Sponsored by:

leaving gas in car that is stored for winter

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dquagliaroli
Not to be picky - run down to a quarter of a tank, at Stabil, and then fill.
I always run mine down to nearly empty and add the Stabil at the gas station before I fill the tank. You should also drive the car for several miles to make sure the Stabil has gotten into your fuel system.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Never had an issue and don't use additives on my 2 Vettes. Stored from Nov thru April.

I also store a 35 Ford flathead for a friend - car has not been started in two years, had a partially full tank and no additives. Installed a fully charged battery last month, primed the carb a little and it started and ran just fine.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
Last winter when I had the C4 and C5, I filled both up with gas and stored them in the garage with the exhaust pointing out, about once every two weeks I'd start them for about 10 minutes each, by March/April I only used less then 1/4th. I figured it would keep the engine lubed instead of everything settling in the pan and having a cold crank with no lubricant on the top of the engine and having metal to metal contact after 3 months of dormancy.
I use to do that, but I was told that is actually worse than letting it sit. I was told if you don't allow the engine to really heat up, you are creating condensation, especially in the exhaust, that will eventually cause rust from the inside. Others more knowledgeable will probably be able to tell you more, but it made sense to me.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Having a small engine repair shop many years ago I can attest to the fact that gasoline breaks down after long term storage. 90% of repairs had to do with bad gas gumming up the works after storage. You should see what happens to gas with ethanol after sitting for extended periods. Of course your car may start, but later on you may experience gas gauge, injector, fuel filter etc trouble. Gas does go bad.
Gas stabilizers are cheap insurance, if you really care about your car.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-16-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Never had an issue and don't use additives on my 2 Vettes. Stored from Nov thru April.

I also store a 35 Ford flathead for a friend - car has not been started in two years, had a partially full tank and no additives. Installed a fully charged battery last month, primed the carb a little and it started and ran just fine.
Eventually you may have to rebuild the carb on that flathead.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty amusing, on Fast and Loud last night they started an old model A that sat for 10+ years by putting gas in and a fresh battery. I agree that gas does go bad EVENTUALLY, buy after many cars and bikes, I've never added anything but Techron once or twice a year but never any gas stabilizer.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by JR-01
Eventually you may have to rebuild the carb on that flathead.
Yeah, I suspect you're right. But it won't be because of old gas. I believe it has more to do with the additives (such as ethanol and others) that deterioriate the non-metallic materials in these older carbs. Fortunately there are plenty of parts still available for these old cars and at this age, rebuilds of many components become almost routine maintenance.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 AM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I never fill the tank. I let it run down below a quarter and then shut it off. Then in the spring I fill it up and have no problems. Iv been doing this for 40 years with my cars and boats, and iv never had a problem!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Yeah, I suspect you're right. But it won't be because of old gas. I believe it has more to do with the additives (such as ethanol and others) that deterioriate the non-metallic materials in these older carbs. Fortunately there are plenty of parts still available for these old cars and at this age, rebuilds of many components become almost routine maintenance.
Hydrocarbons in the gas react with oxygen to produce new compounds that eventually change the chemical composition of the fuel. This leads to gum and varnish deposits in the fuel system.

These deposits and impurities can clog up gas lines and filters, as well the small orifices in a carburetor and the even smaller orifices in a fuel injector. Removing these deposits can be expensive and your vehicle may not run at all or run very poorly until they are removed.

Water contamination

Condensation can form inside your gas tank and lines from heat cycling. Fuels such as E85, which have a high concentration of ethanol alcohol, may be even more susceptible to water contamination, as ethanol likes to draw moisture out of the surrounding air.

Water contamination can be a problem at gas stations with light traffic due to a slightly different kind of heat cycling. The underground storage tanks experience increases and decreases in temperature. This can cause moisture to form and contaminate the fuel. When you fill up at such a station, you're pumping in the water along with the gas. Such low-traffic stations may also have other contaminants in their underground storage tanks, such as rust. They are best avoided when possible.

