Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think before you punch it... RIP fellow Corvette driver.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Think before you punch it... RIP fellow Corvette driver.

Guys, all of us, including those of us that really hate street racing, have punched it here and there, and showed other folks a bit of that torque.

Unfortunately, when done indiscriminately and at times, immaturely, bad things- REALLY bad things- Can and typically do happen. This happened yesterday in San Diego, right next to Sea World. Splatter fest, too, from what my local LE buddies told me.

Just think and be safe- God bless!

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...275074141.html
Old 09-15-2014, 05:11 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I don't street race.

But street racing didn't kill this driver, not knowing how to drive killed this guy. And to do it with a passenger in the car? STUPID.

Rest in peace.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:56 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I don't street race.

But street racing didn't kill this driver, not knowing how to drive killed this guy. And to do it with a passenger in the car? STUPID.

Rest in peace.

Unless you know the person that died, how do you know the driver had no skill? Street racing killed him, regardless if it was skill or mechanical or something else that caused the fatality.

Thank you for your service, and I, just like you, I don't street race, but have enjoy track days. Everyone that races or has raced knows that sometimes **** happens, but it's usually not fatal in a controlled environment.

RIP and speedy recovery to the passenger!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been down that road several times. Most of it is good, but it does have some unexpected bumps/dips (at least 8 months ago).

While the Mercedes might have been ok with it, I could see the Vette bottoming out on a turn, and losing control.

You have to do this stuff out of the city if you're going to do it at all, or go to a track, etc. Hope the passenger recovers quickly and without permanent injuries, etc.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traction control, ABS and all of the other computer assists won't save you from being stupid.

My advice: SAVE YOUR RACING FOR THE TRACK! And even then, I've seen plenty of professional drivers seriously injured or worse. So please don't try and tell me that "street racing didn't kill him, he didn't know how to drive".

Too many variables are involved when you start street racing and all of them are beyond your control, ie; a pedestrian stepping out into the street, a tire blowout or suspension failure, the list is endless.

We know our cars are fast. We don't have to prove it on public streets. When you do that, you make the rest of us look bad.

To all of my forum mates and even those of you who annoy me, please enjoy driving (safely) one of the best production cars ever made and remember to keep the shiny side up!

Stu
Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by stu12dozen
Traction control, ABS and all of the other computer assists won't save you from being stupid.

My advice: SAVE YOUR RACING FOR THE TRACK! And even then, I've seen plenty of professional drivers seriously injured or worse. So please don't try and tell me that "street racing didn't kill him, he didn't know how to drive".

Too many variables are involved when you start street racing and all of them are beyond your control, ie; a pedestrian stepping out into the street, a tire blowout or suspension failure, the list is endless.

We know our cars are fast. We don't have to prove it on public streets. When you do that, you make the rest of us look bad.

To all of my forum mates and even those of you who annoy me, please enjoy driving (safely) one of the best production cars ever made and remember to keep the shiny side up!

Stu
Really well put, Stu.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Voodoo13
Racer

Stu
Amen, Brother.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:43 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

I don't street race.

Rest in peace.
Couldn't DISAGREE with you more. Whether or not he was a skilled driver doesn't matter; the fact that he chose to race on a public street with large stationary objects (trees) only a few feet away killed him & seriously injured his passenger. And if those large palm trees hadn't stopped his car there's no telling how many more innocent people he could have killed in the opposite lanes. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,204 Likes on 13,921 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by BamaJ
Whether or not he was a skilled driver doesn't matter; the fact that he chose to race on a public street with large stationary objects (trees) only a few feet away killed him & seriously injured his passenger. And if those large palm trees hadn't stopped his car there's no telling how many more innocent people he could have killed in the opposite lanes. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Hope his passenger recovers. Really stupid move street racing in the first place.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I Have absolutely no sympathy for a street racer... when two cars go toe to toe at excessive speed ( witness with the facts ) especially right in front of a place where children frequent.. and the excess speed cause the death of this stupid driver, it amazes me that someone on this forum would say street racing was not the cause...
I lost my best friend in 1991 to street racing and he was not even involved, not a spectator, or a contributor.. just a good guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.. And his murderers only got 20 years.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:33 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A bit unusual in this incident as it seems that most of the time when the driver of a car that is being stupid and reckless winds up killing the passengers instead of himself.Sorry to say I have witnessed this too many times.I pray that the injured one recovers from the physical wounds.Some never recover from the emotional ones.
Fred
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Mr Math
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't street race.

Rest in peace.
Where are your facts to back this up sarge? What are you basing your assumptions on? Is it possible this accident would not have happened if he was not street racing?

Last edited by Mr Math; 09-16-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Stu
This 1+
Old 09-16-2014, 05:11 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr Math
Where are your facts to back this up sarge? What are you basing your assumptions on? Is it possible this accident would not have happened if he was not street racing?

My facts are in front of your eyes. Good grief.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 09-16-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Mr Math
Pro

Are you people just trying to out stupid each other?

My facts are in front of your eyes. Good grief.
Sorry your royal highness. How dare us peasants disagree with the mighty sarge.

Remember tough guy you don't have your PRC army behind you here. Keep up the name calling it doesn't make your argument stronger

Please explain how street racing doidnt kill him?

Maybe your old eyes need glasses because the fact is he got killed while street racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Think before you punch it... RIP fellow Corvette driver.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Mr Math
Pro

Hey sarge there is that "YOU PEOPLE" comment again. Care to extrapolate?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr Math
Hey sarge there is that "YOU PEOPLE" comment again. Care to extrapolate?
Yes I will, ignorant liberals like yourself is you people.

Now do you understand? I doubt it, but try real hard and it might sink in. I'm getting a little tired of having to explain it to you over and over.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Mr Math
Pro

Yes I will, ignorant liberals like yourself is you people.

Now do you understand? I doubt it, but try real hard and it might sink in. I'm getting a little tired of having to explain it to you over and over.
Once again label someone a liberal because they don't agree with you. Are you that full of yourself. Everyone is not worthy of the big sarge Keep showing your true colors.

Once again how did street racing not get him killed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think before you punch it... RIP fellow Corvette driver.