lottery in California was passed and ran on the premise that the school system would get a very high percentage of "ALL" lottery revenues. That's all and well on paper however soon the state tired of this money coming in and them not getting there cut for there Vast social programs. So in there Gov't wisdom they cut the schools budget by the amount that the lottery provided. Viola schools were right back to square one and in a very short period of time.

The problem in California and the roads has a simple fix. Get rid of Cal-Trans ( who is in control of all State Roads) and put it up to private bids. Ever seen Cal-Trans crew repairing just a simple Pot Hole? There will be 8 or more guys two will be working and the rest are holding there shovels up by leaning on them. Anytime you "invite" the Gov't in to help solve a problem you have screwed the pooch. A State run Lottery to solve the road problem is just a really bad idea on many levels.

RS

I respectfully have to disagree with you.
A city/state lottery with legislation written into it stating the funds are only to be used to pay winners, and the balance would be for road construction only.
Also written into the lottery previsions would be, if funds collected are used for any other purpose other than road construction, the lottery would cease immediately, and refunds issued to current ticket holders.
Also, that no amendments or condition other than those spelled out here, could be added to the lottery legislation.
Under the legislation, the funds could not be used to prop up the city, or states general fund,or be used for schools and education.
It would strictly be used to fix roads in the cities, counties, and state.
And one very important part of the legislation would be that the bill could not be changed, or amended in any way, except to do away with the lottery if something is in violation of the purpose and intent of the lottery.
Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 09-16-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Hombre
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I respectfully have to disagree with you.
A city/state lottery with legislation written into it stating the funds are only to be used to pay winners, and the balance would be for road construction only.
Also written into the lottery previsions would be, if funds collected are used for any other purpose other than road construction, the lottery would cease immediately, and refunds issued to current ticket holders.
Also, that no amendments or condition other than those spelled out here, could be added to the lottery legislation.
Under the legislation, the funds could not be used to prop up the city, or states general fund,or be used for schools and education.
It would strictly be used to fix roads in the cities, counties, and state.
And one very important part of the legislation would be that the bill could not be changed, or amended in any way, except to do away with the lottery if something is in violation of the purpose and intent of the lottery.
Bob.
I do understand what you are saying, but we live in the real world. Do you really think that a bill written as you outline above would have any chance what so ever of passing, as is in, the Liberal world of politics in the State Of California?

We are talking about a State that has elected and re-elected and in some cases for "DECADES" the likes of Pelosi, Boxer and Dianne Feinstein on the federal level. Not to mention what they have (the voters) done to state Gov't. Pelosi alone is so far out of touch with realty that just last week stated that if the Conservative's won controlling interest in the Senate that it would be just as bad in this country as it is today in the ISIS controlled areas of Iraq and Syria.

The idea you propose is not to bad of an idea really, its chances of passing are NILL. The state will never let a law come into being that takes any control away from Sacramento.

RS

Quick Reply: Slammed and the roads ?