Water, of course, does not work too well as a fuel in an internal combustion engine. It will cause hard starting and rough running until it's purged from the system. It can also contribute to internal rusting of the gas lines and tank. The resultant scale and small particles can create a true nightmare, sometimes requiring the replacement of the gas lines and tank at considerable expense.

You can reduce the chances of water contamination by keeping your car's gas tank as close to full as possible, especially if the vehicle is going to be left idle for an extended period.

How do you identify bad gas?

One way is to eyeball it. Oxidized fuel often turns darker over time and may even smell sour. You can check stored gasoline by pouring some into a clear glass container and comparing it side-by-side with known fresh gasoline. If your old sample looks noticeably darker than the fresh gas, you have strong evidence the gas has gone bad.

How long does it take for gas to go bad?

That depends on a number of factors. For one, it's hard to know how old the gas you just bought actually is. It may be fresh from the refinery, or it may be a month old already by the time you top off your tank. Some gasoline is mixed with better or more oxidation inhibitors than others.

It's a good rule of thumb to avoid leaving gas in your tank or a storage container for more than a coupe of months, if you can avoid it.

And if you can't?

If you know gas will sit in your tank or a storage container for a couple months, then it's a wise move to buy some fuel system stabilizer and mix it in with the gasoline. Do it before you put the vehicle into long-term storage or before leaving your lawn equipment fuel containers sitting for the winter. The stabilizer helps prevent oxidation, the biggie that can turn gas into garbage that gunks up your system and leads to expensive repair work.

Using fuel system stabilizer for extended storage is preferable to draining the tank and leaving the system dry. This can cause rubber hoses, gaskets and seals to dry-rot and crack, possibly leading to leaks and even a fire. In addition, a dry system can expose the insides of metal fuel lines and your gas tank to air and moisture, which can lead to or accelerate the formation of rust.

Fuel system stabilizer is not a cure-all and it doesn't last forever. It must be mixed with fresh gas before the vehicle is stored, not added to already old gas. It can slow down the oxidation process and keep gas fresh for as long as 12 to 15 months. If you're going to leave the vehicle parked for longer than that, you may want to drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel before returning the vehicle to service
It will be from the varnish and crud from the gas going bad.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,203 Likes on 13,921 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I store mine from around the first of December until mid-March each year. I add a bottle of Sta-Bil and put in a full tank of gas. No problems when I bring it out in the spring.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

a BIG THANK YOU to all for your comments and not one unpleasant one , i'm impressed . looks like a full tank and stabil in both vettes . . .peace
Old 10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

glad i found this thread! my Vette goes into storage at the end of the month. i am going with sta-bil and a full tank of premium thanks to all.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:31 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Really, you don't have to do anything. I would leave it mostly full just because that's how I leave it so I don't have to worry about gas next time I go. A can of Seafoam won't hurt if it makes you feel better. Thank goodness I live in the South so can drive all year round.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:40 PM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I never leave a full tank of gas in my car. It just weighs the car down, not good for the tires or suspension. And all ya have to do is leave a quarter tank in it then fill it up in the spring. I've lived in Michigan all my life, 58 years and I do the same with my boat. It's Never a problem!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
Really, you don't have to do anything. I would leave it mostly full just because that's how I leave it so I don't have to worry about gas next time I go. A can of Seafoam won't hurt if it makes you feel better. Thank goodness I live in the South so can drive all year round.
i know, but i figure better safe than sorry. last fall i put in an expensive (for what it was) GM fuel system treatment and a full tank, had zero problems, but was still worried that my gas would go bad over the 6 months that my car sits till spring. i have to do some research on seafoam, don't know much about it. wish i lived where i could drive my dream car all year round , maybe someday.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhopper408
I never leave a full tank of gas in my car. It just weighs the car down, not good for the tires or suspension. And all ya have to do is leave a quarter tank in it then fill it up in the spring. I've lived in Michigan all my life, 58 years and I do the same with my boat. It's Never a problem!
that is a good point, and i was worried about the weight factor. hmmm, maybe just leave in the half tank or so i have already and just add stabil? oh boy... what to do.

Last edited by red03vette; 10-22-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leaving gas in car that is stored for winter