Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY getting around to the driveline upgrades!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:34 AM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FINALLY getting around to the driveline upgrades!!

Hello Everyone,

Well, the stars have finally aligned, and I was able to get started on the driveline upgrades this weekend!

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, (life sometimes gets in the way of hobby time!) but I did get a really good bit done.

The end result will be new bearings and rubber couplers in the driveshaft, a Yank 3600 stall TQ converter, a new trans filter and gasket, a new trans oil cooler, a new stainless axle back exhaust (to finish off the Kooks stainless headers and catted X pipe that I installed last year) and C6 ZO6 internals for the differential.

This morning I started of the day by removing the cradle:

It is a ~little~ dirty!

As a side note....I am COMPLETELY baffled as to how someone would be able to remove the stock axle-back exhaust (without cutting it) without removing the entire rear end!!

And here's a picture of what has to be the dirtiest differential / transmission in the world~

Oh yeah.....if you are gonna do this, I'd suggest....really suggest that you remember to drain the differential BEFORE you lower it out of the car....just sayin.....

I don't care what ANYONE says....that unit was a heavy sumbitch!! I was really wishing for a transmission jack and a helper!!

Here's a shot of the Trans / Diff separated from the TQ tube:

And here's a shot of the Trans and Differential separated from one another:

Here's a shot of the greasy little differential, just before it's trip to the car wash:

And here it is, still wet from it's bath:

And here's a shot of the freshly washed transmission:

I ~think~ that it's time for new driveshaft bushings.....whaddaya think?

One side:

The other side:

Here's Jack doin the happy dance....he loves the car almost as much as I do. According to him, it's "our Corvette." I'm good with that!

All-in-all, a pretty good day. I got the drive train out, got the diff and trans cleaned up, got the trans filter and gasket replaced, got the TQ tube disassembled, (I'll press in the new bearings and reassemble this week) and got the differential disassembled. I plan to replace both the differential shafts, clutches, belleville washers tomorrow at work. We'll see how THAT goes!

During the disassembly I discovered that I need a new transmission mount. I'll get that ordered so hopefully it'll get here before I'm ready for it.

More to come, thanks for looking!!

Regards,
KoreaJon
Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Hey Koreajon,

Man thanks for sharing such good pics of your progress! Congrats on all you have gotten done and congrats on having an awesome sidekick

Keep us posted
Old 09-21-2014, 06:16 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

"As a side note....I am COMPLETELY baffled as to how someone would be able to remove the stock axle-back exhaust (without cutting it) without removing the entire rear end!!"

The cat-back exhaust will come out, in one piece, over the top of the rear differential. But you must get the car up in the air somewhere around 40 inches, give or take a little.
I'm not sure what is the minimum needed, but somewhere near this. Up on a hoist, or lift, they come out fairly easily (in one piece, without cutting).
Usually, just up on jack stands, is not high enough.

Don
Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great progress for one days work!!!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,228 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'd say you did really well for just one day's work. Nice job and good luck with the rest of the project.

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY getting around to the driveline upgrades!!

Quick Reply: FINALLY getting around to the driveline upgrades!!