Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My build thread. Awakening the Death Dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Default My build thread. Awakening the Death Dealer.

Well I first want to thank this forum for all of the valuable info and resources it has provided. I puchased my 02 vette about 3 years ago. Found this forum and thats when it all started. The mod bug! There is still work in progress and I will be adding more pics as I go along. The first attack to my wallet was from Dennis at Double D mods. He supplied me with a beautiful double din bezel carbon dipped and half wrapped in leather with red accent stitch with matching leather center console, carbon dipped speedo bezel and door pull bezels. I chose the Alpha Nav head unit with Arc Audio components powered by a Kenwood 5 channel amp. Love the system.

Next in line I needed to repair the dim A\C control display so I sent it off to Dave Inkles Corvette Illumination and had him fix the display and upgrade all of the buttons with red leds. At the same time I upgraded all the door, HUD and DIC buttons, mirror leds,footwells and rear hatch lights with red LED, s from JW Motorsports.

Next I wanted to add an extra feature so I bought a used traction control plate with the ride select switch.Modified the three position switch to operate my backup camera and a front mount camera. My car was not equipped with this option and I wanted to keep it looking factory. Backup camera works normal when put in reverse. I can switch to front or rear cameras on demand even going down the road. Had to make a relay system to make this work.

Got a good portion of the interior knocked out when one day my transmission goes out on me. What to do. Got a new tranny installed a 2800 stall converter and a 3:42 rear transaxle from a Z06.Topped it off with a mail in tune from ECS. Also added a vararam intake during this down time. While pulling the trans a storm came through and wiped out the garage my vette was in. Lucky for me I'm an Alabama fan and the pine tree that took out the garage went through the Auburn fan bay. It did however destroy my exshaust and wheels that where in its path so had to install a B&B Bullet quad exhaust with xpipe.

After the car was rescued from the storm damage and transmission and gears installed I enjoyed driving the car for a while. The stall and new gears really made a difference in excelleration. So now I'm scanning the forum and I'm seeing all of these awesome cars with wide fenders and suddenly become reinfected with the mod bug! So I'm looking at all the different set ups, fenders, wheels and body enhancements and start my quest for wideness. My first score was a used MCM hood from ebay. Then I got a killer deal on a set of L5 rear quarters from forum member in California. I wanted mine to be a little different than what I was seeing so I had my son drop them off at 9k Racing and Joey worked in a set of C6Z06 brake scoops. They utilize all of the factory inserts and ducts to make them fully functional. I think they flow well with the C5 body lines.

So now I have my L5's fitted and all the brake ducts in place. Out fot a drive and dang if luck would have it an armadillo runs out in front of me and pow right into the passenger side brake duct. I was going about 70 on impact and those suckers are tough. Pushed the brake duct back and through the inner fender. Rips out the new HID fog light I just installed and crunches the front bumper. He hitched a ride for about a mile before he fell off. So what to do. I get another bumper and purchase the center portion from a C6 Z06 bumper that has the air scoop and start to mold it into the C5 bumper.

This mishap with the armadillo gave the perfect excuse to start this mod to the front bumper. Forum member Richard Emanuel molded this scoop into a tiger shark front bumper. This inspired my move to do this but to a stock front bumper. I changed mine in that I kept the raised lines of the scoop. Just had to mate the lines of the hood to the bumper to make it flow. Non functional for now. But I love the aggresive look of it. Alsso shaved the front filler plate to complete the look and molded in a lower air vent to make a front feed to the radiator. Made a custom duct that connects to the backside and feeds through the plastic shroud.

So the front bumper is modded. Back on the car and off to the bodyshop for some fresh paint! Been waiting for this for a while. Its amazing how much paint has an effect on the looks of a car. While waiting for the paint I scored a C6Z06 big brake setup. Also found a set of Sport Muscle GS wheels. 19x10 in the front 20x12 in the rear. I searched a while to find these. Saw them on forum member Vettefeva's red 02 widebody and had to have them. Having fresh meat mounted as we speak. Will have them this weekend. Here's a few pics of progress at the bodyshop.

