Sponsored by:

How common are EBCM failures?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default How common are EBCM failures?

I've been reading about EBCM failures and the lack of replacements for pre 2000 C5s.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse complaining about the situation, just wondering how common are the failures?

The EBCM in my 98 convertible still works. I also have a 97 Tahoe, which from what I've read has a suspect EBCM. It also still works.

I guess if it fails, I'll just live without it. The Tahoe was my first car with ABS, I drove for a lot of years before it became standard equipment.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
I've been reading about EBCM failures and the lack of replacements for pre 2000 C5s.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse complaining about the situation, just wondering how common are the failures?

The EBCM in my 98 convertible still works. I also have a 97 Tahoe, which from what I've read has a suspect EBCM. It also still works.

I guess if it fails, I'll just live without it. The Tahoe was my first car with ABS, I drove for a lot of years before it became standard equipment.
Not very common. But as all electrical equiptment, it works or it does not work!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

It's difficult to predict any sort of time or period that EBCM failure may occur because it's not 100% influenced by just general wear rate. Like with most all electronics environmental wear can be a factor. Also wear manner in how you subject your car will factor into it.

The short story is you could go 150,000 miles and not have issues or drive 15,000 miles and have issues. It's hard to simply put a figure that accounts for mileage and time.

I think one thing though that needs to be reiterated more and more that for most everyone in all situations EBCM failure does not completely ground the car into undriveability situations. Unlike the column lock issue that often strands the car, a failing EBCM is simply going to negate the ability to use traction control, ABS, and/or active handling (if equipped). If you do not mind your dash being lit like a Christmas tree and lacking the ability to use those type driving aids then pursuing a used module can be put on the back burner.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
It's difficult to predict any sort of time or period that EBCM failure may occur because it's not 100% influenced by just general wear rate. Like with most all electronics environmental wear can be a factor. Also wear manner in how you subject your car will factor into it.

The short story is you could go 150,000 miles and not have issues or drive 15,000 miles and have issues. It's hard to simply put a figure that accounts for mileage and time.

I think one thing though that needs to be reiterated more and more that for most everyone in all situations EBCM failure does not completely ground the car into undriveability situations. Unlike the column lock issue that often strands the car, a failing EBCM is simply going to negate the ability to use traction control, ABS, and/or active handling (if equipped). If you do not mind your dash being lit like a Christmas tree and lacking the ability to use those type driving aids then pursuing a used module can be put on the back burner.
My dad bought it new in 98. I can't remember if it is an early or late 98. I've read sometime in 98 it was moved from the back to front.

It only has 16000 miles and has spent it's winters in a garage.

This car does not have active handling or the sport (Z51?) suspension, just the base suspension.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM
tmatthews
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny, I have just logged on to figure out my same problem, code C1214. I have a 2001 vert with 20,000 miles. Can someone be a good corvette brother and respond on how to remove the EBCM incase tonight after some more trouble shooting I need to send it out for repair.
THANKS
Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Kahuna1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This place will repair them:

http://www.myairbags.com/abs.php?gcl...FQIvaQodrhoA-w
Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM
tmatthews
Racer

Thanks, was still searching on where it is and then seen your reply.

Last edited by tmatthews; 09-18-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:20 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by tmatthews
Funny, I have just logged on to figure out my same problem, code C1214. I have a 2001 vert with 20,000 miles. Can someone be a good corvette brother and respond on how to remove the EBCM incase tonight after some more trouble shooting I need to send it out for repair.
THANKS
if you're somewhat mechanically inclined you can easily fix it yourself and save the $100+... the 01+ ebcm can be removed separately without disconnecting any brake lines and you open it up and more than likely you will just have to resolder a few pins on a relay, at worst you may have to replace the relay which is a $5 part... mine threw the 1214 code in the middle of a race and would not clear, after resoldering the relay it has been working great... do a search in the tech section, there is a big thread that goes into detail about how to remove the ebcm and fix the culprit
Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 PM
tmatthews
Racer

Thanks for the info. I found that and will try the repair myself. Can't hurt and I cleaned all grounds and replaced 5 year old battery, drove several miles and still have current code C1214. One odd thing is that I can't seem to reset these history codes of B0361 and B0441.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

It's common enough there are businesses that specialize in repairing them.

How's that for common?

It's also common enough that mine doesn't work. Now someone tell me how to turn off those annoying lights so I can get on with my life. Why they put any of that stuff on a car puzzles the mind.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
It's common enough there are businesses that specialize in repairing them.

How's that for common?

It's also common enough that mine doesn't work. Now someone tell me how to turn off those annoying lights so I can get on with my life. Why they put any of that stuff on a car puzzles the mind.
It's not common and your reasoning makes zero sense. There's a business that washes donkey's so just because a business exists doesn't mean the issue is common.

The company that repairs these are in business to do repair on ALL electronic components from ANY car. There's no business that only repairs Corvette EBCM's.

Get notified of new replies

To How common are EBCM failures?

Quick Reply: How common are EBCM failures?