I have paint! Time to get her back home and prepare for brakes, wheels and trim. Sent scoop inserts and mudflaps to get carbon hydro dipped. I couldn't be more pleased with the out come.

Well she's home. I'll be turning wrenches on her all weekend. Cant wait to see the finished product. But will it ever end. I guess the only way to cure yourself of the mod bug is to sell it. Not!! I'll live with the sickness. While it was getting painted I picked these front carbon ZR fenders up.Thanks Kevin. Couldnt pass them up. Just waiting for my son to ship them from California. Oh waiting on a C5R carbon splitter from Pete at Carbon Creations also. This will dress out the front end perfect. I have a set of custom side skirts being worked on based off of the new C7 Z06 profile as well. The C5 is immortal! It travels oceans of time with grace.

Last edited by Stealth02; 09-19-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The double din looks great and will be tuning in to see what else you do to the car.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:40 PM
tcruse
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Subscrided. That center console looks great!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

That's some bad luck on the garage but good thing the Vette made it through alright. That is some beautiful work you have done and it looks great. Keep us up to date with your mods.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth02
Well I first want to thank this forum for all of the valuable info and resources it has provided. I puchased my 02 vette about 3 years ago. Found this forum and thats when it all started. The mod bug! There is still work in progress and I will be adding more pics as I go along. The first attack to my wallet was from Dennis at Double D mods. He supplied me with a beautiful double din bezel carbon dipped and half wrapped in leather with red accent stitch with matching leather center console, carbon dipped speedo bezel and door pull bezels. I chose the Alpha Nav head unit with Arc Audio components powered by a Kenwood 5 channel amp. Love the system.

Next in line I needed to repair the dim A\C control display so I sent it off to Dave Inkles Corvette Illumination and had him fix the display and upgrade all of the buttons with red leds. At the same time I upgraded all the door, HUD and DIC buttons, mirror leds,footwells and rear hatch lights with red LED, s from JW Motorsports.

Next I wanted to add an extra feature so I bought a used traction control plate with the ride select switch.Modified the three position switch to operate my backup camera and a front mount camera. My car was not equipped with this option and I wanted to keep it looking factory. Backup camera works normal when put in reverse. I can switch to front or rear cameras on demand even going down the road. Had to make a relay system to make this work.

Got a good portion of the interior knocked out when one day my transmission goes out on me. What to do. Got a new tranny installed a 2800 stall converter and a 3:42 rear transaxle from a Z06.Topped it off with a mail in tune from ECS. Also added a vararam intake during this down time. While pulling the trans a storm came through and wiped out the garage my vette was in. Lucky for me I'm an Alabama fan and the pine tree that took out the garage went through the Auburn fan bay. It did however destroy my exshaust and wheels that where in its path so had to install a B&B Bullet quad exhaust with xpipe.

After the car was rescued from the storm damage and transmission and gears installed I enjoyed driving the car for a while. The stall and new gears really made a difference in excelleration. So now I'm scanning the forum and I'm seeing all of these awesome cars with wide fenders and suddenly become reinfected with the mod bug! So I'm looking at all the different set ups, fenders, wheels and body enhancements and start my quest for wideness. My first score was a used MCM hood from ebay. Then I got a killer deal on a set of L5 rear quarters from forum member in California. I wanted mine to be a little different than what I was seeing so I had my son drop them off at 9k Racing and Joey worked in a set of C6Z06 brake scoops. They utilize all of the factory inserts and ducts to make them fully functional. I think they flow well with the C5 body lines.

So now I have my L5's fitted and all the brake ducts in place. Out fot a drive and dang if luck would have it an armadillo runs out in front of me and pow right into the passenger side brake duct. I was going about 70 on impact and those suckers are tough. Pushed the brake duct back and through the inner fender. Rips out the new HID fog light I just installed and crunches the front bumper. He hitched a ride for about a mile before he fell off. So what to do. I get another bumper and purchase the center portion from a C6 Z06 bumper that has the air scoop and start to mold it into the C5 bumper.

This mishap with the armadillo gave the perfect excuse to start this mod to the front bumper. Forum member Richard Emanuel molded this scoop into a tiger shark front bumper. This inspired my move to do this but to a stock front bumper. I changed mine in that I kept the raised lines of the scoop. Just had to mate the lines of the hood to the bumper to make it flow. Non functional for now. But I love the aggresive look of it. Alsso shaved the front filler plate to complete the look and molded in a lower air vent to make a front feed to the radiator. Made a custom duct that connects to the backside and feeds through the plastic shroud.

So the front bumper is modded. Back on the car and off to the bodyshop for some fresh paint! Been waiting for this for a while. Its amazing how much paint has an effect on the looks of a car. While waiting for the paint I scored a C6Z06 big brake setup. Also found a set of Sport Muscle GS wheels. 19x10 in the front 20x12 in the rear. I searched a while to find these. Saw them on forum member Vettefeva's red 02 widebody and had to have them. Having fresh meat mounted as we speak. Will have them this weekend. Here's a few pics of progress at the bodyshop.

I have paint! Time to get her back home and prepare for brakes, wheels and trim. Sent scoop inserts and mudflaps to get carbon hydro dipped. I couldn't be more pleased with the out come.

Well she's home. I'll be turning wrenches on her all weekend. Cant wait to see the finished product. But will it ever end. I guess the only way to cure yourself of the mod bug is to sell it. Not!! I'll live with the sickness. While it was getting painted I picked thes front carbon ZR fenders up. Super cheap. Couldnt pass them up. Just waiting for my son to ship them from California. Oh waiting on a C5R carbon splitter from Pete at Carbon Creations also. This will dress out the front end perfect. I have a set of custom side skirts being worked on based off of the new C7 Z06 profile as well. The C5 is immortal! It travels oceans of time with grace.
Everything looks sweeeet.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice build thread!! Looks great!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Congrats on a great build, love the rear fenders
Old 09-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Got my wheels back from the shop with new tires mounted and balanced. Test fit tomorrow. Then mounting the Z brakes. Should have enough small things left to piddle with until the C5R front splitter arrives. Just got a pic from Danny at Dixie Hydrographics. Just finished dipping my front and rear scoop inserts, mudflaps, foglight screens and ac vents. Should be ready to pic on Wednesday and get them all installed.

Last edited by Stealth02; 09-21-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:37 PM
civi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed too. Love the first two interior mods for sure. Doing them on mine when the $ flows. Great job!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Subscribed
Nice upgrades you're having done.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:25 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Very custom - looks fantastic!

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-22-2014, 10:44 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I know that body shop! Been there many times to deliver parts years ago
Old 09-22-2014, 09:25 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

Perhaps I'm confused by bondo in a front bumper can't be an improvement of the OEM stuff, can it? I've rebuilt a wreck or two on a budget but that just ain't right
Old 09-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Its not bondo. I used two types of 3m epoxy that is specifically made to bond flexible plastics. The scoop is from a C6 Z06 bumper. The front filler plate is there , just filled and smoothed with epoxy. The lower vent was molded out of the fog light surrounds from another C5 bumper. Just wanted something different but still have the C5 characteristics. No different than bolting on a tigershark bumper or any other custom piece.

Last edited by Stealth02; 09-22-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Test fit the tires this week. Mounted the C6Z06 brake calipers and rotors as well. Still waiting for my carbon hydro trim pieces. Should have them by Monday. Got my tracking info from Pete for the C5R front splitter. Looking for it any day. Cant wait. Just ordered some GS front fender stripes in a brushed metal vinyl with the new C7 Jake cut out. Going to try and pull this all together by next weekend and finish it.

Last edited by Stealth02; 09-26-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Got a few more parts in. Ryan at Bomb motors cut a set of these GS stripes for me. The vinyl looks like brushed metal. Carbon C5R splitter will be here today. Will post pics when installed.

Last edited by Stealth02; 09-30-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

interesting...

Get notified of new replies

To My build thread. Awakening the Death Dealer.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldC5
Everything looks sweeeet.
Thank you for quoting the entire post.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking good! Your headlight covers could use some aligning, they throw the front end off. Simple to do, just takes patience.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Matthew J Stokes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Job!https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...es/patriot.gif

Quick Reply: My build thread. Awakening the Death Dealer.